The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sohoscribbler
It's also not just about academic results. A schoolfriend of mine hit the top possible A level results but did not get into his top two choices of university, perhaps because he had no life outside.

The top possible results for Cambridge would be 100% UMS in five or six subjects.If you mean straight A grades you should be aware that Oxford & Cambridge reject thousands of people every year with straight A grades. They may not have performed well at interview or on pre interview tests or may haver done the wrong subjects. Or they may have shown little passion for the subject. It will never have been (with the exception of medicine etc) that they had no life outside school.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/teachers/selection/personalstatements.html
"As our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria, a student's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities is not taken into account (unless it is relevant to the course applied for) and does not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."

Other universities may have rejected for wrong subjects, weaker GCSEs or modules grades, poor personal statement or wrong A levels. Extracurriculars may have been a factor but you cannot be certain.

"However, students should be advised to consider the importance that their other university choices may place on extra-curricular activities when composing their personal statement."
In that case I would say it was the Bs at AS. Cambridge are looking for a really strong academic record throughout, not just your predictions to A2. Yes, this counts GCSEs too but I can't imagine they hold much weight on your application, definitely not as much as AS levels.
Remember that pretty much everyone else has or is predicted A* in maths so they are forced to look beyond those grades to things like average AS UMS marks
Chances are you'll get into another top uni though :smile:
Reply 7922
Can you use the CSAS to take into account events during your GCSEs that caused them to be below standard or is it just for during A-levels?
Original post by Colmans
GCSE's good enough (normal for successful candidates for Cambridge & Oxford, a good plus for LSE).
AS A bare A is nowhere near good enough-you should be 95% average for Economics applicant (Cambridge).
Extra curricular-fine but almost irrelevant
A in FM a worry. Maybe you don't want to seem over confident but you need to aim for an A*.
The most important thing you can do to improve your chances would be reading, search the forums for ideas (but move beyond freakonomics etc) & also read a quality newspaper and the economist.

This is for Economics, if you don't want such a mathematical course apply to Oxford instead then the FM is not an issue.

Hey,

I see that you posted that 10.5A*s at GCSE is "normal" for a successful economics applicant to Cambridge. Well, I only was allowed to do 9 proper GCSEs and got 8A*s. Well I got 9A*S but the 9th one is an i.t diploma which cambridge don't count. So does this mean that my GCSEs already put me at a disadvantage for econ
Original post by Extricated
Hey,

I see that you posted that 10.5A*s at GCSE is "normal" for a successful economics applicant to Cambridge. Well, I only was allowed to do 9 proper GCSEs and got 8A*s. Well I got 9A*S but the 9th one is an i.t diploma which cambridge don't count. So does this mean that my GCSEs already put me at a disadvantage for econ

Firstly I dont believe the 10.5 A* comment

Secondly, its the percentage of A*s that count, 8/9 = 89% which is higher than 9/11 for example so dont worry
Hey,

No, unless the A was in GCSE Maths and then you didn't do FM.

The important thing is to get exceptionally good UMS especially in Maths. The interview is also important to distinguish between the 'good on paper' candidates.
All I meant was that 10.5A* wouldn't be unusual or abnormal.
Hey,

stop lying....you got only 2a*'s....the other 6 is dependent on this year....thought I hope you get them :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 7927
Original post by wcp100
Can I ask what Kind of Percentages people get...

In my mocks I got:
100% Physics
97% Maths
96% Chemistry
- Further Maths (Haven't done it yet)

RAW
Are these typical of people who apply?

I mean seriously, what the **** do you expect us to say? Jesus Christ people like you who come on and say is 100% good enough to get into Cambridge? Get a grip.
Original post by Etoile
Can you use the CSAS to take into account events during your GCSEs that caused them to be below standard or is it just for during A-levels?

I think it can count for GCSEs. Could be wrong but I seem to recall someone used it to explain GCSE results. If in doubt, e-mail a college and ask :smile:
Reply 7929
Original post by gethsemane342
I think it can count for GCSEs. Could be wrong but I seem to recall someone used it to explain GCSE results. If in doubt, e-mail a college and ask :smile:

Okay, thanks. I broke my arm pretty badly at the beginning of year 11 and needed two operations and missed lots of school due to appointments, the operations, physio etc and it was my writing arm so I struggled taking nots and doing work and had special arrangements during my mocks but they didn't give them to me during the real thing - I didn't meet my target grade in English lang & lit and product design because of this, because I was incapacitated. I hope they will take this into account :s-smilie: I will email a couple of colleges I think, not sure which I want to apply to yet though :lol:
Original post by joneasy
I mean seriously, what the **** do you expect us to say? Jesus Christ people like you who come on and say is 100% good enough to get into Cambridge? Get a grip.

I wanted to know what kind of UMS of people who have places there, as to make a comparison.

I didn't ask for extraneous inflammatory remarks from people who seem not to be able to read.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Etoile

I used it (successfully) for GCSEs. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the form (google it), get it filled in by the appropriate person, and post asap after sending your UCAS/SAQ.
Reply 7932
Original post by Vinchenko
I used it (successfully) for GCSEs. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the form (google it), get it filled in by the appropriate person, and post asap after sending your UCAS/SAQ.

Thanks, it's good to hear someone's personal experience :smile: I will tell my school I want to use it when we go back after Christmas :h:
Original post by Etoile
Thanks, it's good to hear someone's personal experience :smile: I will tell my school I want to use it when we go back after Christmas :h:

For 2013 admission?? Like I say, it really doesn't need to be sent until after your application, so I shouldn't worry about it just yet! It's very simple to get filled in, too, though it's obviously fairest to allow your referee a week or more to write it. And you're welcome. :smile:
Reply 7934
Original post by Vinchenko
For 2013 admission?? Like I say, it really doesn't need to be sent until after your application, so I shouldn't worry about it just yet! It's very simple to get filled in, too, though it's obviously fairest to allow your referee a week or more to write it. And you're welcome. :smile:

Yup, they are starting the programme for Oxbridge applicants now, and we have to have our PS's finished by the end of the summer :afraid:
I was just wondering, because I only got 2A* at GCSE, so I figured if there was no way it would be taken into account then it might not be worthwhile applying :/
Thanks for your time :h:
Reply 7935
Original post by Etoile
Yup, they are starting the programme for Oxbridge applicants now, and we have to have our PS's finished by the end of the summer :afraid:
I was just wondering, because I only got 2A* at GCSE, so I figured if there was no way it would be taken into account then it might not be worthwhile applying :/
Thanks for your time :h:

I also got 2 A*'s with no mitigating circumstances and got an interview. It seems Cambridge, at least for the arts, do not seem to pay much attention to GCSE's and will focus on AS UMS far more. So I wouldn't let that stop you from applying.
Reply 7936
Original post by Jeebus42
I also got 2 A*'s with no mitigating circumstances and got an interview. It seems Cambridge, at least for the arts, do not seem to pay much attention to GCSE's and will focus on AS UMS far more. So I wouldn't let that stop you from applying.

Brilliant, thank you! :h:
Now to destroy those AS's :colone:
Hi everyone...I got 2A*'s 2B's 1C and 6A's for GCSE and I'd like to do medicine at Cambridge, the only problem is my C is in additional science and although I have extenuating circumstances will this alter my chances? I know my choices of universities will be limited.
I know the minimum requirement is a C, but I was also wondering whether I could take an IGCSE for bio, chem and phys and whether that would help make my application stronger.

At the moment I am in year 13 studying more artsy subjects, for one reason or another but finally decided medicine is a dream and I should go for it so I'm studying maths, biology and chemistry at a new college next year. This means I could study for the IGCSE's now with no extra stress. Any opinions?
Reply 7938
Original post by londonlily
Hi everyone...I got 2A*'s 2B's 1C and 6A's for GCSE and I'd like to do medicine at Cambridge, the only problem is my C is in additional science and although I have extenuating circumstances will this alter my chances? I know my choices of universities will be limited.
I know the minimum requirement is a C, but I was also wondering whether I could take an IGCSE for bio, chem and phys and whether that would help make my application stronger.

At the moment I am in year 13 studying more artsy subjects, for one reason or another but finally decided medicine is a dream and I should go for it so I'm studying maths, biology and chemistry at a new college next year. This means I could study for the IGCSE's now with no extra stress. Any opinions?

Never mind.
Reply 7939
Why does this thread exist?? :s The typical offer from Cambridge is stated clearly on their website and elsewhere. You have 5 choices in UCAS, if you wish to study at Cambridge, and you have an chance of obtaining the grades near typical offer just freaking apply...

Latest

Trending

Trending