The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
do night shift workers work on christmas day? (christmas day going into boxing day).

I booked my holiday on that day.. but i'm wondering if the store would be shut anyway
Reply 121
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if I am able to use my discount card to buy an Xbox live 12 month card?

Thanks
Reply 122
Original post by welshliz
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if I am able to use my discount card to buy an Xbox live 12 month card?

Thanks

Yes you can.
Reply 123
Wow, three threads...
I never managed to get through all 501 pages of the second one, but what I read was quite... interesting.

Anyway, I got a job at a nearby Sainsbury's, have my 9-5 induction on Friday.
I got really quite worried on my DVD test though, as I was the only one in the room, without anyone watching, and after it did the first two parts on the DVD (the choices and attention to detail bits), it suddenly looped and started asking section one again, but with different clips.:confused:
Virtually **** myself, not knowing whether I had answered the right questions or not, seeing as the clips would have made me give different answers. :redface:

Still, I got to induction so I guess I did OK in the end.
Reply 124
Original post by Competencies
Cheers for the help, really appreciate it!

I was prepared for all those questions except the first one which I think would've thrown me off a little bit so thanks for letting me know.

I have my interview on Monday so anyone who needs and help/advice after then, quote me and I'll respond.

Hi, good luck for today, I have my telephone interview on thursday.
Any tips or advice would be really appreciated. thanks :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by Shokking
Wow, three threads...
I never managed to get through all 501 pages of the second one, but what I read was quite... interesting.

Anyway, I got a job at a nearby Sainsbury's, have my 9-5 induction on Friday.
I got really quite worried on my DVD test though, as I was the only one in the room, without anyone watching, and after it did the first two parts on the DVD (the choices and attention to detail bits), it suddenly looped and started asking section one again, but with different clips.:confused:
Virtually **** myself, not knowing whether I had answered the right questions or not, seeing as the clips would have made me give different answers. :redface:

Still, I got to induction so I guess I did OK in the end.

Congratulations. I had my interview a week ago but failed the 1st part of the DVD which was the customer service. Could you give me some tips.
Reply 126
Original post by Anton19
Congratulations. I had my interview a week ago but failed the 1st part of the DVD which was the customer service. Could you give me some tips.

In the multiple choice bit, I looked at the clip carefully, and kept in mind that giving things away is largely unacceptable.
For example, don't just hand out money to anyone who complains, unless they prove they are owed it.
Also, watch for potential hazards, as the options to help immediately might be hazardous or otherwise cause difficulties to other customers, such as where you might be leaving trolleys, boxes or other large objects if you help the customer immediately.

In the spot-the-problem bit, it can be really obvious, such as large messes or the labels being completely wrong, right down to where things are, or perhaps aren't, on the shelf.

The maths bit seems pretty simple, you shouldn't have any problems with that bit except perhaps the last two or three questions which might be a little difficult to work out in your head. Use the scrap paper provided or the little blank patch in the box to jot out notes if you need.

Finally, the personal opinions bit is also pretty simple, just follow what it says. Some questions, such as the stealing ones or the "I am lazy" ones, are pretty simple to choose the option, but if you are an independant worker or you like to have directions given to you, make sure you answer those ones truthfully. If they hire you thinking you are good with initiative and know what you are doing, then find out you aren't, they probably won't keep you through after the probationary period.

*end of text wall*:colondollar:

EDIT: Oh, and if they do what they did for me and then talk to you about transport, past experience, school etc., emphasize past experience (I've used tills in a garden centre on Work Exp. before) that is relevant to daily tasks at the store, and say that transport is not an issue at all. You can go home, research the transport options, and find it out later. Giving them concerns about taking on someone who may intermittantly not turn up will really cripple your chances of success.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 127
In the multiple choice bit, I looked at the clip carefully, and kept in mind that giving things away is largely unacceptable.
For example, don't just hand out money to anyone who complains, unless they prove they are owed it.
Also, watch for potential hazards, as the options to help immediately might be hazardous or otherwise cause difficulties to other customers, such as where you might be leaving trolleys, boxes or other large objects if you help the customer immediately.

In the spot-the-problem bit, it can be really obvious, such as large messes or the labels being completely wrong, right down to where things are, or perhaps aren't, on the shelf.

The maths bit seems pretty simple, you shouldn't have any problems with that bit except perhaps the last two or three questions which might be a little difficult to work out in your head. Use the scrap paper provided or the little blank patch in the box to jot out notes if you need.

Finally, the personal opinions bit is also pretty simple, just follow what it says. Some questions, such as the stealing ones or the "I am lazy" ones, are pretty simple to choose the option, but if you are an independant worker or you like to have directions given to you, make sure you answer those ones truthfully. If they hire you thinking you are good with initiative and know what you are doing, then find out you aren't, they probably won't keep you through after the probationary period.

*end of text wall*:colondollar:

EDIT: Oh, and if they do what they did for me and then talk to you about transport, past experience, school etc., emphasize past experience (I've used tills in a garden centre on Work Exp. before) that is relevant to daily tasks at the store, and say that transport is not an issue at all. You can go home, research the transport options, and find it out later. Giving them concerns about taking on someone who may intermittantly not turn up will really cripple your chances of success.

Thanks for the help.
Reply 128
The pay in this company is absolutely atrocious for middle management like me :frown: So miserable at the moment.

Definitely trying to keep a positive mindset though for the long term outlook - the £30k salaries and 20% bonuses, and beyond even that.
Reply 129
This is my first proper, paying job, as opposed to non-paying work experience, so the 4.98 p/h is like a small fortune to me, even though I am aware it isn't necessarily a lot, compared to other people. :redface:

I'm a little apprehensive of the induction, as I know what seems to be in it but not sure quite what to expect from it.

They told me who to ask for and what time to be there and all, but they never mentioned where to go, I presume Customer Services desk? :s-smilie:
Reply 130
That's where I went first when I had my induction.

Heh...I feel bad. I lied through the personal opinions part of the test and said what I thought they wanted to hear, basically. But here I am, with my job a year on...
Reply 131
If you're after a job you're better off telling them what they want to hear. Ultimately your manager won't care what answers you put, if you can do the job they ask of you (which let's face it, 9 times out of 10 isn't difficult, just usually boring) then they'll be happy.
Reply 132
Original post by _N_

Heh...I feel bad. I lied through the personal opinions part of the test and said what I thought they wanted to hear, basically.

Well, you can lie through it, and I suppose largely it wouldn't matter. I'm just saying be truthful, because I got the job despite saying that perhaps I wasn't the most on-edge and "initiative-ful" person, but by saying so they know who they're taking on by picking me over the other person / people.

I want to know why I have my induction on a Friday, when it's Tuesdays and Fridays that I don't work... An obvious way to get the most hours of work out of me I'm sure.
Not that I'm complaining, more hours = more pay, thank you very muchly. :wink:
Reply 133
Original post by FXX
If you're after a job you're better off telling them what they want to hear. Ultimately your manager won't care what answers you put, if you can do the job they ask of you.

I told them what they wanted to hear for about 80% of it, as it coincided with what I feel is me anyway. The other 20% was essentially the truth about me that shows I am honest and admit to my own shortcomings, something that seems to have worked regardless of reason.

But on the other hand, I suppose if you're that likely to fail it based on your personality, you may as well lie for it, so you'll get a couple of month's pay before they realise how unsuited to the role you are and politely un-hire you. :rolleyes:
Reply 134
I told them what they wanted to hear for about 80% of it, as it coincided with what I feel is me anyway. The other 20% was essentially the truth about me that shows I am honest and admit to my own shortcomings, something that seems to have worked regardless of reason.

But on the other hand, I suppose if you're that likely to fail it based on your personality, you may as well lie for it, so you'll get a couple of month's pay before they realise how unsuited to the role you are and politely un-hire you. :rolleyes:

You'd have to do something really stupid to not get through the probationary period. Recruitment costs too much for them to keep firing people after 12 weeks. You'll soon learn Sainsbury's is all about spending as little as possible to earn the most money :wink: But then you only need to look at the wages compared to other supermarkets to see that. You'll also find management don't want people who can use initiative, they want people who do as they're told and do it well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by FXX
You'd have to do something really stupid to not get through the probationary period. Recruitment costs too much for them to keep firing people after 12 weeks.

I imagine so, fair point.

Original post by FXX
You'll also find management don't want people who can use initiative, they want people who do as they're told and do it well.

Maybe that's why I got the job, lol. "We don't want people who can do things by themselves..." :rofl:
Does Sainsburys not do extra pay on Sunday no more? Also, does pay rise after x amount of weeks?

Thanks
Original post by Negotiator
Does Sainsburys not do extra pay on Sunday no more? Also, does pay rise after x amount of weeks?

Thanks

People on older contracts get paid a bit more but new starters don't. :frown:
Think the pay goes up to the competent rate after 6 months, and there's usually a pay rise every September/ October.
I clocked out at 21:58 instead of 22:00.....will I not get paid for the last hour? :zomg:
Original post by Ladipidoo
I clocked out at 21:58 instead of 22:00.....will I not get paid for the last hour? :zomg:

You won't get paid for the last 15 minutes.

Latest