The Student Room Group

Is University of Manchester a good one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cora Lindsay
To answer the question you asked back at the beginning, you would go through a good Masters programme in either Manchester or Leeds. Both are similar large city universities so it starts to come down to details- are there features of one course which makes it fits your aspirations better; would you prefer to live in one city rather than the other?

MSc Design is the course which I have always dreamt for. It has the widest scope and I can move into any industry with the knowledge about Design. I am not concerned about living in one city or not...In fact I would love a touring job as a matter of fact....However, location doesnt matters to me.
Original post by schumi2124
MSc Design is the course which I have always dreamt for.

So have you just answered your own question then?
Reply 42
So have you just answered your own question then?

Dear Cora,
My main question or rather my cause of worry is that will this degree from Manchester be able to kickstart my career? Will Manchester on my resume be able to get me a good job in the world market in my field? thats the question which people who have knowledge about ground realities or have known Manchester alumni personally/professionally can answer correctly.
Manchester has the highest number of companies who take gradutes from their Uni than any other, not sure about MEng in specific. A lot of companies from big to medium and small have strong ties to Manchester, so you cant really go wrong.
OK. Going back to your orginal question-

I have received conditional offer from:
University of Manchester- MSc Mechanical engg. design
University of Leeds- MSc Advanced Mechanical engg.

I am also inclined towards Edinburgh, however they dont have any interesting course ( according to me) in my domain. I would like suggestions which univ i shud go for? I still have plenty of time to start my application @ Bristol, southampton, sheffield etc. Please do suggest me whats the repo of Manchester, Leeds?? Is Edinburgh better than Manchester univ in my domain? all suggestions are welcome

You have offers from Manchester and Leeds.

I work with Engineering in both Manchester and Leeds so I have some knowledge of them, though I can't comment on the specifics of the programmes you have applied for. However, both seem pretty similar to me and I'd expect you'd get a good quality course from either.

You say Edinburgh has nothing which interests you, in which case I don't quite see why you are considering it further.

Then you mention Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield. I know nothing about Engineering at Bristol or Southampton but work a bit with Sheffield. I'd say Manchester or Leeds rather than Sheffield. With Bristol and Southampton, they're decent universities but, as I say, I don't know specifics, so isn't the first question perhaps whether they actually offer a course you want to do?

Hope this helps

C
Reply 45
With Bristol and Southampton, they're decent universities but, as I say, I don't know specifics, so isn't the first question perhaps whether they actually offer a course you want to do?

C

Well as far as I have seen these University websites.. they mainly give the course MSc ADVANCED MECHANICAL ENGINEERING... which sounds quite general..although they have flexibility of choosing the modules, but not totally DESIGN specific, which I wish for.

Besides Mech. Engg in DESIGN domain are one of the most sought after people in India. I wish to get international work exp of a couple of years and then move back to India or USA someday. The only doubt in my mind is what if I am unable to get a job over there in EU/ anywhere in the world, after doing this course??? One of my friend who is doing his MS in Germany tells me that I should just focus on learning and improving my profile and then companies will hire me automatically after graduation/ masters, no matter how recession hit UK/EU gets. I also dont wish to work in UK for long, just wish to get that intial work experience and main concern is will Manchester Univ be able to promote my value to get that work exp easily or will I have to toil hard even after doing so much of hardwork in academics?

Your replies are really very helpful and thanks a lot for giving time to answer my query.
Well as far as I have seen these University websites.. they mainly give the course MSc ADVANCED MECHANICAL ENGINEERING... which sounds quite general..although they have flexibility of choosing the modules, but not totally DESIGN specific, which I wish for.

Besides Mech. Engg in DESIGN domain are one of the most sought after people in India. I wish to get international work exp of a couple of years and then move back to India or USA someday. The only doubt in my mind is what if I am unable to get a job over there in EU/ anywhere in the world, after doing this course??? One of my friend who is doing his MS in Germany tells me that I should just focus on learning and improving my profile and then companies will hire me automatically after graduation/ masters, no matter how recession hit UK/EU gets. I also dont wish to work in UK for long, just wish to get that intial work experience and main concern is will Manchester Univ be able to promote my value to get that work exp easily or will I have to toil hard even after doing so much of hardwork in academics?

Your replies are really very helpful and thanks a lot for giving time to answer my query.

So if it is 'Design' which matters to you then, as you say, the Manchester course is the one which appears closest to your needs.

As an earlier poster says, Manchester has very good connections with potential employers, and that is my impression too. Whether Leeds is better, I can't say, but I would be very surprised if it was.
Reply 47
So if it is 'Design' which matters to you then, as you say, the Manchester course is the one which appears closest to your needs.

As an earlier poster says, Manchester has very good connections with potential employers, and that is my impression too. Whether Leeds is better, I can't say, but I would be very surprised if it was.

Thanks Cora for so many replies. I am gonna go for Manchester I think, rest would be my destiny.... As Steve Jobs once said ," Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

I believe I should go for it with my best efforts and rest the things will automatically be sorted out. Thanks for ur help
Thanks Cora for so many replies. I am gonna go for Manchester I think, rest would be my destiny.... As Steve Jobs once said ," Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

I believe I should go for it with my best efforts and rest the things will automatically be sorted out. Thanks for ur help

Glad to help. Good luck!
Reply 49
i am also a Mechanical engineering design aspirant got offer from manchester for this Intake. For me, i was confused me the course in Manchester and BATH:smile:
I am also an Indian wishing to study mechanical in manchester university.I would like to know if they offer any scholarships for Indian students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending