The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vikki1805
I've personally never wanted to try illegal drugs. In my past I spent a lot of time with people involved/associated with some very nasty drugs such as ketamine and Cocaine.
I have seen the effects these drugs have and it did make me feel sick, and scared. To see someone in such a state, a state I would never want to be in myself. I saw a man foaming at the mouth, attempting to hold himself up, but failing and falling to the ground, as his eyes rolled to the back of his head.
Most people I know who smoke weed are stupidly paranoid, whether it be in their relationship, to do with work or just in general, but it's not healthy which ever way!
I also believe drugs took part in the reason why my friend killed himself, I think 'simple' drugs such as Marijuana actually cause more harm than people believe them to.

Do you drink?
Reply 21
The law is what fundamently stops me trying drugs like weed (I would never do any of the harder stuff because it's just silly)

That's why I think it's good to have laws in place, as otherwise people will use them way too regularly thinking its fine (like alcohol consumption) and at the end of the day they're not healthy.
Reply 22
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
it surely is, but who the hell are the government or anyone else to tell us we can't use it if we so wish?

The government does have a duty to protect the public from harmful things, and yes some of substances are harmful with long-lasting or incurable effects.

But the more interesting question isn't "Why do they tell us what we can and can't do", rather it's "Why do they deem alcohol as being 'safe' enough for us, but something like weed, not?"
Original post by Vikki1805
I've personally never wanted to try illegal drugs. In my past I spent a lot of time with people involved/associated with some very nasty drugs such as ketamine and Cocaine.
I have seen the effects these drugs have and it did make me feel sick, and scared. To see someone in such a state, a state I would never want to be in myself. I saw a man foaming at the mouth, attempting to hold himself up, but failing and falling to the ground, as his eyes rolled to the back of his head.
Most people I know who smoke weed are stupidly paranoid, whether it be in their relationship, to do with work or just in general, but it's not healthy which ever way!
I also believe drugs took part in the reason why my friend killed himself, I think 'simple' drugs such as Marijuana actually cause more harm than people believe them to.

I wont hear a word said against ketamine. That substance has been very useful to me. People can abuse it but used properly it's one of the most incredible conscious experiences it's possible to have.
I used to but haven't for ages because:

-it was nothing special to me when I did it. a lot of them made me ill. didn't find it "enlightening". a few made me feel good for a bit but that was far outweighed by bad after-effects.

-expensive, and can't be bothered to wait for delivery times if buying online (e.g. salvia).

- i get tense hiding what I've bought because I live with parents who wouldn't approve even though it's pretty much just "legal highs" I tried anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Trainspotting. Enough said.
I have not tried any drugs (alcohol and smoking does not count) because it just doesn't appeal to me, I am not afraid I just never really thought of trying...
Never tried drugs because I like my brain working the way it's supposed to. That being said, I'm not going to deny that I drink, but all the same I avoid getting drunk.
Reply 28
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
it surely is, but who the hell are the government or anyone else to tell us we can't use it if we so wish?

Because usually drug addicts don't use entirely privately, all to often they make it someone elses business with sometimes horrible consequences. I wont even begin to talk about the diseases (mostly aids) they spread.

Also I believe that most people are at some point in their lives at a rough spot were they're are vulnerable to drugs - if they are easily accessible or even accepted by society at that point, that person is pretty much screwed (I saw first-hand what drugs do with people and their lives and I'm not talking about potheads who drop out of Uni, I'm talking murderers and rapists) and I really don't want that person to be someone I care about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Its like saying why haven't you tried sticking a dildo up your ass? Some people find it stimulates them, opens their mind and so on, it doesn't appeal to other people.

Not quite right. Some people may find shoving a dildo up their arse stimulating, yes. But the same cannot be applied to drugs, take a hit or two of LSD and it is no longer your opinion whether it is stimulating or not. You will just be blasted to the moon and back.
Original post by Piddly
Obviously this thread only applies to people who do not experiment with drugs (excluding alcohol, nicotine and pharmaceuticals).

Is it the Law? Are you afraid of being caught?

Are you worried about you health?

Are you scared of becoming addicted?

Or do you feel like you are too ignorant about the drug in question to feel like you should experiment with it?

For me its the same reason i dont inject myself with snake venom or chew on nightshade leaves- there is no nutritional benefit in doing so. Why would i therefore spend 50 quid to stuff some powder up my nose?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by aivisindans
I have not tried any drugs (alcohol and smoking does not count) because it just doesn't appeal to me, I am not afraid I just never really thought of trying...

Why not?
Reply 32
Because I'm not a moron.
Drugs mask the problem. They do not solve the root cause of the problem.
Original post by aliluvschoc
The government does have a duty to protect the public from harmful things, and yes some of substances are harmful with long-lasting or incurable effects.

But the more interesting question isn't "Why do they tell us what we can and can't do", rather it's "Why do they deem alcohol as being 'safe' enough for us, but something like weed, not?"

well, among other things:
- they've been trotting out the same bull**** rhetoric for years and I don't think they have the guts to change their tune now.
- it's not gonna help them get elected.
- weed is a nightmare for pharmaceutical companies, being a natural & effective painkiller.
- they don't want people taking drugs that open their eyes to the bull**** values & practices society gets away with. Alcohol is not one of the drugs that makes people smarter. They want a nation of obedient worker drones, and alcohol doesn't threaten that. I didn't really realise how true this is until recently, it does sound like some hippy-dippy bull**** but on reflection I'm convinced of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Been against "smoking" anything ever since I saw the effect some simple cigarettes did to my aunt. As well, never felt a burning need (although there is SOME curiosity) to take most drugs. Also the fact that yeah, they're illegal, and if you get caught you could be busted
Reply 36
Original post by kerily
I just haven't got round to it, really :dontknow: A pretty boring reason :ahee:

I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?

Well, I think they should all be legalised in general because its ridiculous to make them illegal, it just criminalizes what is often benign behavior, and also people can buy guns which are far more dangerous...

As for the alcohol v heroin thing, i think alcohol is more dangerous.... The link below is really interesting and shows how... the graph is most interesting I think :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Its like saying why haven't you tried sticking a dildo up your ass? Some people find it stimulates them, opens their mind and so on, it doesn't appeal to other people.

Tbf maybe that isn't such a silly question either lol
Not had the opportunity :dontknow:
tbh I've never had an opportunity to try any

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending