The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Must... have.... more ... pictures?
Please? :P

We recently had microsoft's windows phone camp at our university, wasn't too bad, no new information though
Original post by Mad Vlad
See... that'd make me cry seeing the IE logo plastered on my home screen. :facepalm:

I already have a website pinned so I don't have to look at it XD not a bad browser so far though.

Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Please tell us what it's like. I'm really liking the look of WP7, and the Nokia is a sexy beast.

Will do, I'll post my thoughts on it tonight after I've had a day with it.
Good stuff :smile:
Reply 183
In fairness, IE 9 has come a long way and it's a far better browser (both from a webdev side and user side) than any of it's predecessors.

*ducks*
Original post by Dez
In fairness, IE 9 has come a long way and it's a far better browser (both from a webdev side and user side) than any of it's predecessors.

*ducks*

Of the 5 minutes or so I've played with it, I'd probably agree. But as I said, it was 5 minutes.
Reply 185
Original post by Dez

*ducks*

I'm inclined to agree as well, I just hope IE 10 follows that.
Reply 186
Just unsubscribing from some Symantec mailing list thing, and was told that it would take 10 business days to complete. :hmmm:

Guess I'd best add them to my spam filter for the next two weeks. But ten days? Anyone want to venture a guess as to why on earth it takes 10 working days to delete a single email address from a database file somewhere? :lolwut:

Original post by Dez
Just unsubscribing from some Symantec mailing list thing, and was told that it would take 10 business days to complete. :hmmm:

Guess I'd best add them to my spam filter for the next two weeks. But ten days? Anyone want to venture a guess as to why on earth it takes 10 working days to delete a single email address from a database file somewhere? :lolwut:

Mmm I hate it when that happens. I assume it might be a logistical thing - perhaps they prepare some of their emails and its recipient list a few days before actually sending the email, and so there might already be an email waiting to be sent to you?
Original post by Dez

At a guess, so they can manage the load on their servers when maintaining their mailshot db. Build up a load of removal requests and blast them during quieter hours instead of having a steady stream of DELETE requests hitting their servers.

If it's not that, then I have no idea.
Reply 189
Original post by mikeyd85
At a guess, so they can manage the load on their servers when maintaining their mailshot db. Build up a load of removal requests and blast them during quieter hours instead of having a steady stream of DELETE requests hitting their servers.

If it's not that, then I have no idea.

Mail servers spend most of their lives doing essentially sod all, until a newsletter send comes along and takes up the entire universe for a few hours, then it's back to quietness again. Even if it's processing a steady stream of automated response emails, it really shouldn't take two whole weeks to find a slot to run unsubscribe requests. I'm pretty sure they're just doing it so they can advertise to me a bit more, whilst still technically complying with my request and (I assume) the law. :colonhash:
Original post by Dez
Mail servers spend most of their lives doing essentially sod all, until a newsletter send comes along and takes up the entire universe for a few hours, then it's back to quietness again. Even if it's processing a steady stream of automated response emails, it really shouldn't take two whole weeks to find a slot to run unsubscribe requests. I'm pretty sure they're just doing it so they can advertise to me a bit more, whilst still technically complying with my request and (I assume) the law. :colonhash:

Would they not have to remove your email details from their db server though? I can't imagine they'd store DB.Cust.Details on their mail server box.
Reply 191
Would they not have to remove your email details from their db server though? I can't imagine they'd store DB.Cust.Details on their mail server box.

Possibly. Knowing Symantec, they probably run their mailing server on Windows and it has to restart in order to update mailing list details. :p:
Original post by Dez
Possibly. Knowing Symantec, they probably run their mailing server on Windows and it has to restart in order to update mailing list details. :p:

I try to rep you far too much for this site to allow it.
Reply 193
I try to rep you far too much for this site to allow it.

If I wanted I could grant myself rep now, but that would be cheating. More to the point, Fleur would kill me. :wink:

Original post by Dez
If I wanted I could grant myself rep now, but that would be cheating. More to the point, Fleur would kill me. :wink:

I know you obviously have adminny powers, but do you have moddy powers too? i.e. Can you move stuff?
Reply 195
Original post by secretmessages
I know you obviously have adminny powers, but do you have moddy powers too? i.e. Can you move stuff?

I have full access to AdminCP and ModCP, so yes, I can do all the moddy stuff. I haven't used those powers though, since it's not my job to moderate the boards and I really don't want to be stepping on the toes of the real moderators. :smile: That said, if a mod needs something adminy/techy doing, I don't mind helping out. If I see something that needs moderating though I'll still file a report, since it's better for someone who's familiar with the rules and moderation techniques to deal with most things I think.

Original post by Dez
I have full access to AdminCP and ModCP, so yes, I can do all the moddy stuff. I haven't used those powers though, since it's not my job to moderate the boards and I really don't want to be stepping on the toes of the real moderators. :smile: That said, if a mod needs something adminy/techy doing, I don't mind helping out. If I see something that needs moderating though I'll still file a report, since it's better for someone who's familiar with the rules and moderation techniques to deal with most things I think.

I thought that would've been the case, was just wondering because I've noticed you continuing to report things :yep:
Any hacker who gains root on your servers has powers far higher than that of the vBulletin Admin user group :colonhash: The shoddily built and overly convoluted (I've used it - was a supermod on another forum ages back) vBulletin AdminCP is nothing when they can just lift your database, your /etc/shadow file, your hidden stash of 'classy erotica', you name it :smile:
Original post by ch0llima
Any hacker who gains root on your servers has powers far higher than that of the vBulletin Admin user group :colonhash: The shoddily built and overly convoluted (I've used it - was a supermod on another forum ages back) vBulletin AdminCP is nothing when they can just lift your database, your /etc/shadow file, your hidden stash of 'classy erotica', you name it :smile:

Kinda goes without saying that though.
Reply 199
Original post by ch0llima

Big sites like TSR have more than one computer serving them. Any sysadmin that leaves the database server accessible to the outside world is a complete and utter muppet. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending