*UPDATED* New functionality - Member labelling of threads for study level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EierVonSatan

Original post by EierVonSatan
Awesomeness :king1:

Indeed! :yes:
Reply 41
By the way, my current suggestion for a new label name is "No specific study level/Not applicable", to minimise any ambiguity. I'm currently discussing this with the other mods, but any suggestions from here would be gratefully received.
:yy:
Original post by Illusionary

:yep: :awesome: :smile:
any suggestions from here would be gratefully received.

I submit my previous suggestion, "Not Applicable" for consideration, though I think yours is fine too.

But what ever is decided on, I think it should translate as to not adding anything to the displayed title.
Reply 45
Original post by ghostwalker

Original post by ghostwalker
But what ever is decided on, I think it should translate as to not adding anything to the displayed title.

Yep, I think I'd agree with you on that, for now at least. :yy:
Reply 46
Update
Okay, I'm pretty sure that this *will* be happening now - labels will become mandatory during this trial, with the addition of a new label likely to be called "No specific label/not applicable". The label will not actually alter the appearance of threads that use it, but should ensure that labels are always at least considered by those posting here.
Update
Okay, I'm pretty sure that this *will* be happening now - labels will become mandatory during this trial, with the addition of a new label likely to be called "No specific label/not applicable". The label will not actually alter the appearance of threads that use it, but should ensure that labels are always at least considered by those posting here.

Great! :woo:
Reply 48
This is really good. Will it become available to other subject areas on TSR as well? :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by ElMoro

Original post by ElMoro
This is really good. Will it become available to other subject areas on TSR as well? :biggrin:

We're running it in Maths as a trial for a few weeks. If all goes well, I'd definitely hope so, yes :biggrin:
Reply 50
These labels are now compulsory in Maths :smile:

I have a suggestion.

What if a button for the "Answered" label was placed on the first post of the thread? A button only visible to the original poster (and maybe the admins too).

A good place will be at the lower left corner of the original post parallel to the Edit, Quote, etc.. (or right next to them) buttons with the same size, perhaps format too (a rectangular box with curved edges with the icon next to it).

A good icon would be the one like on the Edit button , but instead of a "pencil on a paper", a we put a "green check mark on a paper"; and the green check mark would be on the same place where the pencil is and approximately the same size to it too.

After being pressed, there would be a confirmation pop-up (e.g., Are you sure this question had been answered? Then two buttons, "Yes" and "Cancel") would appear in the middle of the screen, so people won't accidentally press it.
Perhaps to keep uniformity, a similar looking pop up like the ones you get when you have a new message in the inbox.

It takes too much time to change the label into "answered," and putting this would increase the ease of use of the forum.

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Alpha-Omega

Original post by Alpha-Omega
I have a suggestion.

What if a button for the "Answered" label was placed on the first post of the thread? A button only visible to the original poster (and maybe the admins too).

A good place will be at the lower left corner of the original post parallel to the Edit, Quote, etc.. (or right next to them) buttons with the same size, perhaps format too (a rectangular box with curved edges with the icon next to it).

A good icon would be the one like on the Edit button , but instead of a "pencil on a paper", a we put a "green check mark on a paper"; and the green check mark would be on the same place where the pencil is and approximately the same size to it too.

After being pressed, there would be a confirmation pop-up (e.g., Are you sure this question had been answered? Then two buttons, "Yes" and "Cancel&quot:wink: would appear in the middle of the screen, so people won't accidentally press it.
Perhaps to keep uniformity, a similar looking pop up like the ones you get when you have a new message in the inbox.

It takes too much time to change the label into "answered," and putting this would increase the ease of use of the forum.

Thanks!

A good suggestion - thanks! This would, however, require development work so it wouldn't be able to happen immediately, but we can certainly bear it in mind. :smile:
A good suggestion - thanks! This would, however, require development work so it wouldn't be able to happen immediately, but we can certainly bear it in mind. :smile:

I understand.

I forgot to mention its color should be the same as the Edit buttons (the colour that the user has chosen in the Customisation Control Panel). Although, you probably already knew it.

Anyways, thanks for keeping the forum going. It has helped me a lot!
Reply 54
Illusionary
x

Can these tags be rolled out throughout the whole study help forum? I think the Biology and Chemistry forums will be particularily interested in these tags. :biggrin:

I was also thinking that a similar tag system can be rolled out through many of TSR's forums such as in the case of Money and Finance:

Tags could include: Tax, Employment,Investment,Benefits,Banking, Borrowing, General , Answered etc........

Maybe in the case of uni subject forums like Medicine , Law , Sciences etc.....

such as: Pupillage, Training Contract, LPC, BPTC etc...
Reply 55
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

Can these tags be rolled out throughout the whole study help forum? I think the Biology and Chemistry forums will be particularily interested in these tags. :biggrin:

I was also thinking that a similar tag system can be rolled out through many of TSR's forums such as in the case of Money and Finance:

Tags could include: Tax, Employment,Investment,Benefits,Banking, Borrowing, General , Answered etc........

Maybe in the case of uni subject forums like Medicine , Law , Sciences etc.....

such as: Pupillage, Training Contract, LPC, BPTC etc...

This is a trial here in Maths before a wider roll-out across Study Help is considered. We're likely to be running a survey shortly as part of the evaluation of this trial. We're not really considering this outside of SH right now; SH is a particular area where mandatory labels can significantly improve how well targeted a thread is, but in other areas the thread title is usually clear enough.
Reply 56
This is a trial here in Maths before a wider roll-out across Study Help is considered. We're likely to be running a survey shortly as part of the evaluation of this trial. We're not really considering this outside of SH right now; SH is a particular area where mandatory labels can significantly improve how well targeted a thread is, but in other areas the thread title is usually clear enough.

I see. :holmes:

I will be first person to fill that survey out then.

Well I love the idea! I really hope WANT these tags in the Biology, Chemistry and Economics forums Study Help forums!!! :awesome: (and SH forums too I suppose :rolleyes: ) It is one of the most directly usefull and quite frankly interesting development I have ever seen on TSR.

Can I ask (out of interest) if rolled out throughout some of TSR's other forums one day......... can/do/will/are these tags (supposed or intended to) serve the purpose of eliminating the need for subforums (or further subforums) at least because again I do know that you say plans are to keep it in Study help but in certain uni forums it would be really useful For example: the York Unis forum. Tags can be used for: University of York, York St John etc........ and other similar forums. But I know you said it will be for SH only at this moment. *Hopefully Illu bears it in mind :ninja: I think I have the tagging bug :tongue: :shiftyrun:*
Reply 57

I see. :holmes:

I will be first person to fill that survey out then.

Well I love the idea! I really hope WANT these tags in the Biology, Chemistry and Economics forums Study Help forums!!! :awesome: (and SH forums too I suppose :rolleyes: ) It is one of the most directly usefull and quite frankly interesting development I have ever seen on TSR.

Can I ask (out of interest) if rolled out throughout some of TSR's other forums one day......... can/do/will/are these tags (supposed or intended to) serve the purpose of eliminating the need for subforums (or further subforums) at least because again I do know that you say plans are to keep it in Study help but in certain uni forums it would be really useful For example: the York Unis forum. Tags can be used for: University of York, York St John etc........ and other similar forums. But I know you said it will be for SH only at this moment. *Hopefully Illu bears it in mind :ninja: I think I have the tagging bug :tongue: :shiftyrun:*

We don't want to make the site one big forum :no: Where a sub-forum is appropriate, this should be used rather than thread labels.
Reply 58
Illusionary
We don't want TSR to be a big forum. We make subforums where appropriate

Okay. I was wondering if this was the plan of the Moderation Team, not that I would do it! :smile:
Reply 59
Those of you who've been following this thread may like to help us out with potentially extending these thread labels across Study Help, and also by suggesting any other changes that you think would be beneficial, by completing the survey that's currently being promoted across the Study Help forums. Here's a direct link to the survey, and thanks for any input you may have: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WKYGQKY :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest