The Student Room Group

2012 Consulting Interviews / Rejections / Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobinSheridan99
Its a strange one with Credo. I spoke to a guy who had been passed through today, and some have had rejections, but I haven't heard either way. Hoping for something tomorrow. They are a really good firm, very keen to work there.

Not strange. They're a small firm, and staffing someone to look at CVs means they can't do revenue-generating client work. Takes them a while to get through the pile. Good firm, by the way, I rate them quite highly.
Reply 41
Original post by linee
Hey guys, anyone heard from OW after an interview today?
Had an interview today but haven't heard from them since though they said they would call same day...

Yeah, please do let us know. I have had exactly the same experience.
Original post by crafty bison
Not strange. They're a small firm, and staffing someone to look at CVs means they can't do revenue-generating client work. Takes them a while to get through the pile. Good firm, by the way, I rate them quite highly.

Yeah you're right I suppose. I just figured the most efficient way of going about it was bulk rejections/interviews as opposed to drip feeding. They are very small like you say.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys, how long does it take Mckinsey to get back to you after submitting the app?
Reply 44
Don't suppose anyone's heard back from OC&C yet? Credo still outstanding too, guess they will be much less able to deal with volumes of applications than the other firms.
Reply 45
Original post by vishy2in
Yeah, please do let us know. I have had exactly the same experience.

Have you heard back yet?
Reply 46
Original post by gurkin123
Don't suppose anyone's heard back from OC&C yet? Credo still outstanding too, guess they will be much less able to deal with volumes of applications than the other firms.

But I guess they receive few application as well, compared with other consultancy.
Reply 47
Had the McKinsey test. Only consultancy I applied to! Who else are accepting applications? I know BCG opens in January. What about Bain and Co?
Original post by AyonFazal
Had the McKinsey test. Only consultancy I applied to! Who else are accepting applications? I know BCG opens in January. What about Bain and Co?

Well there's Oliver Wyman and Booz too. I think Bain are already accepting applications and I think BCG too. How long did did Mckinsey take to get back to you after submitting the application?
Reply 49
Management Consultancy:
KPMG: Offer!

IT Consultancy:
Accenture: Rejection (1st interview)
IBM: Rejection (1st Assessment Centre)
Deloitte: Rejection (1st interview)

So, admittedly I didn't apply to an awful load, mainly because I wanted to focus on IT consultancy (and in particular, trying to avoid finance areas). And also kind of ironic that the only offer I've gotten is for Management Consultancy (since I pretty much applied for that accidentally!). Pretty chuffed though (heard yesterday) and visiting the KPMG offices swung me quite a bit, they seem like a great company to work for.

With the rejections, I think I was quite a bit sloppy with the competency interviews, and it took me a while to optimise the process. I guess there is indeed wisdom in 'not applying to the job you actually want' first.
Reply 50
Original post by SunderX
Management Consultancy:
KPMG: Offer!

What consulting division of KPMG?
Reply 51

Original post by Smtn
What consulting division of KPMG?

As far as I can tell, they don't do applications for individual divisions anymore. You apply for either Management Consultancy, Risk Consultancy or Transaction & Restructuring, and get rotations between the subdivisions before you focus on anything.
Reply 52
Original post by SunderX
As far as I can tell, they don't do applications for individual divisions anymore. You apply for either Management Consultancy, Risk Consultancy or Transaction & Restructuring, and get rotations between the subdivisions before you focus on anything.

Ah ok, was curious why he listed KPMG as mc, the rest tech
Reply 53
Original post by linee
Have you heard back yet?

Got a call at 7. How about you?

Have been invited for the final rounds. 6 1-to-1 half hour interviews. I mean 6!!
Pretty intense!:redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54

Original post by Smtn
Ah ok, was curious why he listed KPMG as mc, the rest tech

I originally applied for Performance and Technology, they told me I had an interview for management consultancy :tongue:.
Reply 55
Has anybody heard anything back from ZS?
Reply 56
Original post by gurkin123

Got a reply from OC&C on Friday asking me to do online tests. Standard SHL stuff. Their interviews are then in January.

Had rejections without interview from McKinsey, BCG, Booz and Credo without so much as an online test. It's properly tough this year, and I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. Lack of internship could be a major factor, but I've got a 2i from Cambridge and did some fairly big stuff while I was there (wouldn't like to out myself and say what!) but it'd be nice just to get a bloody interview.

I'd question my CV more if BCG hadn't told me it was good at their CV clinic, but clearly that reassurance didn't count for much...
A guy at Credo said that the consultancies he had spoken to were expecting a larger than average number of applications. He said this was probably because of the general distaste with investment banks, so a lot of the top people move to consultancies instead. Seems to make sense, and if all us budding consultants are competing against those guys, then it will be tough. Just hoping something comes off, and if not, I'll apply to easier stuff for Spring intake.
Reply 58
Original post by sammyrj
Got a reply from OC&C on Friday asking me to do online tests. Standard SHL stuff. Their interviews are then in January.

Had rejections without interview from McKinsey, BCG, Booz and Credo without so much as an online test. It's properly tough this year, and I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. Lack of internship could be a major factor, but I've got a 2i from Cambridge and did some fairly big stuff while I was there (wouldn't like to out myself and say what!) but it'd be nice just to get a bloody interview.

I'd question my CV more if BCG hadn't told me it was good at their CV clinic, but clearly that reassurance didn't count for much...

Congrats on being offered the online test, that's a start! Still haven't heard back yet so assuming it's probably a rejection.

Basically, I think everyone who would before have applied exclusively to IB's this year will have speculatively applied to the top consulting houses too...thereby swelling the number of applicants massively meaning that, unlike before, when a 2.1 from Oxbridge and good ECs' would have pretty much guaranteed getting offered tests/ first rounds, now they can afford to be even pickier. Doesn't bode well :s-smilie:

FWIW I have similar academics (but from LSE) and did an internship and some other decent extra curricular stuff last 2 years and I got rejected by Booz and Credo. Didn't even bother applying Mck Bain and BCG!
Reply 59
Original post by RobinSheridan99
A guy at Credo said that the consultancies he had spoken to were expecting a larger than average number of applications. He said this was probably because of the general distaste with investment banks, so a lot of the top people move to consultancies instead. Seems to make sense, and if all us budding consultants are competing against those guys, then it will be tough. Just hoping something comes off, and if not, I'll apply to easier stuff for Spring intake.

Think that's pretty much bang on I reckon! Got the same impression from the guys at the Booz company presentation thing at LSE

Quick Reply

Latest