The Student Room Group

I live at home and my brother routinely hits me, what do I do?

Title says it all really.

My brother is quite small, but I am smaller still. Whenever my parents are not there, he will hit me (and sometimes when they are there). It is not THAT hard, but it stops me working and sometimes leaves bruises. Sometimes he hits me with tennis raquets/other hard objects.

This came up during my GCSE year and my school dealt with it very badly. I have since moved school for sixth form.

My parents honestly don't see anything wrong with it. They aren't about to change anything, so if this is going to change, it's up to me.

I am no longer legally a child, I just turned 18, but I really can't take it anymore. I am in my final year of school, I need to get into uni and meet my grades.

I have a little sister who is still legally a child, but he doesn't hit her.

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assuming that you are male and older than your brother, show him who's the boss...Delicately.
ok, if you're not trolling, the next time he beats you, beat him back just as hard in front of your parents then they'll take you seriously!!
Go to self defence classes. Then if he tries anything, you can beat the **** out of him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Lol how did the school deal with it badly.Its clearly a family matter and not their responsibility/fault.I suppose they should call social services if they thought you were being abused but what the hell man
Quick kick/punch in the nads will sort him out for a while...
Reply 6
Your parents are idiots for not seeing this as wrong and a problem, and for not disciplining him for it. I had a friend who had this same issue...i couldn't tell you what the solution is because hitting back could potentially end with you being beaten even worse. Perhaps be more vocal? Make it extremely clear it is not acceptable behaviour.
Reply 7
ro sham bo him...i.e. you kick him square in the nuts, then he kicks you square in the nuts etc etc until one of you falls over in pain (you will win as you will wear a cricket box and get the first shot)
Reply 8
You guys are completely useless and insensetive ********s. I would love to see how many of you could stand being in my position.

He is my older brother. He is three years older, he has a small build, but (being a girl) I have a smaller build. Hitting him back gets me a far worse beating, I have learned from past experience.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
You guys are completely useless and insensetive ********s. I would love to see how many of you could stand being in my position.

He is my older brother. He is three years older, he has a small build, but (being a girl) I have a smaller build. Hitting him back gets me a far worse beating, I have learned from past experience.

Most replies state use a weapon.. what kind of replies was you expecting??
Reply 10

insensetive? Your brother is insensetive and you are letting him walk all over you. I've had "brotherly love" before but I didn't let my brother consume me.

useless? What do you want us to do? There's not much advice that can be given and requires you take action, to protect yourself.

Si vis pacem, para bellum. if you want peace, prepare for war.
oh forthe love of god ......1st of all this lot ARE insensitive.....2 ure parents clearly dont listen to you, explain to them clearly that what ure brother is doing is upsetting you, is there another family memeber aunt or uncle who could help you speak to them? you could maybe try writin a letter to them if you dont feel able to clearly tell them why its upsetting you. Dont let him get to you. but please dont let him get away with it, it could get worse.

hope it helps

Omg, thats absoloutely horrible. Don't let him hit you and get away with it, its not fair on you. Tell your parents in private in a calm tone he hurts you a lot with his beatings, if you get bruises show them. He shouldn't get away with treating you horribly.

If your parents don't listen to you try and stand up for yourself ofc hes taller than you and stuff but maybe you can google tips on defending yourself or go to self defense classes?

If all fails and your parents dont care and the beatings continue tell your sixth form, someones gotta take some action and help you!
Reply 13
Poke him in the eye and kick him in the balls
Reply 14
Sounds like you need a boyfriend like this http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/shaq-letterman.jpg to finally destroy your bitch of a brother
Reply 15
Original post by mhignell
Lol how did the school deal with it badly.Its clearly a family matter and not their responsibility/fault.

If you tell a school that you're being abused at home (which this categorically is) they have a duty of care; they have to tell someone who can help you, typically social services, who should then send a social worker to make sure everything's ok.

OP: I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm also sorry that people on this thread are being dicks. In the long term, you need to move out; are you going away from home for uni? In the short term, please don't let your bad experiences put you off telling someone who might be more use. I'd actually contemplate telling the police, given that this is illegal; if you're scared to do that, maybe get in touch with a domestic violence helpline, who'll be able to give you more advice than a group of teenagers on a forum. Good luck :console:
Reply 16

my brother used to hit me all the time. (i'm 18, a girl, and my brother is my twin but a foot taller than me) i just used my nails!

but seriously, why is your brother at home anyway? if he's 21 he should be at uni/left home/at a job. talk to your parents very seriously. explain that it's disrupting your work. if they don't listen you WILL have to shout and make a big drama out of it to get their attention.

otherwise just cry when he hits you, and he'll feel bad.

people aren't being insensitive. the only things you can do are to make a big deal. so talk to your parents, fight back (so he can't actually hit you back, ie actually kick him hard), or if all else fails, blockade your bedroom door so he can't get in while you're working.

it sounds like your brother is very immature. my brother went through that phase of hitting me when he was about 14 or 15. if you don't stand up to him he'll just keep hitting you.
Reply 17
Original post by kerily
If you tell a school that you're being abused at home (which this categorically is) they have a duty of care; they have to tell someone who can help you, typically social services, who should then send a social worker to make sure everything's ok.

OP: I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm also sorry that people on this thread are being dicks. In the long term, you need to move out; are you going away from home for uni? In the short term, please don't let your bad experiences put you off telling someone who might be more use. I'd actually contemplate telling the police, given that this is illegal; if you're scared to do that, maybe get in touch with a domestic violence helpline, who'll be able to give you more advice than a group of teenagers on a forum. Good luck :console:

Lol your an idiot.I notice you purposefully left out the bit where I said the school should call social services if they think there is actually a problem.So get off your high horse
Reply 18
Your parents don't care that your older brother... who is 21... hits you?.... What the hell?
Reply 19
Original post by mhignell
Lol your an idiot.I notice you purposefully left out the bit where I said the school should call social services if they think there is actually a problem.So get off your high horse

No, that's not it at all; I was rather making the point that you saying there was nothing more the school could have done made no sense :confused: Any responsible school should have done something, and they didn't.

I'm not an idiot and I'm not on a horse :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending