The Student Room Group

Architecture Uni/Portfolio Help (Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle Info)

Hi, I'm predicted 3 A's and have applied to do Architecture at Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle (Newcastle is my favourite!)

Manchester have already asked for a portfolio of 10-12 images to include the following: sketches at a city scale, a landscape, an interior and a building or landscape you would like to visit. I just wondered whether they wanted sketches of buildings you have created in your head or sketches of buildings that actually exist.

Also could anyone tell me whether they got offers from any of the universities I have mentioned and what subjects they had and what offers they got?

THANK YOU very much, this will help me a lot!
(I apologise if this has been created before, I couldn't find anything about it)
Reply 1
Hey!

You could do what I did lol, for 'sketches at a city scale' I drew the Hong Kong skyline with continuos line work without looking at the drawing (blind contour drawing).

I think it would be better if you sketch the built environment around you. It would be a harder challenge if you draw from your head (in my opinion). And plus you'll get a lot of time showcasing your work when you get in the university.
Reply 2
Hi!

I am applying to Nottingham, Newcastle, Brookes, Sheffield and Manchester!

I got the same email from Manchester requesting a portfolio and was wondering if you know how much of the portfolio needs to be architecturally related? I have a lot of good pieces but not that many of buildings/city scapes!

My application has been acknowledged by all the uni's except from Brookes, but haven't got any offers.

thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by charleyb
Hi, I'm predicted 3 A's and have applied to do Architecture at Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle (Newcastle is my favourite!)

Manchester have already asked for a portfolio of 10-12 images to include the following: sketches at a city scale, a landscape, an interior and a building or landscape you would like to visit. I just wondered whether they wanted sketches of buildings you have created in your head or sketches of buildings that actually exist.

Also could anyone tell me whether they got offers from any of the universities I have mentioned and what subjects they had and what offers they got?

THANK YOU very much, this will help me a lot!
(I apologise if this has been created before, I couldn't find anything about it)

I'm from Newcastle but I didn't apply as I don't have the grades! FRom what I've heard people have drawn real buildings but from life and not drawn from photos..

I haven't applied to any of the ones you've applied to but there is a thread for all architecture applicants 2012 and there's been loads of people have been talking about the unis you've chosen...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35139900&highlight=architecture :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chokoishii
I'm from Newcastle but I didn't apply as I don't have the grades! FRom what I've heard people have drawn real buildings but from life and not drawn from photos..

I haven't applied to any of the ones you've applied to but there is a thread for all architecture applicants 2012 and there's been loads of people have been talking about the unis you've chosen...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35139900&highlight=architecture :smile:

aha, I saw that thread after i had posted this thread, i forgot about this one! Thanks
Original post by chokoishii

I didn't get 3 A's at A level but Newcastle said as long as I get a merit in my art foundation year it doesn't matter. This was the same for Liverpool and Sheffield although they have said they would like a distinction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending