The Student Room Group

How can I get more mpg or is this normal?

Okay, maybe I'm just expecting too much from my car haha. I used to have a 2005 1.3l toyota yaris it had done 65k miles.

I now have a 2004 1.3l toyota yaris verso (estate) its done 39k miles.

Obviously, with the size of the car and shape of it, I was expecting it to use more petrol...

But I'm shocked by how much more its using.

I'm using £50 of petrol a week (at £1.34 a litre) and getting about 220 miles out of that if im LUCKY. sometimes I'm only getting 200 miles. All the driving I do is on a 60mph A road.

With my old yaris I was getting 350 miles out a full tank (£45)

Do I just need to accept thats how much fuel it used?

Scroll to see replies

not just the shape + size of it, but also increased mass of it! according to parker's your old one was around 850kg, but your current one is around 1 tonne :O

as you would expect, you need to use more power to shift the extra mass...........and use of more power is negative for economy potentials.

has it recently been serviced? having a fresh air filter, tyres with right pressure, etc. also,REMOVAL OF ROOF RAILS IF THEY NOT IN USE (bad for the aerodynamic)....................
Reply 2
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
not just the shape + size of it, but also increased mass of it! according to parker's your old one was around 850kg, but your current one is around 1 tonne :O

as you would expect, you need to use more power to shift the extra mass...........and use of more power is negative for economy potentials.

has it recently been serviced? having a fresh air filter, tyres with right pressure, etc. also,REMOVAL OF ROOF RAILS IF THEY NOT IN USE (bad for the aerodynamic)....................

Roof rails like that barely affect fuel economy as they're relatively streamlined. It's roof bars/roof racks that you have to worry about (but I dont, having had full roof racks on all three of my cars).

But you're quite right in that it may need a service. If the last owner has neglected the air filter for a long time then a blocked/dirty filter will hammer your fuel economy, as will incorrect tyre pressures. If they're too high then you'll simply burn through your tyre tread and destroy the handling, but too low will bring your rolling resistance right up, and thus, your economy down. Also look at how you drive. You will have to drive much more 'carefully' with this than with your old car to get even close to your old fuel figures, but you should be able to get better than you're doing.

I can do from my parent's house in the middle of Devon to Swansea, and back (with some driving around Swansea) on less than a tank of petrol in my Golf. The trip totals around 320 miles, and a tank is around 50-55 quid. The car is a 1.4 petrol, and probably quite a bit heavier than your car. I've just about squeezed my parent's house to London and back too, which is 400 miles round trip, but that had me driving like a saint to manage it.
Reply 3
looks like god is punishing you for driving something that ugly, soz.
A 1.3L in that car is not going to get you good economy, especially if it loaded up. It's shape doesn't help either at all, poor aerodynamic design if you ask me. Since when were estates supposed to look like panel vans? Unnecessarily high if you ask me, that car was meant to be a city vehicle as the Japs probably intended.

That car is quoted to get 40mpg combined, if you achieve that figure, well you should be happy. If you are serious, there are some ways you can strip down weight, but only if you are mechanically able.
Reply 5
Original post by something_vague
Okay, maybe I'm just expecting too much from my car haha. I used to have a 2005 1.3l toyota yaris it had done 65k miles.

Obviously, with the size of the car and shape of it, I was expecting it to use more petrol...

I'm using £50 of petrol a week (at £1.34 a litre) and getting about 220 miles out of that if im LUCKY. sometimes I'm only getting 200 miles. All the driving I do is on a 60mph A road.

lol to roof rail....it wouldn't make that much difference, and some of the other answers r quite stupid aswell...

the reason your not getting more mpg out of your 1.3 is because its a 1.3litre doing about 60....which would probably b at about 3/4000 revs ...

if you did the journey in 5th gear at 40....you'd get the most out of it.... when the rev counters between one and two...

den u'd probably get about 40mpg out of it atleast....

no need to change any filters, just wait till your next service to do that

i drive a 3litre bmw, which is **** local, but on a run at 60, it only does 1 and a half thousand revs and i get back about 35mpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by catjaum
lol to roof rail....it wouldn't make that much difference, and some of the other answers r quite stupid aswell...

the reason your not getting more mpg out of your 1.3 is because its a 1.3litre doing about 60....which would probably b at about 3/4000 revs ...

if you did the journey in 5th gear at 40....you'd get the most out of it.... when the rev counters between one and two...

i drive a 3litre bmw, which is **** local, but on a run at 60, it only does 1 and a half thousand revs and i get back about 35mpg

If the car hasn't been serviced in a while, well, I'm pretty darn sure it needs a service :rolleyes: As I've said, respectable MPG can be had with a 1.4 Golf doing 70-80mph at 3-3.5k rpm, which is a fair bit heavier than the OP's car too. Again, if the tyre pressures are out then it can have a massive effect on the amount of fuel you burn.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nuffles
If the car hasn't been serviced in a while, well, I'm pretty darn sure it needs a service :rolleyes: As I've said, respectable MPG can be had with a 1.4 Golf doing 70-80mph at 3-3.5k rpm, which is a fair bit heavier than the OP's car too. Again, if the tyre pressures are out then it can have a massive effect on the amount of fuel you burn.

i gave a response based on what the OP wrote, he doesn't mention anything about the services his car had, for all you know he could have serviced the car last week, and made sure all the tyres were at the correct pressure....

heck if you want to go down your root, why not consider the fuel tank might be leaking... :rolleyes:
Reply 8

You're right.
That does sound like it's using an awful lot of fuel? Using your figures it works out to about 26mpg, which is roughly the same as what my 36 year old, 3.5 litre, carb fed MG was getting on the original twin SU carbs.

A nearly new modern fuel efficient car aught to be miles better on fuel than my old tank?

New oil filter / oil / air filter and checking the tyre pressures will help. Although, I would actually suggest there might either be something else thats wrong e.g EGR Valve perhapse a faulty stepper motor / VIS Valve.

Of course, could it be possible that your previous car was an awful lot more fuel efficient and your numbers are way off?

I'd be inclined to get it to a garage for a service and have them hook the car up to a gas tester and do an emmisions check.

-JC.
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!

Original post by Nuffles
Roof rails like that barely affect fuel economy as they're relatively streamlined. It's roof bars/roof racks that you have to worry about (but I dont, having had full roof racks on all three of my cars).

But you're quite right in that it may need a service. If the last owner has neglected the air filter for a long time then a blocked/dirty filter will hammer your fuel economy, as will incorrect tyre pressures. If they're too high then you'll simply burn through your tyre tread and destroy the handling, but too low will bring your rolling resistance right up, and thus, your economy down. Also look at how you drive. You will have to drive much more 'carefully' with this than with your old car to get even close to your old fuel figures, but you should be able to get better than you're doing.

I can do from my parent's house in the middle of Devon to Swansea, and back (with some driving around Swansea) on less than a tank of petrol in my Golf. The trip totals around 320 miles, and a tank is around 50-55 quid. The car is a 1.4 petrol, and probably quite a bit heavier than your car. I've just about squeezed my parent's house to London and back too, which is 400 miles round trip, but that had me driving like a saint to manage it.

Original post by catjaum

Original post by fosters88
Brief advice on Fuel efficiency:
------------------------------------------

things that improve MPG:
1) light footed on the accelerator/brake pedal
2) glide towards things that you are going to have to stop for in the hope that when you reach them you can continue rather than stopping!
3) assess traffic ahead and change lanes to maintain constant movement and trying to maintain speed thus reducing braking etc
4) plan a route that has the least amount of stop-start driving (typically motorway driving provides better MPG to street driving)
5) maintaing 50mph (on road that permit such speed obviously)
6) turn off air-con*
7) remove unnecessary weight from the car*
8) you as the driver, if you are heavy then loose some weight*
9) do not have passenger in the car, or if you must not heavy ones*
10) only half fill tank, why use fuel to carry fuel!*
11) close windows (open windows creates air-drag)*
12) roof rails (create air-drag)* - though i'm not sure yours would!
13) check tyre pressure*
and so on...

*these also increase acceleration and improve braking. Remember "power to weight ratio" is a major factor in a cars acceleration, just as "speed to weight ratio" is a factor when braking!

however at this time of year; you should be adding weight to the car e.g. in the boot of a small light car as it is very easy to lose the backend in icy/snowy conditions.
people who have rear wheeled drive cars tend to stick things in the boot as well.

Thanks, it is due a service next month. Hahah, you can tell I don't know much about cars, I didn't understand what a service was until I read these replies and asked my boyfriend to explain what one was, I thought it was just an 'in depth' mot. How silly do I feel! I do have heating on in the car all the time because its FREEZING! but surely that isn't using up all my fuel?

Okay so I'll book it in for a service, and check its tyres.

A lot of it may just be down to my driving. I know I can change that. I drive too fast/accelerate too hard. It is hard in that car though, as you can imagine it isn't the best at accelerating so I do have to drop down a gear to overtake etcetera... and I can be impatient.

Perhaps I should just slow down and drive like the granny that the car was designed for :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks, it is due a service next month. Hahah, you can tell I don't know much about cars, I didn't understand what a service was until I read these replies and asked my boyfriend to explain what one was, I thought it was just an 'in depth' mot. How silly do I feel! I do have heating on in the car all the time because its FREEZING! but surely that isn't using up all my fuel?

Okay so I'll book it in for a service, and check its tyres.

A lot of it may just be down to my driving. I know I can change that. I drive too fast/accelerate too hard. It is hard in that car though, as you can imagine it isn't the best at accelerating so I do have to drop down a gear to overtake etcetera... and I can be impatient.

Perhaps I should just slow down and drive like the granny that the car was designed for :wink:

Pretty much. I don't bother overtaking in the Golf unless it's a tractor/someone doing 20+ under the limit. Even dropping a gear or two things get hairy unless you have a mile or so of straight road ahead of you :rolleyes: My previous car being even less powerful means this isn't that big a deal though as I've been driving like this for ages. I did overtake somebody with the Morris Minor once though - she was doing about 40 on derestricted road so I floored it in third and lumped it into fourth as I pulled out to overtake (aided by the downhill gradient, of course) The look on her face was priceless as the sound of a screaming A-series roared past her :biggrin: The heater shouldn't affect your economy too much - unless you have an air conditioner which comes on automatically to help with demisting the windows. My old Range Rover did this, and while it cleared windows almost instantly, it does kills your economy a bit. Obviously driving with the air con on for extended periods of time will bring your fuel usage right up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Get the car in for a service, and while at it ask for the o2 and MAF sensors.

things that improve MPG:
2) glide towards things that you are going to have to stop for in the hope that when you reach them you can continue rather than stopping!
3) assess traffic ahead and change lanes to maintain constant movement and trying to maintain speed thus reducing braking etc
4) plan a route that has the least amount of stop-start driving (typically motorway driving provides better MPG to street driving)
6) turn off air-con*
13) check tyre pressure*
and so on...

*these also increase acceleration and improve braking. Remember "power to weight ratio" is a major factor in a cars acceleration, just as "speed to weight ratio" is a factor when braking!

however at this time of year; you should be adding weight to the car e.g. in the boot of a small light car as it is very easy to lose the backend in icy/snowy conditions.
people who have rear wheeled drive cars tend to stick things in the boot as well.

1 - 4 - Yes, all these will help considerably
5 - The economy difference between 50 and 70 is negligible in modern cars. There actually isn't much benefit in maintaining 50 over 70.
6 - Absolute killer on economy, but better than having a window open at speed
7 - 10 - Almost complete rubbish. The fuel saving to be gained by reducing weight is so negligible it is simply not worth it. If you add half a ton of weight to the car (which is actually pretty difficult), the fuel consumption increases by approximately 0.7%
11 - Yes
12 - Negligible
13 - Yes, absolutely

As a Smarter Driving trainer, endorsed by the Energy Savings Trust, I train people specifically in how to reduce fuel consumption with savings anywhere between 15 and 40%. The principles have been developed over a number of years from evidence from around the world and it definitely works.
Reply 13
Original post by Emma-Ashley
1 - 4 - Yes, all these will help considerably
5 - The economy difference between 50 and 70 is negligible in modern cars. There actually isn't much benefit in maintaining 50 over 70.
6 - Absolute killer on economy, but better than having a window open at speed
7 - 10 - Almost complete rubbish. The fuel saving to be gained by reducing weight is so negligible it is simply not worth it. If you add half a ton of weight to the car (which is actually pretty difficult), the fuel consumption increases by approximately 0.7%
11 - Yes
12 - Negligible
13 - Yes, absolutely

As a Smarter Driving trainer, endorsed by the Energy Savings Trust, I train people specifically in how to reduce fuel consumption with savings anywhere between 15 and 40%. The principles have been developed over a number of years from evidence from around the world and it definitely works.

I don't intend to sound like a Devil's advocate, but I'm going to ask if you've got any evidence to back up some of those claims..
5 - I'm very sceptical, as drag (the major power drain at a steady speed) increases with the square of speed, so the drag at 70mph is near enough twice the drag at 50mph. Obviously that doesn't mean the fuel economy halves, but if you don't see a noticeable change in fuel economy that suggests a horrifically inefficient drive train.
6 - depends on a number of factors but not necessarily true and I don't think to the extent you suggest - a couple of MPG perhaps. A test by the IRTE said air-conditioning "has little or
no effect on fuel consumption" and I can't find any other solid evidence on the issue, but the power to run a compressor at low load (and it's rarely that hot over here!) is small relative to the power to keep a car moving at 70mph
7-10 - At a steady speed I would agree, but particularly for driving patterns with frequent changes in speed physics heavily implies that's wrong (F=MA - increase the weight of the car 10% and you require 10% more force to achieve the same acceleration).

I'm not just being argumentative - I've got a degree in mechanical engineering and I've discussed a lot of this with a friend who is an automotive consultant.

I'm also going to suggest that the OP makes an accurate calculation of the fuel economy in their new car (brim the tank, reset the trip meter, drive for a while, brim the tank again and use the quantity of fuel added the second time and the distance travelled to work out MPG) as the numbers above suggest 26mpg, which in a car like that suggests something seriously wrong. My brother does better than that thrashing a 2.8L Z3!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CurlyBen
I don't intend to sound like a Devil's advocate, but I'm going to ask if you've got any evidence to back up some of those claims..
5 - I'm very sceptical, as drag (the major power drain at a steady speed) increases with the square of speed, so the drag at 70mph is near enough twice the drag at 50mph. Obviously that doesn't mean the fuel economy halves, but if you don't see a noticeable change in fuel economy that suggests a horrifically inefficient drive train.
6 - depends on a number of factors but not necessarily true and I don't think to the extent you suggest - a couple of MPG perhaps. A test by the IRTE said air-conditioning "has little or
no effect on fuel consumption" and I can't find any other solid evidence on the issue, but the power to run a compressor at low load (and it's rarely that hot over here!) is small relative to the power to keep a car moving at 70mph
7-10 - At a steady speed I would agree, but particularly for driving patterns with frequent changes in speed physics heavily implies that's wrong (F=MA - increase the weight of the car 10% and you require 10% more force to achieve the same acceleration).

I'm not just being argumentative - I've got a degree in mechanical engineering and I've discussed a lot of this with a friend who is an automotive consultant.

I'm also going to suggest that the OP makes an accurate calculation of the fuel economy in their new car (brim the tank, reset the trip meter, drive for a while, brim the tank again and use the quantity of fuel added the second time and the distance travelled to work out MPG) as the numbers above suggest 26mpg, which in a car like that suggests something seriously wrong. My brother does better than that thrashing a 2.8L Z3!

Thank you for your input and I really appreciate the opportunity for a reasoned debate on this issue. I will get the data next week because it is not something I have to hand. I won't promise to understand it as I am not a mechanically minded person - I'm just the messenger - hopefully you will. At the very least we can get a definitive view on fuel saving tips.

Just out of interest, the Energy Saving Trust and the driving force behind the Smarter Driving campaign maintain that if you are going to be stationary for more than 20 seconds it is more economic to turn the engine off as the amount of fuel used in starting the car after that time is less than the amount that would be used if it was left running. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I would thoroughly agree with your last point that 26mpg does sound too low for this type of car and the measurement approach you suggest is definitely worthwhile.
Reply 15
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Thank you for your input and I really appreciate the opportunity for a reasoned debate on this issue. I will get the data next week because it is not something I have to hand. I won't promise to understand it as I am not a mechanically minded person - I'm just the messenger - hopefully you will. At the very least we can get a definitive view on fuel saving tips.

Just out of interest, the Energy Saving Trust and the driving force behind the Smarter Driving campaign maintain that if you are going to be stationary for more than 20 seconds it is more economic to turn the engine off as the amount of fuel used in starting the car after that time is less than the amount that would be used if it was left running. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I would thoroughly agree with your last point that 26mpg does sound too low for this type of car and the measurement approach you suggest is definitely worthwhile.

If you can get the data I'd be very interested to see it!
I don't know much about the time idling for it to become economical to turn the engine off - instinctively I would have said at least a couple of minutes but I don't have anything to back that up. The obvious issues are the amount of energy required to recharge the battery after starting and the additional fuel burned when starting the engine. If you wanted to get a bit more complex you could start thinking about the increased congestion as people are slower to move off as they restart their cars! Pragmatically though you're paying a few pennies per minute for a car idling, so I wouldn't (don't!) bother if I don't know I'm going to be stopped for a few minutes. Some of the modern stop-start systems are fantastic, but they're a bit more complicated than switching the engine on and off - Mazda for example has a system which detects where the pistons are and so restarts by simply firing the spark plug, so the system is closer to pausing the engine than stopping it.
Reply 16

things that improve MPG:
6) turn off air-con*
13) check tyre pressure*
and so on...

How on earth does using the air-conditioning affect the braking ability of a car? :eek::eek::eek:
As a short-term possible solution you could get a petrol additive that will clean the injectors. Most petrol stations stock them, the name escapes me right now. ....

Or just fill up using the 'premium' petrol, it is supposed to contain the same things.
Original post by lubus
looks like god is punishing you for driving something that ugly, soz.

ROFL
Reply 19
Original post by Kevmeister
As a short-term possible solution you could get a petrol additive that will clean the injectors. Most petrol stations stock them, the name escapes me right now. ....

Or just fill up using the 'premium' petrol, it is supposed to contain the same things.

That'd be Redex. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending