The Student Room Group

Why have you not tried 'drugs'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Piddly
Not quite right. Some people may find shoving a dildo up their arse stimulating, yes. But the same cannot be applied to drugs, take a hit or two of LSD and it is no longer your opinion whether it is stimulating or not. You will just be blasted to the moon and back.

If its a battery powered one that vibrates then you will get blasted to the moon and back as well.

But I know what you are saying, but then some people like a rush and a feeling of being out of control and others don't. It's like some people want to do adventure sports for the adrenaline rush.

In answer to your original question I think the fact it's illegal has a lot to do with it. Some people would never be interested in looking for a drug high anyway, there will be others that would be curious but are concerned about the safety/quality, the fact you have to buy it illegally and have no quality control about the product puts some people off whereas if the good was sold legally in the chemists it would at least have some quality control to it. Stuff like tobacco and alcohol has health risks as well but people are more likely to take their chances with it because they feel they can make an informed decision when they are buying it from legal sources and know the quality of what they are getting. I'm not saying this would make everyone take it but I think more people would try drugs if they were legal. I also think that a lot of regular users would be willing to pay more (there would be tax etc no doubt) to get products that were quality assured for purity, rather than just go for the cheapest dodgy stuff.
Reply 41
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
well, among other things:
- they've been trotting out the same bull**** rhetoric for years and I don't think they have the guts to change their tune now.
- it's not gonna help them get elected.
- weed is a nightmare for pharmaceutical companies, being a natural & effective painkiller.
- they don't want people taking drugs that open their eyes to the bull**** values & practices society gets away with. Alcohol is not one of the drugs that makes people smarter. They want a nation of obedient worker drones, and alcohol doesn't threaten that. I didn't really realise how true this is until recently, it does sound like some hippy-dippy bull**** but on reflection I'm convinced of it.

Lol, as much as I hate David Cameron, the tories, the lib dems, our capitalist system of government I dont think that individually any member of government has ever serious used that logic to justify drugs laws :P

The whole system is flawed, thats why rights like the choice to take drugs is taken away from us, not because of some darf vader-esk politician sat stroking a cat on his lap cynically thinking of ways to keep the "dark masses" subdued...

Especially if you think about how alcohol causes a fair few problems anyhow...
Original post by Dalee
Lol, as much as I hate David Cameron, the tories, the lib dems, our capitalist system of government I dont think that individually any member of government has ever serious used that logic to justify drugs laws :P

The whole system is flawed, thats why rights like the choice to take drugs is taken away from us, not because of some darf vader-esk politician sat stroking a cat on his lap cynically thinking of ways to keep the "dark masses" subdued...

Especially if you think about how alcohol causes a fair few problems anyhow...

are you kidding? look at what LSD did in the 60's. It had governments terrified enough to spread utterly false propaganda about it, the effects of which are still being felt today. None of the claims made back then have been proven true, but they didn't half succeed in scaring people off it. Acid is a real eye-opener, it's one of the drugs that makes people smarter and it's not welcomed by the people who run things in this world. That applies to psychedelics in general really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
anyone who hasn't tried weed once is either close-minded or just hasn't had the opportunity.
Original post by eve1293
so many people say they "only take weed", well I've seen where that can lead to.

Smoking weed doesn't inexorably lead to injecting heroin. There's a choice in there.
Reply 45
Original post by buggity
anyone who hasn't tried weed once is either close-minded or just hasn't had the opportunity.

...or is educated.
Reply 46
I must admit, I do dislike the high and mighty attitude of "I'm high on life, so I don't need to take drugs". It's not worth nearly killing yourself and seriously damaging your body with cocaine and heroin, but for the nearly harmless drugs such as weed and magic mushrooms (haven't tried the latter), I don't see the problem.

Life is about exploration and you're a long time dead, so why not?
Original post by kerily

I agree that we should legalise some drugs, but blimey, don't you think heroin is more dangerous than alcohol?

In some respects, it is and in others it isn't. A lot of people are actually incredibly misinformed about heroin. For example, a lot of people don't know that pure heroin has little to no negative health effects, until you start getting near overdose quantities, in which case well... you overdose. The negative health effects seen in those who regularly take heroin, such as HIV, skin diseases, liver and kidney damage, are all results of long term exposure to impurities in the heroin, the crap that it gets cut with to increase the street value.

If one were to obtain pure heroin and inject it with clean syringes, providing you took the right dose, there would be pretty much no health risks, other than having an allergic reaction (applies to any drug). There's the risk of addiction, which then leads to other problems, there's no denying it's an incredibly addictive drug and that must be considered, the truth is though, addiction is really the only negative thing when we're talking about pure heroin, even then, if one where to hypothetically become addicted to pure heroin, you would still experience no negative health effects if the addiction was maintained. Theoretically, if you had enough money to fuel a heroin addiction and maintain a pure supply, nothing would happen to you. In reality though, that isn't going to happen.

The dangers of heroin are almost soley derived from its illegality. The reality is, no one is going to get a pure source of heroin illegally, so everytime a user injects, they're not injecting heroin, they're injecting heroin cut with a lot of other crap, all directly into their blood stream, leading to (as I already said), skin diseases, liver and kidney failure, HIV and collapsed veins, to name a few problems. Since it's cut with god knows what, the user also does not know the purity of the heroin and so we introduce the risk of overdose into the equation too. A user may be consistently used to buying heroin of a certain unknown purity, they know how much to take of this heroin and then one day, they're getting their fix and unknowningly buy heroin of a higher purity, they continue to take the same amount that they're used to and subsequently overdose and die.

Let's imagine then, that heroin was legalised and pure sources, of known purity, were provided. You'd eliminate essentially all negative health effects of the drug, you'd eliminate the risk of overdose, as the purity would always be known. You'd eliminate the billions of pounds that goes into the pockets of the criminals and the lives that are lost within that trade, plus eliminate anything else that money goes towards (human trifficking for one).

Is this enough to jusitfy it though? I'm not sure. The problem lies within how addictive is. Realistically, I don't think legalising is going to cause everyone to start taking heroin, everyone knows how addictive it is and even those who know how to get it and already indulge in other drugs, would still most likely draw the line at heroin. I know quite a few people who have experimented with various substances, they don't care about whether they're illegal or not, that isn't the reason why they won't do heroin. They won't do it because they know, if they got addicted, it would ruin their lives. That wouldn't change if it were legalised, they wouldn't suddenly think, oh let's go try heroin! If it were legalised and they became addicted it would still **** their lives up. They might not die because of it, they might not even become that ill, but it would still severely ruin things for them. However, the increased availability may cause some very curious people to try it, they may just want to experiment with it once or twice and unintentionally become addicted. Obviously no one plans to become addicted to heroin, everyone just tried it the first time to experiment, it's just that, at the moment, you would really have to go out and actively pursue getting some in order to try it. So it being readily available, could be quite a dangerous thing.

I'm torn. On one hand, I think legalising would be good, you'd lower death rates, you'd lower negative health affects, you'd lower gang activity, amongst other criminal activity and you'd pump money into the economy via existing users. I also think the amount of people who use it, wouldn't increase substantially, for reasons I've already listed. On the other hand, I have a feeling, that use may increase marginally simply due to the increased availability and lowered risk of death. Does one justify the other? Which case is worse?

I think ideally, some kind of middle ground would be the best situation. Where availability of heroin doesn't massively increase, so that it's still not easy to get, but so that those who do use, aren't destroying themselves with an impure substance provided by gangs.

Edit: I do hope people read my entire post, I can see that if you were to read the first paragraph, you'd just think I was saying "Heroin is fine!", which I am not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
are you kidding? look at what LSD did in the 60's. It had governments terrified enough to spread utterly false propaganda about it, the effects of which are still being felt today. None of the claims made back then have been proven true, but they didn't half succeed in scaring people off it. Acid is a real eye-opener, it's one of the drugs that makes people smarter and it's not welcomed by the people who run things in this world. That applies to psychedelics in general really.

Ok ok, maybe it is true that government policy has and specifically does aim for self preservation... I dont really know much about instances in the past, like in the 60s you mentioned, but I definitely thought there was something odd a while ago when that scientist was fired for suggesting the lowering of the classification of weed... That did happen right? I'm not making that up ? :P
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Its like saying why haven't you tried sticking a dildo up your ass? Some people find it stimulates them, opens their mind and so on, it doesn't appeal to other people.

This!:
Original post by anonstudent1
Tbf maybe that isn't such a silly question either lol

... why wouldn't you want to explore and experiment?

Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
For me its the same reason i dont inject myself with snake venom or chew on nightshade leaves- there is no nutritional benefit in doing so. Why would i therefore spend 50 quid to stuff some powder up my nose?

lol is everything you do nutritionally beneficial?

Original post by Pink Liquid
Drugs mask the problem. They do not solve the root cause of the problem.

yes lots of people use drugs to escape problems.. but what about people who are happy and just curious? is curiosity a problem to be solved? what will solve it?

Drugs are drugs, regardless of the current states of legality of them - most synthesised drugs were developed deacades ago for medical uses by medics and scientists this includes the opiates, alkaloids etc that were orginally manufactured by large drug companies to treat various psychiatric illnesses or used as pain inhibitors in the case of the opiates. What is the logic in using pharamceutical grade medications recreationally, its ridiculous. On this basis why arnt drug users advocating the freedom to use drugs like risperidone and imipramine purely for the psychoactive effects :rolleyes:
I'm not stupid.
Original post by takethyfacehence
This!:

yes lots of people use drugs to escape problems.. but what about people who are happy and just curious? is curiosity a problem to be solved? what will solve it?

I don't understand you I'm afraid. The question is asking, 'Why have you NOT tried drugs?'

If the people are happy and CURIOUS, then they would go ahead and try it. They have 2 choices, to either try it out of curiosity or not...what was the point of your question?
Original post by Dalee
Ok ok, maybe it is true that government policy has and specifically does aim for self preservation... I dont really know much about instances in the past, like in the 60s you mentioned, but I definitely thought there was something odd a while ago when that scientist was fired for suggesting the lowering of the classification of weed... That did happen right? I'm not making that up ? :P

that was professor david nutt. His scientific, unbiased, honest study didn't please the government when he went public with it, so they fired him.
The official line on his sacking was something like "his scientific advice did not agree with government policy". They actually said that.

It seems ridiculous at first that people in power, the government, the rich (I mean the real rich, the corporate world etc.) would want to control people like this. But, look at our society, the current model has clearly got serious and unfixable flaws. People aren't happy.
The people in charge, who really essentially run the world and our whole lives, have got a massive amount to gain from keeping things as they are.
They don't want people thinking, and that's what people do when they get into these altered states of consciousness, they sit down and think things through in ways their sober mind might be too distracted or otherwise unable to achieve. They start opening their eyes to their own enslavement, and we are slaves. We think we're free but really that could not be further from the truth.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wont hear a word said against ketamine. That substance has been very useful to me. People can abuse it but used properly it's one of the most incredible conscious experiences it's possible to have.

Well, I was sharing my personal view. I didn't say you had to like it, or even agree with it. But the title asks "Why have you not tried 'drugs'?"
Reply 55
Because I value my health.
Nobody ever offered tbh... not entirely adverse to it just not really come up.
Original post by takethyfacehence
This!:

lol is everything you do nutritionally beneficial?

Yes, or financially so. Isnt that the case for everyone?
What would be the logic in doing something that isnt beneficial to you ( or someone else)?
Original post by Besakt
Why not?

They are drugs indeed but they are not comparable to other ones because I doubt we can go in shop and buy weed, right?

And although I've tried the two, I do not consume them on a regular basis.
Original post by Besakt
Do you drink?

Alcohol? Yes, to an extent. I know my own limits and would never drink to an amount that puts me in the position of not being in 'control' of my own body and mind.
Although I know people say smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol are just as bad if not worse than certain illegal drugs, and I agree, alcohol can cause more damage.
Although as I previously said, the title asks why I haven't tried drugs, and so I gave my personal reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest