The Student Room Group

How can I get more mpg or is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My tip sell the yaris the verso model horrible get something like a ford focus instead far better car :smile:
Original post by Kevmeister
As a short-term possible solution you could get a petrol additive that will clean the injectors. Most petrol stations stock them, the name escapes me right now. ....

Or just fill up using the 'premium' petrol, it is supposed to contain the same things.

Thanks.......is the cost of the fuel additives/premium petrol likely to 'repay' me or whatever in how much more miles I get from my fuel? OR is it likely to even out at about the same and not be worth the money?

I've actually been doing better fuel wise this week :smile: Checked tire pressure, the fronts were a bit low but not drastically so, but they're okay now.

And I've just been driving more efficiently. Accelerating gently....staying in a low gear, sticking to the speed limit, not over-taking, and it has paid off, because I've literally put close to HALF the amount I usually would in the tank :biggrin: Although I have made a couple less journeys this week but still..

My car isn't as bad as I thought.

Accourding to my MPG average this week, its worked out at 39mpg...... No idea what it was the previous weeks as I hadn't reset the meter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by greggy50
My tip sell the yaris the verso model horrible get something like a ford focus instead far better car :smile:

I love my postman pat van! :wink:
Original post by something_vague
Thanks.......is the cost of the fuel additives/premium petrol likely to 'repay' me or whatever in how much more miles I get from my fuel? OR is it likely to even out at about the same and not be worth the money?

It should improve your MPG ever so slightly, and will improve performance a tad too, especially with the second application - each bottle will last two tankfuls, so on first use you may not notice much but the second one will improve things - it cleans the injectors/fuel system.

Definitely worth a shot, as a short-term solution.
Reply 24
Original post by something_vague

And I've just been driving more efficiently. Accelerating gently....staying in a low gear, sticking to the speed limit, not over-taking, and it has paid off, because I've literally put close to HALF the amount I usually would in the tank :biggrin: Although I have made a couple less journeys this week but still..

Do you mean staying in a high gear?

Higher gear = Less Revs -> Less fuel used

:smile:
Reply 25
Original post by IndyAM
Do you mean staying in a high gear?

Higher gear = Less Revs -> Less fuel used

:smile:

but don't do what my dad does when he drives my car. sticks it in top gear (6th) at around 25mph but then has to slam his foot to the floor to get any kind of movement going xD i think the skill is working out when the most economic time is to change gear in the paticular car :smile:

correct me if i'm mistaken i'm not exactly clued up about mechanics, but i am skint so i would like to know if i'm incorrect :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by poison.
but don't do what my dad does when he drives my car. sticks it in top gear (6th) at around 25mph but then has to slam his foot to the floor to get any kind of movement going xD i think the skill is working out when the most economic time is to change gear in the paticular car :smile:

correct me if i'm mistaken i'm not exactly clued up about mechanics, but i am skint so i would like to know if i'm incorrect :smile:

He's being more economical than someone in 4th at higher revs.

And this is the streategy of ANY taxi driver i've ever been driven by. I tend to just use the right gear, and forget MPG.

But again, Higher Gear = Lower Revs = Less Fuel consumed = More MPG

Hope that helps!
Reply 27
No, labouring the engine (and if you're flat to the floor to get any acceleration you're definitely labouring the engine) isn't economical. Peak economy is achieved at peak torque - too far above or below that point and you start burning more fuel than you need to.
Reply 28
Original post by CurlyBen
No, labouring the engine (and if you're flat to the floor to get any acceleration you're definitely labouring the engine) isn't economical. Peak economy is achieved at peak torque - too far above or below that point and you start burning more fuel than you need to.

Just gonna leave this here.

http://www.viragotech.com/fixit/FuelEconomyEngineEfficiencyPower.html
Besides the other things suggested:

-If it's too hot and you're in, say a traffic jam or travelling slower than about 30mph, open the windows rather than putting the air con on because it takes power away from the engine and thus decreases its efficiency. If you're not in a jam though and are travelling faster than 30 then use the air con because the open windows at those speeds cause turbulence that means the engine needs more power to reach a certain speed.

-Fit anti-roll tyres; they decrease parasitic friction. Though be careful if you're going to use them on snow because they can decrease your grip slightly.

-Strip out unnecessary weight. If it's there and you don't think you need it, take it out (though you may need to speak with your insurer for some things), including seats.

-It is legal to drive with only one side mirror (don't take off the one on the driver's side) providing you still keep the one on the windscreen. Taking it off can reduce both drag and weight.

-More power can be produced from the fuel when it's colder. So try to park in cool places when you can.

-Take your keys out when you can't move; fuel is burnt whenever the engine is running, even if it isn't moving.

-If it's done more than 75,000 miles, change the spark plugs.

-When you fill 'er up, carry on till she's full (had to say it that way :cool:); this is both more efficient, and since petrol can only become more expensive, it's best to make sure you buy it whens it's cheaper.

-Replace parts with lighter ones (e.g. seats, the bonnet, etc.). Though you should get permission from your insurer first.

If all this fails, I would say you should get another car.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by IndyAM

Any reason why? It doesn't contradict what I said in any way, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why you posted it.
Reply 31
Original post by CurlyBen
Any reason why? It doesn't contradict what I said in any way, so I'm a bit puzzled as to why you posted it.

"Assuming that the engine is operating in its powerband, and throttle is between zero and 80% of travel, the slower the engine is turning, the better fuel economy will be. So upshift early--fuel economy is always best in top gear."

Hence why i said, the better fuel economy will be in 5th/6th gear.
Reply 32
Original post by IndyAM

Original post by IndyAM
"Assuming that the engine is operating in its powerband, and throttle is between zero and 80% of travel, the slower the engine is turning, the better fuel economy will be. So upshift early--fuel economy is always best in top gear."

Hence why i said, the better fuel economy will be in 5th/6th gear.

And? If the engine's labouring it's not in the power band. Driving in the highest appropriate gear is economical. However, driving in too high a gear isn't. It's not as simple as just saying use the highest gear in the gearbox, it will always be the most economic, which is what you're suggesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending