The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about your health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

NB obviously there are still many drugs which I do not recommend to anyone, even once. Cocaine is not worth anything and substances such as heroin are not worth the risks. If you actually research LSD, cannabis, MDMA and many others; you may find that a lot of the horror stories you hear are simply government propaganda. I know many of you will disagree however...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Are you worried about you health?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

Yes, drugs deserve a LOT of respect and one must know exactly what he/she is doing before trying a new drug for the first time. But there are only a few drugs which, in my opinion, are not worth trying at least once in your life. Just to feel how your mind alters under these substances is amazing.

Reasons:
-Love being sober, dont find it boring... (dont mind being drunk either though, but your excluding alcohol)
-Dont have the expendable money... Got other things to buy, similarly why I dont drink really expensive wine or whiskey or eat really expensive chocolates... The indulgence isnt worth it in the end.
-Got things that I deem more important to be doing... Reading, studying, rugby, basketball......
-Other things I want to try...

Personally I think all drugs should be legal and its inhibiting peoples human rights to restrict them, especially since the most dangerous drug is legal (alcohol).
Original post by Dalee
Reasons:
-Love being sober, dont find it boring... (dont mind being drunk either though, but your excluding alcohol)
-Dont have the expendable money... Got other things to buy, similarly why I dont drink really expensive wine or whiskey or eat really expensive chocolates... The indulgence isnt worth it in the end.
-Got things that I deem more important to be doing... Reading, studying, rugby, basketball......

These are pretty much the reasons why for alot of people, me including.
Reply 3
I just haven't got round to it, really :dontknow: A pretty boring reason :ahee:

Original post by Dalee
Personally I think all drugs should be legal and its inhibiting peoples human rights to restrict them, especially since the most dangerous drug is legal (alcohol).

I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?
Reply 4
Drugs simply never interested me, it's not a moral thing though. I like a good glass of Whisky and love Sex and Sports - those things fulfill me and I don't feel a need to experiment with drugs or think that I'm missing out. If you're into cocaine that's your business, for me personally it's just not that appealing.
I do not feel the need to 'try' drugs at all. I don't drink, due to another medical condition, and don't smoke either.

My cousin (closest relative after my parents) takes drugs and is a horrible mess. I have no desire to do the same to myself. Aside from this reason, I don't have the money (poor grad student). I don't want to do something illegal. I don't think I need these substances to have a good time.
Just never fancied it tbh.

Simples.
Reply 7
Never even remotely interested me, nor kept company with anyone for whom it was of interest.
Reply 8
I'd be worried about what's actually in it. One pill could actually contain a chemical that can kill you if you get a dodgey dealer (it isn't as easy as you'd think to spot which are the 'good' ones).
Plus my uncle started on weed, got bored so went onto taking pills, then after that and cocain got boring to him he resorted to heroin. Still an addict after 12 years of drug therapy and support. I do not believe that people can control whether they become addicted to these things, so many people say they "only take weed", well I've seen where that can lead to. After seeing what it has done to him and my family I could never find any advantages of drugs that would be worth all of that.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Never even remotely interested me, nor kept company with anyone for whom it was of interest.

This, never cared for it
Reply 10
Original post by Dalee
Reasons:

Pretty much this, and also studying the neuroscience behind some drugs made me think "**** I probably shouldn't do that anyway".

Although it has made me realise that weed is safer than alcohol. Silly government.
Reply 11
Have never really been curious enough to.
cos my life is just fine without them
Original post by kerily

I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?

it surely is, but who the hell are the government or anyone else to tell us we can't use it if we so wish?
Reply 14
Original post by Piddly

Are you worried about you health?

I am just interested to find out why people do not experiment. For me, although I do not take anything very often except cannabis and alcohol, drugs are important to me. The different states of mind you enter when taking weed/ mushrooms/ LSD/ MDMA/ salvia/ cocaine etc are so intriguing. I would find it horrible to be trapped in a sober mind 24/7.

The world is scary enough already. If you want to escape from it, play an MMO game.
Reply 15
Because i have 'addictive' gene.
Reply 16
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
it surely is, but who the hell are the government or anyone else to tell us we can't use it if we so wish?

Ah, but the person I quoted says that alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all, is my point :wink: Which is patently untrue. I agree on legalisation though.
I've personally never wanted to try illegal drugs. In my past I spent a lot of time with people involved/associated with some very nasty drugs such as ketamine and Cocaine.
I have seen the effects these drugs have and it did make me feel sick, and scared. To see someone in such a state, a state I would never want to be in myself. I saw a man foaming at the mouth, attempting to hold himself up, but failing and falling to the ground, as his eyes rolled to the back of his head.
Most people I know who smoke weed are stupidly paranoid, whether it be in their relationship, to do with work or just in general, but it's not healthy which ever way!
I also believe drugs took part in the reason why my friend killed himself, I think 'simple' drugs such as Marijuana actually cause more harm than people believe them to.
Its like saying why haven't you tried sticking a dildo up your ass? Some people find it stimulates them, opens their mind and so on, it doesn't appeal to other people.
I'm content with my current state of mind.

Quick Reply