The Student Room Group

Reason why Rugby and Cricket are boring compared to football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by scoutzawwar
By competitive I mean that each team even though they may be underdogs in a match have the chance to win the match.
You rarely see underdogs winning in cricket.

You see underdogs winning in cricket all the time.

What you mean is, unlike in football, you don't often see the team that has played the worse fluking a win. 90 minutes of negative play and one outrageous deflection or dodgy decision can win you a football match. That's not going to get you far in rugby or cricket.
Original post by py0alb
You see underdogs winning in cricket all the time.

What you mean is, unlike in football, you don't often see the team that has played the worse fluking a win. 90 minutes of negative play and one outrageous deflection or dodgy decision can win you a football match. That's not going to get you far in rugby or cricket.

Underdogs do win in cricket, but its not as common as its in football.
And there is no harm in 90 minutes of negative play. Teams that do not deserve to win, may win but the fact remains that they may have been playing good for the duration of the whole match even if they defended in numbers.
Dodgy decision are less common in cricket because the game is stretched longer.
By competitive I mean that each team even though they may be underdogs in a match have the chance to win the match.
You rarely see underdogs winning in cricket.

Since you don't know about cricket, you won't know about the matches that Afghanistan have won. They are turning into a very good cricketing side in spite of the fact that their "star players" stand every chance of being killed in action, they have virtually no training facilities and they don't have pitches so much as flat bits of dirt. If they're not underdogs, no one is.

Underdogs do win in cricket, but its not as common as its in football.
And there is no harm in 90 minutes of negative play. Teams that do not deserve to win, may win but the fact remains that they may have been playing good for the duration of the whole match even if they defended in numbers.
Dodgy decision are less common in cricket because the game is stretched longer.

If a team has been "playing good for the duration" then surely they would deserve to win? If they don't deserve to win, it's because they haven't been "playing good" (or at least not as well as the opposition). Since all sport should be entertaining, football fails because 90 minutes of negative play is like a bus company refusing to run any buses so that they won't lose any in an accident. It's stupid and pointless. Footballers are there to play their game, not to stop everybody from playing.

And surely, if a game lasts longer, there are more opportunities, not less, for dodgy decisions, especially if that game is cricket where there are so many more factors and rules to take into account than in football.
If you don't like a type of sport, then don't watch it.
22 millionaires kicking a ball around................. hmmmmm where do i benefit ?
I prefer football:smile: It's all down to preferences.
Reply 26
Sorry but IPL cricket beats the **** out of football in terms of excitement.
Original post by NW86

LOL what excitement is there in cricket when there's at-least 20 minutes between each bowl?
Reply 28
Original post by bendtner.is.sick
LOL what excitement is there in cricket when there's at-least 20 minutes between each bowl?

You do realise the difference between IPL and test match cricket right?

I don't think I've ever seen a 3 minute break between bowling, let alone a 20 minute break between overs in IPL.
Original post by NW86

:rofl: :rofl2:

I'd rather...
Original post by kingsholmmad
Since you don't know about cricket, you won't know about the matches that Afghanistan have won. They are turning into a very good cricketing side in spite of the fact that their "star players" stand every chance of being killed in action, they have virtually no training facilities and they don't have pitches so much as flat bits of dirt. If they're not underdogs, no one is.

If a team has been "playing good for the duration" then surely they would deserve to win? If they don't deserve to win, it's because they haven't been "playing good" (or at least not as well as the opposition). Since all sport should be entertaining, football fails because 90 minutes of negative play is like a bus company refusing to run any buses so that they won't lose any in an accident. It's stupid and pointless. Footballers are there to play their game, not to stop everybody from playing.

And surely, if a game lasts longer, there are more opportunities, not less, for dodgy decisions, especially if that game is cricket where there are so many more factors and rules to take into account than in football.

Afghanistan happens to have a strong bowling lineup. Yes they are at a disadvantage at home but that does not make them underdogs. Their team is still competitive.
What I am conveying about cricket is that you will rarely see a #10 Ranked team beat #1 Ranked team. This is not the case in other games because of the difference in gameplay.

90 minutes of negative play may not be entertaining, but its a tactic that can work out. End of the day the team with the 3 points goes home happy and there is no harm in employing tactics like that.
And not all games are 90 minutes of playing 10 man behind the ball. There are are hotly contested games in football, and in cricket. The only thing is that its rare to see that in cricket if the teams are not close in strength.

Lastly decisions do affect the result of a football game. But there is no " referring the decision to the 3rd Umpire." Its all about playing a game in the time limit which incase of cricket, the time period is so long, decisions can be referred.
Agreed, but would you rather watch a 4 day test match?
To say that you obviously have little knowledge of either sport. I know f all about cricket, but i'd look at rugby a little closer before you say that only a handful of nations compete.
Afghanistan happens to have a strong bowling lineup. Yes they are at a disadvantage at home but that does not make them underdogs.
Then who(and in what sport) would you class as underdogs?
Their team is still competitive.
What I am conveying about cricket is that you will rarely see a #10 Ranked team beat #1 Ranked team. This is not the case in other games because of the difference in gameplay.

It's not that long ago that Bangladesh beat England; how often do you see either of the Mancunian sides losing to your idea of an underdog side?

90 minutes of negative play may not be entertaining, but its a tactic that can work out. End of the day the team with the 3 points goes home happy
unlike the fans.
and there is no harm in employing tactics like that.
And not all games are 90 minutes of playing 10 man behind the ball. There are are hotly contested games in football, and in cricket. The only thing is that its rare to see that in cricket if the teams are not close in strength.

You don't actually watch any cricket, do you? England are number one Test side in the world and we are still perfectly capable of making games against the West Indies or Bangladesh close and exciting.

Lastly decisions do affect the result of a football game. But there is no " referring the decision to the 3rd Umpire."

Do NOT get me started on video technology in football: it desperately needs to happen but, until Sepp Blatter can see a way of making money out of it, it's not going to.
Its all about playing a game in the time limit which incase of cricket, the time period is so long, decisions can be referred.
Reply 34
Be our guest.

It would be kinda like evolution speeded up if everyone had to make this choice.
Original post by I Persia I
Test cricket is the epitome of entertainment. :coma:

not sure if serious...
Reply 36
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
not sure if serious...

its without doubt the epitome of the world's sporting competitions. there is no more rigorous test of skill and mental strength.
Original post by py0alb
its without doubt the epitome of the world's sporting competitions. there is no more rigorous test of skill and mental strength.

LOL
Original post by py0alb

Be fair, you're talking to a bunch of football supporters. Mental strength is not an easy concept for them.
Original post by py0alb

How about mixed martial arts eh? This debate could go on forever.

Anyway, this thread was about boredom. Having played cricket for a number of years, watched numerous test matches on TV and attended international test matches, I can safely say that test match cricket is probably the most boring sport in existence.

Nowadays the only cricket I can tolerate is 20/20.

Quick Reply

Latest