The Student Room Group

Oxford Experimental Psychology Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasmineev
Interview at Magdalen for EP :biggrin:
We're not going for directly the same course or college so please may I be spared?:frown:

:beard: perhaps...
Original post by FBailey23
Interview at Magdalen for Psychology and Philosophy :smile:
When's everybody going?

Hmm, competition. You must die... :colone:
Hey guys good luck! I plan on applying next year.

Forgive my ignorance, how many colleges offer experimental psychology? What's the story with this i don't get it. Is it just one college? Are there different locations where experimental psychology take place. Confused...:-)
Original post by vVShabbaVv

Forgive my ignorance, how many colleges offer experimental psychology? What's the story with this i don't get it. Is it just one college? Are there different locations where experimental psychology take place. Confused...:-)

There are multiple colleges, but not ALL colleges. Check the oxford website.
Reply 24

Basically, all the lectures and practical classes and such take place at the department (with all the people from the other colleges doing your subject) and in second and third year, all the tutorials are arranged by the department and combined with other colleges (often they'll take place at the department, but they can be in other colleges). However, in the first year, the tutorials are organised by the college and will probably (though not necessarily) take place in college. There's a list of which colleges offer psychology on the Oxford website. All a college needs to offer a subject is the relevant tutor(s).
My thoughts exactly... :colonhash:

Hm, you seem somewhat cool so perhaps I will spare you... :tongue:

I'd pretend not to know which college you're at, but I know it's Magdalen so I won't lie. I'll be stalking you there and hiring someone to off you. :biggrin:
Well thank you..
And St. John's is it? I'm too excited to worry about the hitman. :biggrin:

Yep, St John's!

I'd meet up with you, but I'm not sure if I could procure a poison in your drink before interviews...

:awesome:
well done you guys! I'm applying for straight psychology :smile: hope I get an interview!!
Original post by pollyrylandsrichey
well done you guys! I'm applying for straight psychology :smile: hope I get an interview!!

Good luck! :smile:
I'm sure you'll find something.. :colone:
What dates are you there?

10-15. :smile:

Are you a Sherlock fan by any chance?
Why so long, most are 3 days aren't they?

And if you mean Sherlock Holmes, then yes. A bit random though... :biggrin:

Because I'm international :tongue:

I mean the BBC Sherlock show, but that works too. :biggrin: also doctor who?

You should join us for a meetup, it will be in a cafe 3pm Sunday 11 December. :smile:
Reply 31
I've applied for EP too! I haven't had any response yet, I really hope I get an interview, I'm so nervous! :L
well done guys, that's amazing! (:
I'm not sure what sort of experiments are conducted on this course, does anyone have any further information other than what is on the website?

I like the concept of introspection but i also like the more evidential based side of psychology. So what's your view on choosing EP over other courses?
Reply 33
I'm not sure what sort of experiments are conducted on this course, does anyone have any further information other than what is on the website?

I like the concept of introspection but i also like the more evidential based side of psychology. So what's your view on choosing EP over other courses?

It'll be very much about evidence-based research and systematic observation.
From what I've heard there'll be very little introspection (or Freud if you were wondering) as this is not based on scientific evidence - and Oxford very clearly defines Psychology as a science.

If you come to the dark side -Cambridge PPS (psychology, sociology and politics) you can study psychology/sociology through a wide range of methodologies. Its good for broadening your mind, and seeing how far the scientific method can take you. Plus you don't have to take politics, there is a lot of choice in the first year papers you do. Introspection never comes up though... although things like ethnographic studies/ discourse analysis do come up (they are both thoroughly boring!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. Most helpful. I'm still really undecided between Oxford and Cambridge.
i got an interview at corpus christi for EP

what have you guys done to prepare
Original post by danielwalsh
i got an interview at corpus christi for EP

what have you guys done to prepare

I drank a bit of poison the other day, I suggest you do the same. :smile:

Well, the obvious, right? Read around the subject, reviewed PS, etc. etc.
Punctuation, i laugh every time i read one of your comments. Legend :smile:
Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions. Most helpful. I'm still really undecided between Oxford and Cambridge.

They're changing the course next year from PPS to something else. Somethings about it are still undecided i think... This might affect your choice*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending