The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Chinese/Japanese with Korean at SOAS

Hello all.
I am in Year 12 at the moment, so I'm not applying to uni this year. However I would like to apply for Chinese with Korean at SOAS next year, but the degree structures aren't listed anywhere on the website. Could someone who is taking/has taken this degree (or Japanese/Korean) please tell me how many units one takes for each year, etc.? I also heard that only Chinese/Japanese is studied for the first year, and then Korean begins after that? I don't want to email SOAS about it since I'm not applying this year..
Thank you : D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact structure but Korean is taken as a minor, so there are much fewer units than Chinese. I think you are right in saying that you don't take any Korean classes in the first year (I'm not sure because I only know people who changed their degree to Chinese with Korean after they got back from Beijing). I imagine that's how it would be even if you applied for that straight off the bat anyway though - I think it wouldn't really be worth doing one unit of Korean out of four in your first year and then not following it up in your second year in Beijing. In your third and fourth year, I imagine you wouldn't take more than two units out of four of Korean, but don't take my absolute word for it...! I think most of the reasoning behind this is that if you do either Chinese or Japanese, you have to spend your year abroad there rather than being able to spend it in Korea. I imagine the reasoning behind this is that there aren't enough appropriate units to offer someone who would have spent a year in Korea who wanted to continue with the other language. Chinese and Japanese are much more popular and so they are catering towards that - there just wouldn't be enough time to spend in both countries to sufficiently improve your language skills so you have to opt for the more popular one as your major subject. Other subjects, such as History or Politics are much more balanced - Korean is the only 'minor' that is offered in combination with these languages.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by stewe
Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact structure but Korean is taken as a minor, so there are much fewer units than Chinese. I think you are right in saying that you don't take any Korean classes in the first year (I'm not sure because I only know people who changed their degree to Chinese with Korean after they got back from Beijing). I imagine that's how it would be even if you applied for that straight off the bat anyway though - I think it wouldn't really be worth doing one unit of Korean out of four in your first year and then not following it up in your second year in Beijing. In your third and fourth year, I imagine you wouldn't take more than two units out of four of Korean, but don't take my absolute word for it...! I think most of the reasoning behind this is that if you do either Chinese or Japanese, you have to spend your year abroad there rather than being able to spend it in Korea. I imagine the reasoning behind this is that there aren't enough appropriate units to offer someone who would have spent a year in Korea who wanted to continue with the other language. Chinese and Japanese are much more popular and so they are catering towards that - there just wouldn't be enough time to spend in both countries to sufficiently improve your language skills so you have to opt for the more popular one as your major subject. Other subjects, such as History or Politics are much more balanced - Korean is the only 'minor' that is offered in combination with these languages.

Thank you for your response! It doesn't bother me that much to have Chinese as the major. It's understandable, really. Six months in one country isn't enough ><
Is it possible to take floater courses with a double subject degree?
Reply 3
Original post by stewe
Hi,

This is correct, you start your language learning in year 3 if you're doing Chinese. However I think you're obliged to take a non-language Korean module/unit in your first year if you're doing Chinese + Korean combined. I have about 3 friends who are Chinese and Korean students and they're all in my Korean culture/modern history lecture so I'm just assuming it's obligatory.
I would assume Japanese + Korean follows a similar structure but as I'm not aware of any Jp + Ko students in any of my classes I couldn't possibly comment.
Original post by Alhanalem
This is correct, you start your language learning in year 3 if you're doing Chinese. However I think you're obliged to take a non-language Korean module/unit in your first year if you're doing Chinese + Korean combined. I have about 3 friends who are Chinese and Korean students and they're all in my Korean culture/modern history lecture so I'm just assuming it's obligatory.
I would assume Japanese + Korean follows a similar structure but as I'm not aware of any Jp + Ko students in any of my classes I couldn't possibly comment.

So in the first year I would take three Chinese units and one Korean unit being the one about culture in the 20th century? When would I be able to take the Korean 3rd and 4th year units? In the fourth year? I fallen in love with about four already D:

Can I presume it's like this then?
First year:
All Chinese language units + 1 Korean culture unit

Second year:
Beijing

Third year:
Elementary Korean units + some of:
Chinese 301: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language 1 - 155901224 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 302: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language 2 - 155901225 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 303: Modern Chinese Film and Theatre - 155901226 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 304: Traditional Chinese Language and Literature 1 - 155901227 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 305: Elementary Cantonese - 155901228 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Elementary Spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese) - 155901249 (1 Unit) - Full Year

Fourth year:
Some of:
Introduction to Mixed Script Korean - 155900844 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Higher Intermediate Readings in Korean - 155901392 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Korean Conversation - 155900915 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Composition in Korean - 155900722 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Extended Essay in Korean Language and Culture - 155900676 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Korean-English-Korean Translation - 155901276 (1 Unit) - Full Year
History and Structure of the Korean Language - 155901272 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Advanced Readings in Modern Korean - 155900968 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Independent Study Project in Korean Language and Culture - 155900795 (1 Unit) - Full Year

and some of :
Chinese 401: Advanced Modern Chinese Language - 155901229 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 402: BA Dissertation in Chinese Studies - 155901230 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 403: Modern Chinese Literature - 155901231 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 404: Traditional Chinese Language and Literature 2 - 155901232 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 405: Styles of Modern Chinese Literary Language - 155901332 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Elementary Spoken Hokkien (Minnanyu, Taiwanese) - 155901249 (1 Unit) - Full Year

Thank you so much for your reply :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by besarlalluvia
So in the first year I would take three Chinese units and one Korean unit being the one about culture in the 20th century? When would I be able to take the Korean 3rd and 4th year units? In the fourth year? I fallen in love with about four already D:

Can I presume it's like this then?
First year:
All Chinese language units + 1 Korean culture unit

Second year:
Beijing

Third year:
Elementary Korean units + some of:
Chinese 301: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language 1 - 155901224 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 302: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language 2 - 155901225 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 303: Modern Chinese Film and Theatre - 155901226 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 304: Traditional Chinese Language and Literature 1 - 155901227 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 305: Elementary Cantonese - 155901228 (1 Unit) - Full Year

Fourth year:
Some of:
Introduction to Mixed Script Korean - 155900844 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Higher Intermediate Readings in Korean - 155901392 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Korean Conversation - 155900915 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Composition in Korean - 155900722 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Extended Essay in Korean Language and Culture - 155900676 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
Korean-English-Korean Translation - 155901276 (1 Unit) - Full Year
History and Structure of the Korean Language - 155901272 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Advanced Readings in Modern Korean - 155900968 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Independent Study Project in Korean Language and Culture - 155900795 (1 Unit) - Full Year

and some of :
Chinese 401: Advanced Modern Chinese Language - 155901229 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 402: BA Dissertation in Chinese Studies - 155901230 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 403: Modern Chinese Literature - 155901231 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 404: Traditional Chinese Language and Literature 2 - 155901232 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Chinese 405: Styles of Modern Chinese Literary Language - 155901332 (1 Unit) - Full Year

Thank you so much for your reply :smile:

You're most welcome.

Yes I would assume that's pretty much what it's like. But I know for sure that Chinese and Korean students take Elementary Korean 1 and 2 in their 3rd year. So that's two units already for you. I'm assuming in the fourth year it's some kind of random selection.

This is also presuming that the course structure doesn't change.

And yeah it's so annoying, I'm in love with so many units but it's just not possible to take them ;____;
You're most welcome.

Yes I would assume that's pretty much what it's like. But I know for sure that Chinese and Korean students take Elementary Korean 1 and 2 in their 3rd year. So that's two units already for you. I'm assuming in the fourth year it's some kind of random selection.

This is also presuming that the course structure doesn't change.

And yeah it's so annoying, I'm in love with so many units but it's just not possible to take them ;____;

Okay. That sounds pretty okay to me^^ Also, may I ask how many Chinese-Korean students there are roughly? Is it quite a popular combination?
Reply 7
Okay. That sounds pretty okay to me^^ Also, may I ask how many Chinese-Korean students there are roughly? Is it quite a popular combination?

It seems popular to me but out of about 70 on the Chinese course I'd say there's about .. 3 or 4 that I'm sure are Cn+Ko students. Does this constitute as popular? haha. About the same number of Jp+Ko students as well.
It seems popular to me but out of about 70 on the Chinese course I'd say there's about .. 3 or 4 that I'm sure are Cn+Ko students. Does this constitute as popular? haha. About the same number of Jp+Ko students as well.

I presumed that there were more combo students than 3-4 :tongue: but 70 Chinese students is loads! I guess technically the combo students are part of the 70, rather than a separate number..if you get what I mean. Anyway..thank you xD
Reply 9
I presumed that there were more combo students than 3-4 :tongue: but 70 Chinese students is loads! I guess technically the combo students are part of the 70, rather than a separate number..if you get what I mean. Anyway..thank you xD

Well in my opinion in the scheme of Korean things there's quite a few combo students :tongue: there's really very few people taking Korean. And the 3 or 4 are the only ones I actually know of. There's about 40 people in my lecture and I honestly have no idea what course most of them are doing :tongue:
Well in my opinion in the scheme of Korean things there's quite a few combo students :tongue: there's really very few people taking Korean. And the 3 or 4 are the only ones I actually know of. There's about 40 people in my lecture and I honestly have no idea what course most of them are doing :tongue:

Aw Korean is all lonely ;( but perhaps that's a good thing..less competition :tongue:
Reply 11
Hi, just to add more info...

As you know Chinese & Korean is a major/minor course.
This means you have to take more chinese units over 4 years. To be exact, to get your degree you need to pass 8 Chinese units and 5 korean units.

This would be the breakdown:
Year 1 (3 chinese units & the 19th century history and culture korean unit)
Year 2 (Year abroad in Beijing counts as 4 units)

So at this point you've taken 7 chinese, 1 korean therefore year 3 and 4 is basically up to you how you want to structure your course.
You've only got to take 1 more chinese unit. In year 3 it is usually a choice between 301 or 302.
Korean 1 & 2 are compulsory in year 3 so most will add 301/302 and then possibly a floater.

There were approx 60 of us in Beijing last year. But that no. has gone up quite a bit in 3rd year because there's a few people who were retaking the year, floater students and students who are admitted straight into 3rd year chinese because they started at a more advanced level.

And it'd be wrong to think competition isnt high for korean. Each year they're getting increasing number of applications. This year we were told korean was oversubscribed. A few years ago there were about 12 in the whole year. This year, I have about 13 other students in my class alone and there's 3 sets of classes. So probably about 30 in total. Might not sound a lot compared to korean and japanese but the korean department is a lot smaller with less staff.

And i know there are quite alot of korean + japanese combined students. Whereas chinese + korean only amount to about 4 or 5.
Original post by bubbles32
Hi, just to add more info...

As you know Chinese & Korean is a major/minor course.
This means you have to take more chinese units over 4 years. To be exact, to get your degree you need to pass 8 Chinese units and 5 korean units.

This would be the breakdown:
Year 1 (3 chinese units & the 19th century history and culture korean unit)
Year 2 (Year abroad in Beijing counts as 4 units)

So at this point you've taken 7 chinese, 1 korean therefore year 3 and 4 is basically up to you how you want to structure your course.
You've only got to take 1 more chinese unit. In year 3 it is usually a choice between 301 or 302.
Korean 1 & 2 are compulsory in year 3 so most will add 301/302 and then possibly a floater.

There were approx 60 of us in Beijing last year. But that no. has gone up quite a bit in 3rd year because there's a few people who were retaking the year, floater students and students who are admitted straight into 3rd year chinese because they started at a more advanced level.

And it'd be wrong to think competition isnt high for korean. Each year they're getting increasing number of applications. This year we were told korean was oversubscribed. A few years ago there were about 12 in the whole year. This year, I have about 13 other students in my class alone and there's 3 sets of classes. So probably about 30 in total. Might not sound a lot compared to korean and japanese but the korean department is a lot smaller with less staff.

And i know there are quite alot of korean + japanese combined students. Whereas chinese + korean only amount to about 4 or 5.

Hi - thank you so much for your response :smile:

So in the third year I would only be able to take Elementary Korean 1+2, as well as an Intermediate Chinese + another chinese module? (e.g. Cantonese)
Then, I presume in the FOURTH year I would take the THIRD year Korean modules, and the fourth year Chinese modules as usual.
In other words, Chinese/Korean students don't ever study fourth year Korean modules, no? I guess Korean is the minor, after all.
How is the Chinese/Korean unit ratio for the fourth year? Perhaps two Chinese fourth year units and two Korean third year units?

I hope you don't mind all these questions >.<

Oh wow, Korean is really increasing in popularity : o

Do you study Korean or Chinese/Korean? :smile:
Reply 13

Hope I'm not derailing the thread. :ninja:

How are you finding the course so far? I ended up deferring and I haven't even been on an open day (because of the distance). It's quite difficult to find SOAS Korean students online in order to badger them with questions, haha.
Reply 14
Original post by laridum
Hope I'm not derailing the thread. :ninja:

How are you finding the course so far? I ended up deferring and I haven't even been on an open day (because of the distance). It's quite difficult to find SOAS Korean students online in order to badger them with questions, haha.

It's great :smile: really difficult, tonnes of homework but great nonetheless. Imo excellent teaching. What do you want to know particularly :tongue:
Reply 15
It's great :smile: really difficult, tonnes of homework but great nonetheless. Imo excellent teaching. What do you want to know particularly :tongue:

Yeah, just like, the workload, how the teaching is, what sort of things are covered in the history/culture modules, and if you know anything about your year abroad yet. Stuff like that. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by laridum
Yeah, just like, the workload, how the teaching is, what sort of things are covered in the history/culture modules, and if you know anything about your year abroad yet. Stuff like that. :smile:

workload is heavy but it's a language degree so you should be expecting that :tongue: the teaching is really good, I love the whole course - it's great.

The culture module runs from just before the japanese occupation/colonial period up until the present day, we even get a lecture on the hallyu wave or something (seriously.)
I also thoroughly LOVE the history module (it's optional but quite a few people doing straight korean honours took it) it's soo interesting and is basically about the formation of Korea from three kingdoms up until the 19th century. It's sooo interesting. I honestly love it.

Don't know anything about the year abroad yet haha but I'm having so much fun (discounting the hideous amount of work) to even care :tongue:
Reply 17
workload is heavy but it's a language degree so you should be expecting that :tongue: the teaching is really good, I love the whole course - it's great.

The culture module runs from just before the japanese occupation/colonial period up until the present day, we even get a lecture on the hallyu wave or something (seriously.)
I also thoroughly LOVE the history module (it's optional but quite a few people doing straight korean honours took it) it's soo interesting and is basically about the formation of Korea from three kingdoms up until the 19th century. It's sooo interesting. I honestly love it.

Don't know anything about the year abroad yet haha but I'm having so much fun (discounting the hideous amount of work) to even care :tongue:

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be quite heavy.

Sounds really interesting. The Three Kingdoms period is utterly fascinating to me for some reason so I'll definitely be taking that module.

Did you know any Korean before you started?
Reply 18
Original post by laridum
Yeah, I'm expecting it to be quite heavy.

Sounds really interesting. The Three Kingdoms period is utterly fascinating to me for some reason so I'll definitely be taking that module.

Did you know any Korean before you started?

Honestly I love all the history modules so much. Indescribably haha.

I originally knew quite a bit before starting but I didn't study it for about half a year due to my a levels. Even though I knew a bit we've already surpassed my existing knowledge.

But I honestly love it, it's hard work but it's so great :smile:
Reply 19
Honestly I love all the history modules so much. Indescribably haha.

I originally knew quite a bit before starting but I didn't study it for about half a year due to my a levels. Even though I knew a bit we've already surpassed my existing knowledge.

But I honestly love it, it's hard work but it's so great :smile:

I've already gone though some of the books listed on SOAS' website on the history module's page, haha. Couldn't resist.

Yeah, I just don't want to know nothing when I start. I think I'll just try to get a grasp of the basics, at least. I couldn't spend any time on Korean while I was doing my Highers but now I have pretty much a whole year, so.

Quick Reply

Latest