The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Is Leicester rough?

i am wondering if leicester is a dangerous city? What is leicester like? Many people love it and many other hate it!:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It don't think it's particularly 'rough'. It's just like any other city I think.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Nah it's not rough. Just don't walk through Vicky Park alone at midnight if you like your anus intact.
Reply 3
I don't think it's rough. Don't get me wrong, if you're out late at night outside the city centre then you encounter a few weirdos, but where don't you get that?
Reply 4
Original post by rose_uni08
I don't think it's rough. Don't get me wrong, if you're out late at night outside the city centre then you encounter a few weirdos, but where don't you get that?

Cambridge apparently.
Reply 5
Original post by rose_uni08

i can see your location and you mention newcastle/leicester.Have you lived in both cities? Which city do you think is better? is there a big difference between them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I prefer Newcastle personally, but i'm probably a bit biased because i'm from the North East. Newcastle has much more going on and has a nicer atmosphere in my opinion. I like Leicester too, but i'd take Newcastle any day! I have loads of friends that go to Northumbria and two of my cousins went there too, they all absolutely love it.
It's not rough. Although if you go into town after 8 I guarantee you will encounter at least 1 weird thing. Trust me I've seen/experienced some things in city centre that shock me.
Reply 8
Original post by Insanity514
It's not rough. Although if you go into town after 8 I guarantee you will encounter at least 1 weird thing. Trust me I've seen/experienced some things in city centre that shock me.

how is the area around de montfort?
I personally love Leicester, I've always felt safe there, even walking around De Montfort campus at 2am (I work at an event there in September, when there's no students around). If there's anything weird at that time, it's probably us. :P

Though there was a guy dressed as Jesus arrested.
That was odd.
Original post by greekguy

Well I go to the college right near there, It's the nicer area of Leicester, especially London road and new walk which are near the de montfort area. Some very posh houses if you go far up London road :wink:
Reply 11

That's the rough bit. So many bikes stolen from rowing it's ridiculous, and quite a few muggings too.
Reply 12
Original post by SpamBa
That's the rough bit. So many bikes stolen from rowing it's ridiculous, and quite a few muggings too.

Really? interesting!

Hi,

Im from the Leicestershire area and know Leicester quite well.

My advise regarding the area is that as long as you dont get accommodation on the council estate areas, you will be fine. I have a place at DMU and live about 30 min drive away. I had a choice between 5 unis, and have chose DMU even though it is the 2nd closest to me. The actual campus is in the city centre area so it quite built up with traffic around.

Any area these days has its negatives and as long as you are aware of whats going on around you, you should be fine.
Reply 14
I too am from Leicester and will be attending DMU from Jan 2012. Leicester is a lovely city, but like most other cities you'll need to keep your wits about you when walking around alone late at night. There are pockets of areas that are not so good.... but they tend to be well away from the campus. The only thing I would advise against in the campus area is walking alone or in very small groups along the canal after dark. I would also perhaps avoid walking through the park (the one off Western Park Boulevard) to get from campus or halls to Narborough Road area at night. Safer to walk the long way around through Braunstone Gate. Leicester is a fine city to live in and no more dangerous than any other major city.
i can see your location and you mention newcastle/leicester.Have you lived in both cities? Which city do you think is better? is there a big difference between them? I am between dmu and northumbria!

I think they're quite similar! Personally I prefer Newcastle - bigger, prettier, more to do :colondollar: but I love both. Newcastle is definitely more party orientated.
It's alright as long as you don't travel outside the centre... Places and Baunstone, Beaumont Leys, Saff Lane and the Monsell are rough... Think shameless kind rough. But places like Oadby, Enderby and the city are nice :smile:
Reply 17
I heard that Leicester had a stupid amount of immigrants.
Over 30% of the population is of asian origin, with about 10% being Polsh/Eastern EU.

I've been here over 3 years and still can't understand people.. Too many non-english here :frown:
I live in Leicester and attend DMU and haven't had many issues, I even live next to Bede park and have never had any trouble :smile:
The only issue we had was the third week and that was with other students being drunken idiots and pushing people in the street but you just learn to duck and smile.
The people are friendly and even on narbrough road where you feel like your in another country people are lovely and helpful :biggrin:
(btw i live round the corner from where the kebab shop got blown up and that was just confusing, not trouble from it at all)

Quick Reply

Latest