The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eLECTROLOSIS
Im applying for Economics here (all business related) :biggrin: .. Either of you guys been to check the Uni out?..

Was meant to go to an open day but it just never happened!

I haven't been to see the Uni but know somebody there who says its great! Originally an edinburgh boy, family all still lives up there so i can go and see it wherever but i know from others its a nice uni. New accommodation halls look great aswell. Granparents live ten mins down the road so thats my laundry and if necessary dinners sorted :wink:.

Edinburgh is a wonderful city you'd love it I'm sure.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 41
Im applying for Economics here (all business related) :biggrin: .. Either of you guys been to check the Uni out?..

Was meant to go to an open day but it just never happened!

Mate i live in london, the best ive done is google maps :wink:
Reply 42
Another one applying for Economics here! I've got 37 points predicted (IB) and it asks for 29 so I think i'll get an offer.

Anyway, I also haven't actually been to the uni, how's it like?
Original post by Essex1875
I haven't been to see the Uni but know somebody there who says its great! Originally an edinburgh boy, family all still lives up there so i can go and see it wherever but i know from others its a nice uni. New accommodation halls look great aswell. Granparents live ten mins down the road so thats my laundry and if necessary dinners sorted :wink:.

Edinburgh is a wonderful city you'd love it I'm sure.

Sounds like you've got it all sorted!.. Yeah I went to Edinburgh a few years back for the Fringe and loved it.
Original post by hewodere
Mate i live in london, the best ive done is google maps :wink:

Hahaha same!.. I just hope I can understand the Scottish accent!
Reply 45

ahaha i cant wait, im afraid of laughing when i talk to any scottish person up there. the banter im going to have is unreal lol :biggrin:
Reply 46

imagine if you arent from UK :tongue: it must be 10 times harder!!
anyone applying for financial maths? if your applying for actuarial science its the same pool of applicants they select from - i asked the guy at the open day. If so what's the competition like grade wise? i got 5 A's in maths chem physics humanbio and english and im predicted 4 A's this year, physics maths and chem adv higher and higher computing
Reply 48
Original post by Hamill-time
anyone applying for financial maths? if your applying for actuarial science its the same pool of applicants they select from - i asked the guy at the open day. If so what's the competition like grade wise? i got 5 A's in maths chem physics humanbio and english and im predicted 4 A's this year, physics maths and chem adv higher and higher computing

Applied for actuarial science....got 5 As last year (Maths, Economics, Geography, Chemistry, General Studies), dropped Chemistry, and predicted A*A*AA plus A in extended project.
Original post by CloClo7
Applied for actuarial science....got 5 As last year (Maths, Economics, Geography, Chemistry, General Studies), dropped Chemistry, and predicted A*A*AA plus A in extended project.

looks like there's some fierce competition then:rolleyes: good luck, might see you in september, what else you applying for?

I have AAAB at higher.

So if I fail to get into actuarial science might I get an alternative offer for Financial Maths?
Reply 51
looks like there's some fierce competition then:rolleyes: good luck, might see you in september, what else you applying for?

I applied to City, Southampton, UEA and Kent, all for Actuarial Science...I'm 95% firming Kent, so now choosing between insuring with UEA or HW and I really don't know which one to choose! HW is ABB, UEA is AAB, UEA has year in industry but is slightly less well regard in Act Sci :s-smilie: I feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall trying to decide :frown:
Original post by CloClo7
I applied to City, Southampton, UEA and Kent, all for Actuarial Science...I'm 95% firming Kent, so now choosing between insuring with UEA or HW and I really don't know which one to choose! HW is ABB, UEA is AAB, UEA has year in industry but is slightly less well regard in Act Sci :s-smilie: I feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall trying to decide :frown:

HW!!!, im not all for act sci, my first choice was an Msci at St Andrew's called allpied quant finance but for some reason theyve withdrawn the course so im stumped
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I have AAAB at higher.

So if I fail to get into actuarial science might I get an alternative offer for Financial Maths?

I dont know about that, it's the same entry requirements, i just know that its a pool of both courses so theres twice as many places as there would be, but suppose that means theres twice as many applicants too:/
Reply 54
HW!!!, im not all for act sci, my first choice was an Msci at St Andrew's called allpied quant finance but for some reason theyve withdrawn the course so im stumped

Its so far away though (I'm an english applicant)....though from the two hours I spent in the city (work experience placement flew me up for a meeting) I fell in love with it. I don't know :s-smilie: Suppose I'll have to fork out two weeks wages for flight tickets :frown:
Just received a conditional for Economics. :smile:
Reply 56
Anyone else applying for Mathematics? :smile: I got AAAAB at Higher and I'm predicted to get ABBB this year with a B in AH Maths. Heriot-Watt's the only uni I've applied for that are handing out offers before the deadline, so I'm pretty nervous to see if i get one D:
Reply 57
My acknowledgement email has yet to come through , my other unis all have today. Come on heriot watt! Did anyone else have a lag? Ucas was sent off Monday and I received four replies today....but unfortunately not one yet from heriot watt :frown:
Reply 58
I sent my application away on Friday and got instant replies from all except Heriot-Watt, which came through on Monday night :/
Reply 59
How strange....literally just got an acknowledgement email from heriot watt right this minute.

Now the wait begins....

Quick Reply