The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Started unit 5 now - more interesting than ecology thank heavens!

Ordered a CGP book through college (can't go wrong since it was only £4 right?) and working through past papers :smile:
Woah you guys are already doing Unit 5 too?! We are way behind! I've got BIOL2 to revise for January, BIOL4 & BIOL5 for June. I think I'm going to start Unit 5 also this week and do a few topics by myself.
Reply 22
Original post by flowerscat

Does anyone have the June 2011 Biol4 paper?

Thanks!

I need that paper too! I've done most of my revision, doing exam questions recently and have done all the papers but I can't find June 2011! I find exam papers are really helpful as some of the application questions (I find really hard) come up again in other papers but just using different content.

If I find it I'll post it, but it's unlikely as it's the most recent one :frown:
Original post by ellllla123
I need that paper too! I've done most of my revision, doing exam questions recently and have done all the papers but I can't find June 2011! I find exam papers are really helpful as some of the application questions (I find really hard) come up again in other papers but just using different content.

If I find it I'll post it, but it's unlikely as it's the most recent one :frown:

Thanks - they should release them to schools soon for the mocks in December. Hopefully it will be available then.
Reply 24
Thanks - they should release them to schools soon for the mocks in December. Hopefully it will be available then.

They won't release this paper until after the January exam - probably in March time.
The June 2011 paper is however available through the secure-system which examiner officers have got, so they can use them for mocks.

IT SUCKS! :frown:
Starting unit 5?! We haven't even finished unit 4. Oh dear!
What book/s are you all using? CGP/nelson thornes/hodder/other ??
Which hodder book is that?
Original post by LifeIsGood
Which hodder book is that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-A2-Bill-Indge/dp/0340946199/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321694887&sr=8-1

They don't have much content but they do have a lot of application questions.

How are you getting on this year LifeIsGood? Finished learning unit 4 yourself yet?Don't know if you remember me from last year?
That's kind of what I've been doing. Going to start revising in December I think - what about you?

What are your other subjects? Well done for your 94% last year btw :smile:
Original post by qwerty54321
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-A2-Bill-Indge/dp/0340946199/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321694887&sr=8-1

They don't have much content but they do have a lot of application questions.

How are you getting on this year LifeIsGood? Finished learning unit 4 yourself yet?Don't know if you remember me from last year?

Ah yeah I got that aswell, the best book for Biology IMO.

This year is going well so far, ofcourse I remember you - the 100UMS for BIOL1 girl :biggrin: I was gutted by my result for Biology though (got a C) but still working on things here and there :smile: I'm going over Agriculture & Nutrient Cycles thoroughly so far, I've done Photosynthesis, ATP & Respiraton in depth but need to touch up on it again. Really need to cover Inheritance very thoroughly, will do that next week. I'm not even doing the exam in January but want to develop good Biology skills now than later.
I have never seen the Hodder sheets? Do they ask questions that usually came up? I've got the book & it's the best Biology book available from what I've seen.
Reply 31
I'm resitting it this Jan eek but tbh it's not too awful content wise it's just when it comes to the exam I find it difficult to understand.. Iv had a brief look over the content and I'm starting hardcore revision ASAP as it's two month away :l and I NEED my A <3
Original post by LifeIsGood
Ah yeah I got that aswell, the best book for Biology IMO.

This year is going well so far, ofcourse I remember you - the 100UMS for BIOL1 girl :biggrin: I was gutted by my result for Biology though (got a C) but still working on things here and there :smile: I'm going over Agriculture & Nutrient Cycles thoroughly so far, I've done Photosynthesis, ATP & Respiraton in depth but need to touch up on it again. Really need to cover Inheritance very thoroughly, will do that next week. I'm not even doing the exam in January but want to develop good Biology skills now than later.

Yep :colondollar:. Oo good luck :biggrin: - I find this unit is so much more difficult than the other two :\.
That sounds like a good idea - you're so organised! Although this year I've just (on thursday) finished making notes on the Nelson thornes book as my school is too slow, although I'm not really that clued up on Inheritance.
How come you're not taking it in Jan? Both unit 4 and 5 in june?
Wow, you sound busy!
Is there any chance you could scan some of the hodder worksheets in, or send a link to them - I've never seen them (and sounds like LifeIsGood hasn't either) ? I know it's a bit cheeky but if you do get a bit of time it would be much appreciated :biggrin:.
When is your ISA?
Reply 34
We got given that hodder book from school. Theres less content but OK for application - where are the answers ???!
Yes please - I'm desperate for any resources, thanks so so much :biggrin: :biggrin:.
Although I can imagine your workload must be through the roof if he gives you that much!

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly as you did so well last year, so don't worry!! Just try and relax. You're doing it quite early - we didn't do our AS one until around April time last year :O.

Out of interest do you go to a state or private school/college?
Original post by EffKayy
We got given that hodder book from school. Theres less content but OK for application - where are the answers ???!

I've found this a problem - there are no answers, unless only teachers have access to them?
Wow how did you manage that?! Entrance exams?
Reply 38
Do you know where You can get answers for the hodder book ?
Original post by qwerty54321
Yep :colondollar:. Oo good luck :biggrin: - I find this unit is so much more difficult than the other two :\.
That sounds like a good idea - you're so organised! Although this year I've just (on thursday) finished making notes on the Nelson thornes book as my school is too slow, although I'm not really that clued up on Inheritance.
How come you're not taking it in Jan? Both unit 4 and 5 in june?

My teacher said we won't be ready by January (I beg to differ) and so he never entered, I begged and he said no. So I'm resitting BIOL2 in January and doing the other 2 in June. I don't like Nelson Thornes for A2 much, it's good for content but that's it. The hodder book is fantastic.

Quick Reply