The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SupAJ1M
Thanks for the info, AndSparkles. What exactly am i suposed to wear to this magic event then? I can understand on a one to one interview you'd dress up nice but for a group thing, it all sounds very light and informal but then it doesnt lol....how did other guys dress at these events? :confused:

I wore, and many other people did, smart. Not like a suit (that would be ott), but I wore black shoes, black trousers and a shirt and skinny tie. I had a jumper over tge top too.
Reply 1321
Asda have emailed me today about this magic event bollox. They have given me less than 24 hours notice as the event is at 11am tomorrow

How many people get jobs at these events? I already have an offer to work at royal mail
ive got an induction dat 2 moz wat do i wear
Original post by extom

Original post by extom
Asda have emailed me today about this magic event bollox. They have given me less than 24 hours notice as the event is at 11am tomorrow

How many people get jobs at these events? I already have an offer to work at royal mail

Depends. Is it a new store? Usually, I think there'll probably be just one vacancy, but I'm not too sure. Is it a temp position?
Reply 1324
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Depends. Is it a new store? Usually, I think there'll probably be just one vacancy, but I'm not too sure. Is it a temp position?

it's not a new store and i can't remember if it was a temp position or not, so long ago
Original post by extom

Original post by extom
it's not a new store and i can't remember if it was a temp position or not, so long ago

I would just go, because there may be more than one vacancy. Which store is it, btw?
Reply 1327
I would just go, because there may be more than one vacancy. Which store is it, btw?

Hatfield

I'm a bit annoyed that they have given me less than 24hrs notice. I'm going to have to cancel things to go to this now
Ah so nervous. Got my first day tomorrow. Already had my best welcome but they're getting me to shadow a runner tomorrow. I have no idea what to do or where to go :/. Don't have my name badge yet, my card isn't activated, and i don't have a clue what to do. Thanks for the advice too :P Hopefully getting some comfy shoes on sunday so i'll have to make do tomorrow :/. Ah dear! Good luck extom :smile:.

If you've got through to the magic event then unless you majorly mess up tomorrow you should have a job!
wat 2 wear to induction day??
Original post by destined1
wat 2 wear to induction day??

Something smart, but comfortable. Avoid things like jeans and hoodies. Wear smart black trousers with smart shoes and like a cardigan or a jumper over a top or shirt :smile:
Reply 1331
What does the Christmas uniform look like? and what do you wear to the best welcome?
I was just about to take the online assessment and the system is know down for maintenance.
Original post by BryBee
I am :smile: had my group interview on the 4th, individual interview on the 7th, induction on the 12th and first shift on the 14th so only 10 days between group interview and being on the shop floor working for Asda :smile:

I had my group interview yesterday, and then we all had an individual interview. May I ask, when did they contact you to let you know whether you'd got the job or not?
Reply 1334
what re the opening and closing time for asda on Christmas eve and new years day?
Woohoo I got a 16 hour contract working night shift!
any ideas what the rate of pay is? thanks!
I'm having a bit of a dilemma, I've been invited down to Cheltenham for Christmas with the entire family, we said that we can go down on Christmas Eve afternoon if I have to work then. Do you think there is any way they would allow me to have Boxing Day off?
Reply 1337
Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

How much do you get? :smile:
Reply 1338
i applied yesterday, do you think i still have a chance for a job? they seem to have already interviewed and hired a lot of people :frown:
Original post by truthandtragedy
I've got my checkout training on Sunday. I'm just a christmas temp. :yes:

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Shippy
Had my first shift yesterday and it went really well! Had someone watching over me for about 4 hours, and then went on my own till for the last 2 hours of my shift and only need help once or twice, it's amazing how quickly you just absorb everything. I realy enjoyed it though, i like chatting to the customers and everything :smile: The only problem is that I couldn't get used to sitting down at all, i couldn't move things very well (i only have short arms) so ended up standing for all of my shift, which was good because i was working very efficiently, only had a big queue once, but my feet and back were killing when i'd finished!

You really do pick everything up really quickly! For the sitting thing, make sure the chair is high/low enough that your legs are touching the underneath of the checkout. It shouldn't matter you have short arms, but you shouldn't need to stretch either.

Original post by SupAJ1M
Thanks for the info, AndSparkles. What exactly am i suposed to wear to this magic event then? I can understand on a one to one interview you'd dress up nice but for a group thing, it all sounds very light and informal but then it doesnt lol....how did other guys dress at these events? :confused:

Smart casual is best bet. No jeans or trainers tho.

Original post by problemsolver
What is the best thing about working in ASDA?

The people. And tbh, your customers.. they really make the difference. And it helps if you're like me and you like scanning things :smile: And talking... :wink:

Original post by extom

With that attitude, don't bother. And for reference, you're actually able to CHOOSE the event you attend, and book yourself on to whichever event. But even if you couldn't - it's you that wants the job, not them. You should be doing the running.

Original post by destined1

Clothes? :biggrin:
In all seriousness, the same type of clothes you wore at interview and Asda Magic.

All positions are now temporary for 12 weeks irregardless. Like probation basically. And there was about 4 at my store at first - but then they needed more, so it does change!

Original post by extom

It'll be temp.

Original post by extom
Hatfield

I'm a bit annoyed that they have given me less than 24hrs notice. I'm going to have to cancel things to go to this now

It's the way it is. If you're that bothered, you shouldn't go.

Original post by emily27x
Ah so nervous. Got my first day tomorrow. Already had my best welcome but they're getting me to shadow a runner tomorrow. I have no idea what to do or where to go :/. Don't have my name badge yet, my card isn't activated, and i don't have a clue what to do. Thanks for the advice too :P Hopefully getting some comfy shoes on sunday so i'll have to make do tomorrow :/. Ah dear! Good luck extom :smile:.

If you've got through to the magic event then unless you majorly mess up tomorrow you should have a job!

Good luck! They'll show you everything, but be warned that you're gonna be knackered afterwards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending