University College London
London

UCL History 2012 entry

Hey guys
Anybody applying for history at UCL this year? :smile:
Which subjects are you doing for A2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't seen a thread specifically for UCL History applicants, so thought i'd set one up. Join in if you're applying, when you applied, got aknowledgement, questionare, offer etc. If you want to put down predicted grades then feel free, and where else you applied.

I sent my UCAS off on monday, no aknowledgement as of yet. Predicted A*A*A. Decent AS UMS with 3 modules at 100% but none of them in History unfortunately, but still on for an A* hopefully!

Good luck people!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
A lonely thread :frown: But I'm pleased I've seen it!

Applied 10th October, got acknowledgement but no questionnaire or anything yet - worried in case I've deleted it or put it in the junk folder or anything! Just paranoid :P
Predicted A* A* A
Applied to Oxford, UCL, Bristol, St Andrews, Leeds
Reply 3
I was considering applying to UCL along with LSE, St Andrews, Durham and Birmingham but they don't really leave much room for error and (probable) rejection.

GCSE's (8A*'S and 4A's), AS Level (History A, English Lit A, Biology A, Chemistry B) Extended Project A* - if that really counts for anything?, Predicted A Levels (History A*, English A, Biology A).

What do you think odds are for people with grades like mine? It seems that most of the people of TSR are pretty much predicted at least 2 A*s and no B at AS.

Is UCL worth a shot, or should I look else where?
Reply 4
Original post by jen233
I was considering applying to UCL along with LSE, St Andrews, Durham and Birmingham but they don't really leave much room for error and (probable) rejection.

GCSE's (8A*'S and 4A's), AS Level (History A, English Lit A, Biology A, Chemistry B) Extended Project A* - if that really counts for anything?, Predicted A Levels (History A*, English A, Biology A).

What do you think odds are for people with grades like mine? It seems that most of the people of TSR are pretty much predicted at least 2 A*s and no B at AS.

Well with grades like those you'll have a good shot wherever you apply! But applying to all those unis is risky, 4/5 of those are top top unis for history. Maybe choose between UCL and LSE and pick an AAA/AAB? Also, your GCSE's are a lot better than mine.
Original post by jen233

If it's any help - I had AAAB at AS level and I got a UCL offer last year. :smile: It's more than worth a shot!
Reply 6
I'm going to give UCL a shot and change one my others. Thanks for your help!!
Hi, I'm applying as well. Heard nothing yet though.
Reply 8
Has anyone got anything back yet? Like a questionnaire or anything?
Reply 9
I got a questionnaire this afternoon - only i was not aware we had to go through this! seems like a lot of work ):
Reply 10
Yeah, I got a questionnare yesterday too. It looks like it requires quite a lot of effort, but hey, I really want an offer so Let's do this :biggrin:
Reply 11
I have gotten an email from UCL asking for my UMS marks of every module I've sat - is this just standard procedure?
Reply 12
Original post by jen233
I have gotten an email from UCL asking for my UMS marks of every module I've sat - is this just standard procedure?

Yes. They asked me for module scores in their email telling me they'd received my application.
Is this questionnaire a document requested specific UMS marks as is warned on the acknowledgement email, or is it asking for more than just UMS? I have not received a questionnaire but I provided my UMS marks on my UCAS application...
Reply 14
I received a questionnaire (today!) that's due tomorrow at noon, local time (I'm from the US). Did everyone receive this today?

Also, being from the US, I have no idea what UMS are. I don't take A Levels...Would it be the equivalent to the percent grade you ger per semester in an American class? Would it be more like listing AP tests and scores?

Finally, does anyone know how much this is weighted? One night is pretty short notice, and this happens to be my busiest night of the week (obligations that cannot be rescheduled), so I'm not sure how 'quality' my answers are going to be...

D:
Original post by sbcal
I received a questionnaire (today!) that's due tomorrow at noon, local time (I'm from the US). Did everyone receive this today?

Also, being from the US, I have no idea what UMS are. I don't take A Levels...Would it be the equivalent to the percent grade you ger per semester in an American class? Would it be more like listing AP tests and scores?

Finally, does anyone know how much this is weighted? One night is pretty short notice, and this happens to be my busiest night of the week (obligations that cannot be rescheduled), so I'm not sure how 'quality' my answers are going to be...

D:

1. It just wants you to provide a specific breakdown of your marks/grades.
2. I think it's weighted like an interview would be.
3. I think it was a mistake and the deadline is 15th December. I received a successive email saying that it was a mistake and it's actually due in two weeks, even though I had already sent it.

Hope this helps.
Good luck to everyone submitting their questionnaires! I haven't begun mine yet but have a good idea of what I want to say. I got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview so my spirits have been dampened a lot and I'm kind of regretting aiming so high. ¬_¬
Reply 17
Do they do interviews or not any more?
Because in the original process, when I applied they said they would interview, but then in the email with the questionnaire attached it seemed like they would offer (or, more likely, not offer) dependent on that questionnaire. Does anyone know what the state of play is?
Reply 18
Original post by thom20
in the email with the questionnaire attached

Original post by jesusofsuburbia
Good luck to everyone submitting their questionnaires! I haven't begun mine yet but have a good idea of what I want to say. I got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview so my spirits have been dampened a lot and I'm kind of regretting aiming so high. ¬_¬

Congrats on the second stage. As far as I'm aware their is no interview. Out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait in between submitting UCAS and receiving the questionnaire?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Hey, has anyone else got a letter from UCL yet, post questionnaire? I got one yesterday saying admissons had recommended to the history fac that I get a place and I was also invited to an open day in January. It's not a concrete offer, so does anyone know whether I'll get an offer on attending the open day or whether I could still get rejected? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending