The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University - what's the area like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What a load of *******s has been talked on this thread.

The area round the campus is absolutely fine. Beeston and Wollaton are middle class suburbs and Lenton is student central. Radford hasn't been dangerous since the 80s. The only reason Lenton has high burglaries is because students are generally too stupid to lock their backdoor when they go to the pub. All student areas have high burglary rates.

The City centre is fine, as long as you don't mind getting chatted up by old ladies on and hen dos. 90% of Greater Nottingham is fine. Even the meadows and stanz are alright as long as you don't go late at night wearing a black and white bandana or something stupid like that.

I lived in Nottingham for 5 years and it was the safest, friendliest place I have ever lived. I don't know a single person who suffered from crime in the entire time I was there.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Having lived in Nottingham City for 5 years, and having never been robbed, mugged, stabbed, shot, etc etc, I can say it is a nice place. And I temporarily lived in one of the hideous areas. The horrid areas are nowhere near the beautiful Uni of Nottingham campus - every City has crime its not just Nottingham. Use your common sense and you will be fine.
Original post by py0alb
as long as you don't mind getting chatted up by old ladies on and hen dos.

This has never happened to me or anyone I know...

What are you doing differently?
Reply 43
Original post by cunningstunt87
This has never happened to me or anyone I know...

What are you doing differently?

Going to town on a Bank Holiday Sunday possibly?

During the summer there are always loads of stag and hen do's wandering around the market square at 3am asking for directions to the nearest strip club.
As my details show, I live in Nottingham and quite frankly there is a fair amount of the usual media-hyped trot and stereotype being chucked about on this thread.

I'm not from Nottingham originally, born in Detroit and lived in and around London most of my life so know truely crap cities when I see them and Nottingham certainly isn't one of them. Yes, as with all cities, it has it's less desirable areas but that often required though frequently forgotten attribute known as 'common sense' should steer you right.

Whilst waiting to start university I had a part-time job at Sainsbury's in Lenton, slap bang in the middle of student central. Now given we were one of the few places to stay open late at night selling alcohol in the area, I experienced very little in the way of trouble from locals towards students or ourselves, the locals (such as those in the flats just off Derby Rd) seem far more interested in keeping to themselves.

The public transport system in Nottingham is fantastic with night buses running on most main routes, so there really is no need to be wandering about late at night alone (something that carries risk in just about any part of the UK) and taxis are relatively cheap and plentiful for those more 'hard to reach' and out of the way places.

As has also been mentioned, crimes against students, when they do happen, are generally as a result of student's own stupidity. In an ideal world where clouds are made of cotton candy and gummy bears run free through the streets you'd be able to leave a ground floor window leading to a room full of highly desirable and easy to ell-on electrical goods open, but this the real world. Cities (all cities) have dodgy people in them and (shock horror), some of those people are students. Yes, thats right, much crime that affects students is actually caused by members of the same student body.

So, should you come to Nottingham to study? Its an excellent university (and Trent isn't too bad either), the city it is located in is no more 'dodgy' than many other cities up and down the country but is definately better than some, it has fantastic transport connections to other areas of the country (the train service to London is cheap and fairly reliable for instance) and as a city there is plenty to do. Whether these points (and others discussed) make it more attractive than going to somewhere like Exeter is down to the individual though.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I went for a walk around the centre when I came up for the open day. I'm hoping to study Mech Eng there or Warwick. It was really nice, although the actual shopping centre (Broadmarsh Westfield) was crap, I think its undergoing redevelopment though.

This isn't the main shopping centre. I made the same mistake when I came to look round. Broadmarsh is mostly full of pound shops etc. Victoria Centre is the main shopping centre, it's way better. Broadmarsh is also in the area of shops that aren't as nice so whatever you do don't judge it by that. Also, the whole 'you aren't safe' Shottingham thing is MASSIVELY MASSIVELY overplayed. I was terrified before I came because of the hype and as far as I can see thus far its just not true. Yes, there are robberies, same as everywhere else, but the only people I know who've been robbed have left windows open when they've gone out or left their stuff on plain view etc. I walk back (with other people) after most night out, my housemate walks back from uni at night after work and last night I went for a run round the city at 10pm at night on my own. So long as you aren't stupid and don't walk alone down random streets/go through dodgy areas/flaunt your belongings next to open windows then you'll be fine. And campus is gorgeous and from my experiences very safe.
Oh and my friend does Mech Eng here, he likes it :smile:
Reply 46
I read this thread and like the last few posts started to get really confused. Are you guys really talking about Nottingham or are you employed by another uni?

I've walked around, off-campus, by myself, many times and alas there has yet to be an appeal asking for information about my murder because, well, I am alive and well. You get crime everywhere - Nottingham is a bad city but it isn't as bad as it is being made out. Yes, there are problem areas, but you actually have to make a concerted effort to end up in one. I haven't had my car stolen, or any of my belongings. I've never been threatened, or intimidated or got concerned that I was in any danger.

Burglary is high in Nottingham, not least because students are dim. I have often seen many student homes with open doors, windows and belongings in view. If you make it easy for your belongings to get stolen, you are asking for someone to steal them.

The city itself is very lively and a very pleasant place to be. It has a large variety of shops and nightlife and always has things to do - no matter what you like doing.

This thread is full of FUD. If you are a person who will leave their Mac in their window with the front door open and no-one home, I suggest you avoid Nottingham. Otherwise, the likelihood is, you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending