The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Chinese Studies

Scroll to see replies

Oh no, I was just wondering what you covered and things, so that's more than enough, thanks :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
Offer hypee! Anyone else sent off their Ucas/ had any offers for Chinese yet?
Reply 42
Sent my ucas off this morning...

And so the wait begins!
Reply 43
Grrr I've either got an offer or rejection from Sheffield tonight but for some reason I can't log into track to see what it is :frown: (I've already had replies from all my other choices so Sheffield is the only one left to reply to me). Really hope its an offer I love Sheffield so much and everyone either there already or applying seems so nice!
Reply 44
I'm pretty sure you've got an offer! What other Universities are you applying to?
Reply 45
Waa don't say that! Save some offers for meeee! :biggrin:
Reply 46
I was wondering today about the financial situation in regards to the year abroad. Who do you pay fees to? How much? Is obtaining a student loan different if you are studying abroad?
£2000 paid to Sheffield if I remember correctly.
Hey, I do Chinese Studies at Sheffield :smile: We actually had a meeting about the year abroad yesterday and they said we pay half fees to the University of Sheffield. There are normally scholarships available, so if you have a scholarship they will pay your fee to Nanjing. If you don't qualify for the scholarship you need to pay it yourself and then Sheffield will refund it. It's a little complicated, but the long and short of it is that you pay half fees to Sheffield, so about £1600, not sure how it will work once the fees go up though.
Reply 49
Original post by fortunecookie
Hey, I do Chinese Studies at Sheffield :smile: We actually had a meeting about the year abroad yesterday and they said we pay half fees to the University of Sheffield. There are normally scholarships available, so if you have a scholarship they will pay your fee to Nanjing. If you don't qualify for the scholarship you need to pay it yourself and then Sheffield will refund it. It's a little complicated, but the long and short of it is that you pay half fees to Sheffield, so about £1600, not sure how it will work once the fees go up though.

Yep, also it's about a 50/50 chance you will get a scholarship if you are averaging a 2.1-2.2 for your first year (and up to November of the 2nd). People who are getting 1st have the option of the super amazing scholarship which pays for nearly everything in your year abroad. That is one is harder to get though and your C.V should be a glowing if you are interested. I envy them =_= Only the mostly fluent/A-Level students are getting those sort of grades.
Reply 50
Original post by 07734
Yep, also it's about a 50/50 chance you will get a scholarship if you are averaging a 2.1-2.2 for your first year (and up to November of the 2nd). People who are getting 1st have the option of the super amazing scholarship which pays for nearly everything in your year abroad. That is one is harder to get though and your C.V should be a glowing if you are interested. I envy them =_= Only the mostly fluent/A-Level students are getting those sort of grades.

You mean the people who were at A-Level standard before starting the course? Sounds a little unfair. :frown:
Reply 51
Fearless is on tv with subtitles, yayyy!
Reply 52
Hi! I have applied to do history and chinese at Sheffield but haven't had an offer and it has been agggesss! Did all of you wait a long time to hear? Also did you all apply to chinese studies at all your universities or just here? Thanks!
Reply 53
Woohoo just got my Sheffield offer of ABB, 12 days after I applied, also got a Leeds offer today!

Yeah I applied for Chinese at every Uni, now I just have to get the grades -whelp
Reply 54
Original post by Franom
Hi! I have applied to do history and chinese at Sheffield but haven't had an offer and it has been agggesss! Did all of you wait a long time to hear? Also did you all apply to chinese studies at all your universities or just here? Thanks!

I applied for exactly the same course, sent my ucas at the end of October and got a reply from Sheffield within 3 weeks. :smile: I've also applied for Leeds, Durham and Manchester. I got an offer for Manchester within a week of sending my application, but am still waiting to hear from the others. Bit worried that I haven't got a Leeds offer yet. :frown: What are the grades for your Leeds offer Roxas?
Reply 55
ABB also, and I was pretty gobsmacked, two offers in one day! Very happy bunny :smile:
Reply 56
Ah I got my offer today! Was quite suprised too considering I only applied for one course with chinese so my personal statement wasnt really geared that way!
Reply 57
God my two offers from Leeds today! So I have all my offers apart from Durham (which I expect a rejection from).

Also, is anyone planning on going to one of the post-offer open days?
I'm going on March 7th.
Reply 58
I got a letter in the post about post offer open days at sheffield but the link they sent me in the letter isnt working.

Has anyone else got this letter and if so did the link work for them?
I really want to go to one of the open days but I cant register without the link :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending