The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

The uni want me to intermit/drop out and come back next year. But i REALLY dont want to do that. I love where im living, friends etc. and i HATE going back home. And tbh back home is where my anxiety all started. The issue is, going to lectures etc is really hard for me. I get panic attacks, and just yeah...
But i do all my assignments and everything, adn i am trying to keep up with work. What can i say/do to make them let me stay :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
The uni want me to intermit/drop out and come back next year. But i REALLY dont want to do that. I love where im living, friends etc. and i HATE going back home. And tbh back home is where my anxiety all started. The issue is, going to lectures etc is really hard for me. I get panic attacks, and just yeah...
But i do all my assignments and everything, adn i am trying to keep up with work. What can i say/do to make them let me stay :frown:

Tell them that although it may appear that you are struggling your actually not and leaving would hinder you because it would be harder coming back. They can only really kick you out if you don't do jack so just appear reasonable and see if there is anything extra you can do to show you can do it.
Original post by puddledancer
Tell them that although it may appear that you are struggling your actually not and leaving would hinder you because it would be harder coming back. They can only really kick you out if you don't do jack so just appear reasonable and see if there is anything extra you can do to show you can do it.

Really? even though my attendance is practically one lecture a week out of 20? I've seen counselling/support services, and im getting help, im on medication but it's not all going to magically work overnight. But then, if i drop out, i cant continue to go to these "situations" and try and stay in lectures etc.
Really? even though my attendance is practically one lecture a week out of 20? I've seen counselling/support services, and im getting help, im on medication but it's not all going to magically work overnight. But then, if i drop out, i cant continue to go to these "situations" and try and stay in lectures etc.

They can't kick you out unless your mentally unstable. The university are only trying to help you keep that in mind, just reassure them that this is want you want and leaving will just make you worst.
Original post by FinalMH
They can't kick you out unless your mentally unstable. The university are only trying to help you keep that in mind, just reassure them that this is want you want and leaving will just make you worst.

Original post by FinalMH

Okay, thanks so much for the reassurance guys. I don't consider myself mentally unstable, I just find these situations VERY difficult. But i am determined to get through this. i reallllly want to stay, i've been waiting so long to come here :/
Why would they do this though unless they had the power to suspend me..
Ugh
Okay, thanks so much for the reassurance guys. I don't consider myself mentally unstable, I just find these situations VERY difficult. But i am determined to get through this. i reallllly want to stay, i've been waiting so long to come here :/
Why would they do this though unless they had the power to suspend me..
Ugh

Why don't you go see you're student union as well? They'll know policies for stuff like this
Why don't you go see you're student union as well? They'll know policies for stuff like this

Okay, thank you :smile:
Super proud of myself for making it to uni today after the shambles of yesterday (see bottom of previous page), still feeling a bit sick and nervous but I think I'm coping, not sure if I'll actually go into my seminar or not though it seems like I'm happy enough I've driven.
Okay, thank you :smile:

No problem I can be very logical with other peoples problems :smile:
Does it sound like I might have (a mild) form of anxiety/ocd...

-Whenever someone asks me something or i need to respond I panic and answer and stress afterwards about what I said- even years later I can still remember and still feel so angry at myself for it and try to imagine in changed.
-i literally can't make eye contact at all
-i think really fast and constantly, i'm constantly planning what I am going to say or thinking about what i will say
whenever something is going to happen I always have to plan out everythinggg. i need to know exactly where i'm going, where i am, what will happen and i always plan out how to react to any what ifs. i get sghort temper if everything isn't planned to exact times and places and i hate not knowing what will happpen if
-i cannot make decisions to save my life. i'll be on the tube, and can get off at one of two stops- it's no differences they're equally convenient- and i'll debate with myself the whole time which to go. it takes me months to make bigger decisions because i consider what if this..what if that.. endlessly
-i get anxious/stressed/nervous and i pull out my eyebrow hair
-i hate myself for some of the stupid things i've said/done/embarrassing moment eat me up so much
-i don't let guys get too close to me emotionally because i'm scared of how it will make me more anxious
-whenever i know i'll have to read an extract or something in class i wont hear anything that lesson cos i'll be too busy stressing about reading aloud
-when i hear people laughing behind me or looking at me i get reaally paranoid that they're talking about me.
- i just think so much about random things and this stops me concentrating in lessons or ever

just shy or actually something?

I'm in the exact same position as you.
I have all of those symptoms but i'm yet to visit my doctor..
Original post by dungeonkeepr
The firs thing to do try to get out of your own head. Don't tell yourself that you like university, decide that you will. Decide to go out and enjoy yourself. Don't let your worries stop you from having fun. The worst thing you can do is decide not to try something because you don't feel up to it because you're worried about home - you'll end up sitting alone in your room regretting it and worrying. Don't be afraid to talk to your uni counselling service, they often have drop in sessions or things for students finding it difficult at university.

Did you feel like this before you went to university? Is there any reason for you to worry about them, present or past?

I have always had milder symptoms of anxiety before university (e.g. worried unless i make a to do list, preferred staying at home than going on a night out, got up early to avoid waking up and everyone already being out at work etc) but i was really looking forward to uni, and it was only until i actually arrived that it hit me. and since day one the anxiety has been so much worse than ever. I don't think there is any reason for me to worry past or present and thats why i don't understand why i'm like this, i know its irrational to think about family all the time and be scared something will happen but i can't stop the thoughts.

If i left uni and went home, i know it would be a relief, but i'd still need help, and i would have no friends there and nothing to do so that isn't really an option.
Original post by Olivia1234
I have always had milder symptoms of anxiety before university (e.g. worried unless i make a to do list, preferred staying at home than going on a night out, got up early to avoid waking up and everyone already being out at work etc) but i was really looking forward to uni, and it was only until i actually arrived that it hit me. and since day one the anxiety has been so much worse than ever. I don't think there is any reason for me to worry past or present and thats why i don't understand why i'm like this, i know its irrational to think about family all the time and be scared something will happen but i can't stop the thoughts.

If i left uni and went home, i know it would be a relief, but i'd still need help, and i would have no friends there and nothing to do so that isn't really an option.

Firstly, feel free to PM me any time you want to talk or rant, just in case, though I don't really miss my family - counsellor thought it was bloody weird :tongue:

Anyway, you can stop the thoughts. You can't stop them originating, but if you truly want to stay at university, then you can fight back. Don't let them overwhelm you. When you worry, firmly tell yourself not to, get on with the day, distract yourself. Every time you worry, attack it with logic, keep asking yourself why. Why do you worry about your family? Why do you give that answer to the previous question? Why did you give that reason? And so on. If you refuse to accept the way you feel and keep questioning where it all comes from, then you will be able to find something that triggers it, or some node of irrationality that you can work on or around.
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Tried it, was pretty good. Seemed to leave my mind completely blank... :redface:
It's just trying to find the time to do it I guess but yeah, thanks.
Found a 20 minute YouTube video which was pretty good, may stick with that for now and download something a little more advanced when I get used to it.

I don't think I could take a short course though, I would feel way too self-conscious doing all that with other people around. :redface:

I'm glad it was good :smile: I really loved it and I wish I had the space to continue.
As for doing it in a group, once you get there, you pretty much don't see any of the other people because you're so intent on what you're doing yourself. You don't have to, but it's a great way to just feel more comfortable with yourself. :smile:
Reply 2013
Tried some yoga today, wasn't my initial plan of doing something a little more intense like swim or gym to alleviate anxiety, but I think it worked in a different way. Sitting there and being one with myself was a weird experience even having meditated for a while, could take some time to feel completely relaxed but it's definitely something I'd try again. Managed a half-Lotus too, apparently (ouch) :tongue:
Original post by Riku
Tried some yoga today, wasn't my initial plan of doing something a little more intense like swim or gym to alleviate anxiety, but I think it worked in a different way. Sitting there and being one with myself was a weird experience even having meditated for a while, could take some time to feel completely relaxed but it's definitely something I'd try again. Managed a half-Lotus too, apparently (ouch) :tongue:

:five: Sounds good :cute:
Original post by Riku

I think I'd be interested in something like that but I wouldn't want to go on my own and no one really lives near me anymore.
I think I'd be interested in something like that but I wouldn't want to go on my own and no one really lives near me anymore.

If you look slightly earlier in the thread, we were discussing the fact that there's really good videos on youtube that show you how to do basic yoga, though you may want to buy a yoga mat to do it at home. Hard floors are hard.
Original post by dungeonkeepr
If you look slightly earlier in the thread, we were discussing the fact that there's really good videos on youtube that show you how to do basic yoga, though you may want to buy a yoga mat to do it at home. Hard floors are hard.

I'm sure there is a camping mat somewhere, I'd feel guilty doing it at home when there is so much else I've got to do
I'm sure there is a camping mat somewhere, I'd feel guilty doing it at home when there is so much else I've got to do

That's fair, though personally I work a lot better when I take a firm break to sort out my head and clear it of stuff. Taking 20 minutes out to stretch and relax is not bad. Especially as it will be good for your health in many ways - mental and physical.
Why is it that you get so anxious before something you are dreading , so much so that you make yourself ill, but when it comes to it it's not all that bad? Some sort of loose wire in our brains that makes us lose rational thought.

Quick Reply

Latest