The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
I've applied to Imperial for the mechanical engineering course.Predicted AA*A* in maths, bio and physics. I know I can get an A* in maths my teacher is being a ****. Ok so someone tell me what are the chances I will get a conditional offer or even an interview?

Can someone please summarise how many people on this thread have gotten interview/offers? Alot/none/some

When I originally applied via ucas imperial hadnt put up all this new info about their financial support being increased and so on, or maybe i just couldn't find it. As a result I applied to the h304 course which has a year abroad and opted to lived at home whilst studying.

Now that I found out they're willing to pay 2.5k of my tuition fees and give me a 3.5k grant I want to live out at uni,I also don't want to do the h304 course with the year abroad. So I was wondering will I be able to change my course to the normal 4 years master mech eng. I sent off ucas 2 weeks ago, Is it still possible to change somehow, I've heard other unis allow you to discuss and change during interviews?

What options do i have...SOMEON PLEASE HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Mike93L
Dont write it off. They interview until 16th Dec and then again from late Jan so there's still plenty of time. I'm doing exactly the same A levels as you too.

If you don't mind me asking...what predicted grades did you get?
Original post by BlackPoison94
If you don't mind me asking...what predicted grades did you get?

Got a* in maths and predicted a* in fm, chem and physics
Yay offer! :biggrin:
Original post by Astronomical
Yay offer! :biggrin:

Congrats :smile: What did you get predicted btw?
Reply 2145
i got an offer from imperial for medicine
Reply 2146
Original post by Mike93L
Dont write it off. They interview until 16th Dec and then again from late Jan so there's still plenty of time. I'm doing exactly the same A levels as you too.

Been hoping so but from this thread think I realise that if I was going to be called would have happened by now. Just to decide if to plump for Manchester or hang on for next year:confused:
Original post by desy.kris
I have one for Maths&CS. have fun at the open day! good luck with the wait! :smile:

Hi there... :h:

I just got an offer from Imperial for JMC....Woot Woot:banana2:.

But the conditions are quite harsh. 5's in 5 of my AP's. (CS/PHY/CHEM/CALC/ECO).:eek:
Reply 2148
Original post by Adam010
I've applied to Imperial for the mechanical engineering course.Predicted AA*A* in maths, bio and physics. I know I can get an A* in maths my teacher is being a ****. Ok so someone tell me what are the chances I will get a conditional offer or even an interview?

Can someone please summarise how many people on this thread have gotten interview/offers? Alot/none/some

When I originally applied via ucas imperial hadnt put up all this new info about their financial support being increased and so on, or maybe i just couldn't find it. As a result I applied to the h304 course which has a year abroad and opted to lived at home whilst studying.

Now that I found out they're willing to pay 2.5k of my tuition fees and give me a 3.5k grant I want to live out at uni,I also don't want to do the h304 course with the year abroad. So I was wondering will I be able to change my course to the normal 4 years master mech eng. I sent off ucas 2 weeks ago, Is it still possible to change somehow, I've heard other unis allow you to discuss and change during interviews?

According to what I've heard, people do alter if they want to do the year abroad or not. I've heard that it doesn't matter till like the end of first year/second year (poor memory) and that's when it is properly decided who all are going to the year abroad thing. (At least that's the way in Aero... But I doubt Mech would be much different).
As for the accommodation, i think that might be sorted out by a quick e-mail to the accommodation department.
Original post by Adam010

It's usually quite easy in most departments to swap from a year abroad to a normal course. It happens a lot. People sometimes are dropped from the year abroad anyway because they aren't getting good enough grades, so it obviously can't be that hard to arrange. Also, I know a few people decide they no longer want to do a year abroad and so change because they love it here at Imperial so much.

Just email the accommodation department. They will sort the accommodation out and I seriously doubt it will be a problem.
Original post by {Unregistered}
Hi there... :h:

I just got an offer from Imperial for JMC....Woot Woot:banana2:.

But the conditions are quite harsh. 5's in 5 of my AP's. (CS/PHY/CHEM/CALC/ECO).:eek:

finally!!!! :biggrin: congratulations!!! my conditions are crazy too, but w/e if I get an offer from Oxford I'll firm Ox :tongue: good luck with achieving those grades!
Reply 2151
chemistry offer received!! :smile:
Original post by timing
chemistry offer received!! :smile:

Awesome, well done! :biggrin:

For those receiving offers there is now an Imperial offers thread here
Reply 2153
Original post by aleviodema
has anyone who got interviewed for aeronautical engineering heard any news yet? I was interviewed 2 days ago, and I'm wondering when a decision will be made.

I heard that the aeronautics offers will be made sometime next week.
Reply 2154
I applied early October for Mechanical Engineering, predicted 3 A*'s in Maths/Fmaths and Physics and I've only got an acknowledgement so far, I'm pretty worried. :frown:
Original post by BlackPoison94
Congrats :smile: What did you get predicted btw?

Thanks!

My A-level predictions were A*A*A (further maths, physics, chemistry). Already had an A* in maths, so they have overlooked it in my offer (which is AAA, in case you would like to know).

Chuffed to bits! :biggrin:
Original post by richf94
I applied early October for Mechanical Engineering, predicted 3 A*'s in Maths/Fmaths and Physics and I've only got an acknowledgement so far, I'm pretty worried. :frown:

Please don't worry. Sometimes it does take them ages to reply. It doesn't really mean anything. Last year there were people who applied in October and then did not receive their offers until the new year.

(Awesome predicted grades by the way)
Original post by richf94

join the club :frown:
I shall shed light on the mech eng situation. This may not be true, but this is what I was told by a friend who's Dad graduated from mech eng at Imperial in the mid 80s.

They have an interview date in October (selected few), November (larger group), December (larger group), January, February and March (Latter three are much larger groups than in Oct, Nov and Dec). In the first three interview sessions, they aim to interview everyone who has got an A* in maths with a good personal statement, people who already have met the entry requirements and people who Imperial would love to give an offer to (many A*/As at GCSE and straight As at AS). They then wait until mid January for Oxbridge to release their results and those who get in, Imperial accept that they'd firm them and decline the Imperial offer and those who don't get into oxbridge but received an offer off Imperial may firm them before mid January. After this, they see how many spaces remain and rank your application from strongest to weakest.

Next step is to issue the strongest of applicants in the list with an interview in late January, and make offers to most of them. Next they issue interviews to the next strongest batch of students in February. Finally they issue interviews to the final batch of students in March (number changes depending on how many offers were given out previously). The remaining applicants will not receive an offer for mech eng. These applications are divided into two groups - those that they think would benefit from a degree from Imperial, and those who'll benefit from an engineering degree. The latter lot are rejected as it'll be in the best interests of the student. The first lot of applications are sent off to other departments who consider these and give offers out for that course respectively. The rest who remain get rejections in the final week of March or the first week of April (Day after Jan exams results day for me).
Reply 2159
Original post by Yaaridu
I heard that the aeronautics offers will be made sometime next week.

Ummm as far as I know (because we have reduced number of lectures as all the lecturers are taking Aero interviews :biggrin::biggrin: ) A lot of the interviews also occur in February so it might take a while...

Latest