The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Maths_Lover

Windows. Thank you but Etoile has provided a cheaper alternative. :colondollar:

I would have suggested the phonetic keyboard on Mac OS had you not said you use Windows. All it does is map Russian letters onto the equivalent English keys so it wouldn't cost you any money! :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by und
St John's, Corpus Christi, Caius, King's. I might go to Cambridge in the Christmas holidays actually, along with a couple of other prospective Maths applicants from my school, just to explore the colleges in more detail.

What about you?

Oh nice :colone: Go to Emma and Sidney Sussex, they are both really nice! Sidney Sussex gets overlooked a bit but it makes up for it by being opposite Sainsbury's :colone:
I haven't actually been to very many because I've never been to Cambridge for university purposes :lol:

Windows. Thank you but Etoile has provided a cheaper alternative. :colondollar:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Yep! :toofunny:

I was going to learn it earlier and then I got distracted by my book. :colondollar::colondollar:

I have read an entire section, though. :u:

:hi:
I have found out how to change the settings :colone: It is weird though because you have to remember where all the letters are because they don't match up to the corresponding English ones! You go on control panel > clock, language and region > change keyboards :yep:
Ooh what book?
I was going to do some homework but I got distracted by watching Disney in Greek on youtube :colone:
Original post by und

Your school sounds awesome: we rarely do any geometry... :emo:

Do you know any good geometry books I could learn from? :smile:

Also, I decided to apply for the Mathematics with Physics option.

I am still working on narrowing down the colleges I will apply to. :sigh:
Original post by Etoile

She said you're a cheap alternative. Don't we know that to be true. :rofl::toofunny:

Spoiler

Reply 184
Original post by Coco_94
Two months. :eek:
:fuhrer: indeed. :colone:
Yes, solved, kind of. For you. :rofl:
No I haven't. :emo:
Exactly. :lol:

Two months exactly? I can't deal with being told how far away something is, I usually remember dates and fixed numbers stupidly easily though - when are you due? :lol:
:teehee:
But if it is for me then since we are the same it is also for you!
When we are all at university together we can go and I can translate :colone:
I have recovered a part of my old personality today, on the subject of religion :colone: I am who I want to be now - a total pagan hippy with touches of the best parts of Jewishness :woo: :lol:

Original post by Coco_94
She said you're a cheap alternative. Don't we know that to be true. :rofl::toofunny:

Spoiler

:colonhash:
Maybe :teehee:

You'd better :colonhash: I have love for you too :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Etoile

Original post by Etoile
Oh nice :colone: Go to Emma and Sidney Sussex, they are both really nice! Sidney Sussex gets overlooked a bit but it makes up for it by being opposite Sainsbury's :colone:
I haven't actually been to very many because I've never been to Cambridge for university purposes :lol:

Oh, I see. Cambridge is only an hour on the train from North London and I doubt it's particularly expensive so it's very accessible to people who to go my school.
Original post by Etoile
E

Clare *cough*
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I've been good thanks. I've played a lot of Skyrim, and restarted Final Fantasy 6 (one of the best RPGs ever made) today, so that's what I'll be doing for most of my time. I'm also watching a new anime called SaiKano, which I've heard is very sad at the end, so I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Good to hear and that sounds like it has been a fun day for you. :h:

Ah... that reminds me that this holiday I must finish InuYasha and Ranma 1/2. I got dabest into anime. :colone:

Original post by Coco_94
I have an essay to do tomorrow. I'll kill it like a baws. :colone:
It's on the logic and validity of the Ontological argument for the existence of God. I can have fun and kill it dead. To quote Etoile earlier. :colone:

I have only so much steam. I should have got Coffee :hugs:

How has the day been overall?

That's the spirit. :colone: OK, have fun and destroy that essay tomorrow! :mwuaha:

:hugs:

The day has been slow paced but not too much time was wasted. :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
Two months exactly? I can't deal with being told how far away something is, I usually remember dates and fixed numbers stupidly easily though - when are you due? :lol:
:teehee:
But if it is for me then since we are the same it is also for you!
When we are all at university together we can go and I can translate :colone:
I have recovered a part of my old personality today, on the subject of religion :colone: I am who I want to be now - a total pagan hippy with touches of the best parts of Jewishness :woo: :lol:

You'd better :colonhash: I have love for you too :ahee:

18th January. :teehee:
True. True. What I understand you should understand, and what you understand so should I, meaning, can you read Tractatus logico-philosophicus and get your head around it for me? :puppyeyes:
Oh if any of us end up at the same university together, how legendary that will be. You know, if any of us end up at the same one, we should be room-mates. :colone:
You should become a Naturalistic Pantheist. :moon:

Of course I do. :teehee:

That's the spirit. :colone: OK, have fun and destroy that essay tomorrow! :mwuaha:

The day has been slow paced but not too much time was wasted. :biggrin:

I will indeed. :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:

Gooooood :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190

Your school sounds awesome: we rarely do any geometry... :emo:

Do you know any good geometry books I could learn from? :smile:

Also, I decided to apply for the Mathematics with Physics option.

I am still working on narrowing down the colleges I will apply to. :sigh:

Lucky you! :biggrin:

I think 'Plane Euclidean Geometry' and 'New Problems in Euclidean Geometry' would be good if you were planning to compete in the second round of the BMO, but they're probably extremely hard to read.

'The Mathematical Olympiad Handbook' has a large range of questions and guides you through them if you get stuck. That said, it's for reference only at my school's library so I haven't been able to look at it in detail. Again, the questions are on the hard side. I'd suggest going to a library and having a look at the books on Euclidean geometry. That way you won't end up buying a book that you won't understand.

I'm still considering applying for Maths with Physics but I'm not 100% sure. What do you do in the first year for the Physics part of the course at Cambridge?

You still have absolutely ages to decide which college to apply for so don't worry about that! Besides, it doesn't really matter in the end.
Reply 191
Original post by wcp100
Clare *cough*

Clare looks very nice too- I always remember driving past Memorial Court on Queen's Road on the way into the city :moon:
Jesus is awesome too, purely because it is like five minutes' walk from my old house :smug:

Original post by und
Oh, I see. Cambridge is only an hour on the train from North London and I doubt it's particularly expensive so it's very accessible to people who to go my school.

Really? I never realised it was that close to London! It is about 3.5 hours' drive from Hampshire (compared to one hour to Oxford) but that has never stopped us :lol: How many people from your school are looking at it?
Reply 192
Original post by Etoile

Original post by Etoile
Clare looks very nice too- I always remember driving past Memorial Court on Queen's Road on the way into the city :moon:
Jesus is awesome too, purely because it is like five minutes' walk from my old house :smug:

Really? I never realised it was that close to London! It is about 3.5 hours' drive from Hampshire (compared to one hour to Oxford) but that has never stopped us :lol: How many people from your school are looking at it?

There are currently about 25 who are considering Mathematics at university, perhaps 5 of whom could realistically apply to Cambridge with a good chance of getting in. Also, the fact that around 150 out of 250 people in the year turned up to a lunchtime lecture about applying to Oxbridge given by a Corpus Christi admissions tutor kind of speaks for itself. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by Coco_94
18th January. :teehee:
True. True. What I understand you should understand, and what you understand so should I, meaning, can you read Tractatus logico-philosophicus and get your head around it for me? :puppyeyes:
Oh if any of us end up at the same university together, how legendary that will be. You know, if any of us end up at the same one, we should be room-mates. :colone:
You should become a Naturalistic Pantheist. :moon:

Of course I do. :teehee:

That is 9 days before my sister and 29 days before me and 1 month before Regina! :awesome:
Sure, if you will read and understand Das Brot der frühen Jahre for me :nooo:
Puppy eyes don't work on me either :smug:

Spoiler

It would be amazing :rofl:
Okey, and then I might actually get up during daylight hours :lol:
I am a panentheist, close enough!

:rofl:
That reminds me of this: http://tumblr4men.tumblr.com/
Reply 194
Original post by und
There are currently about 25 who are considering Mathematics at university, perhaps 5 of whom could realistically apply to Cambridge with a good chance of getting in. Also, the fact that around 150 out of 250 people in the year turned up to a lunchtime lecture given by a Corpus Christi admissions tutor kind of speaks for itself. :biggrin:

Wow :zomg: Do you go to a grammar school?
Original post by und
I would have suggested the phonetic keyboard on Mac OS had you not said you use Windows. All it does is map Russian letters onto the equivalent English keys so it wouldn't cost you any money! :wink:

Oh, I see. :colondollar: Damn.

Original post by Etoile

:hi:
I have found out how to change the settings :colone: It is weird though because you have to remember where all the letters are because they don't match up to the corresponding English ones! You go on control panel > clock, language and region > change keyboards :yep:
Ooh what book?
I was going to do some homework but I got distracted by watching Disney in Greek on youtube :colone:

I fail at multitasking - I am far too easily distracted by one thing or another to do many things simultaneously. :emo:

Oooh! I shall try it! :colone: :colone: Thanks. :h:

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You by Marcus Chown. :ahee:

That is a rather awesome distraction! :awesome:

Aha, I am typing in Ennglish here and also in French to you on Facebook, in which the language is set to Kiswahili, while trying to learn cyrillic. :teehee:

So many languages, not enough time. :colonhash:
Original post by Etoile
That is 9 days before my sister and 29 days before me and 1 month before Regina! :awesome:
Sure, if you will read and understand Das Brot der frühen Jahre for me :nooo:
Puppy eyes don't work on me either :smug:

Spoiler

It would be amazing :rofl:
Okey, and then I might actually get up during daylight hours :lol:
I am a panentheist, close enough!

:rofl:
That reminds me of this: http://tumblr4men.tumblr.com/

Yes. :awesome:
I fear my mind would explode at this stage. :emo:
Mwahahaha.

Spoiler

It really would be. :rofl:
Yes you probably would :lol:. You'd hear clicking from Cubes, or George going through clothes, Njeri's pencil burning up from the speed it's going, or me boiling a Kettle and watching the News. :teehee:

Spoiler

I used to be a Naturalistic Pantheist actually...:moon:

:rofl:!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Coco_94

I will indeed. :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:

Gooooood :biggrin:

Goooooooood. :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:

Yep. :grin:

Original post by und
Lucky you! :biggrin:

I think 'Plane Euclidean Geometry' and 'New Problems in Euclidean Geometry' would be good if you were planning to compete in the second round of the BMO, but they're probably extremely hard to read.

'The Mathematical Olympiad Handbook' has a large range of questions and guides you through them if you get stuck. That said, it's for reference only at my school's library so I haven't been able to look at it in detail. Again, the questions are on the hard side. I'd suggest going to a library and having a look at the books on Euclidean geometry. That way you won't end up buying a book that you won't understand.

I'm still considering applying for Maths with Physics but I'm not 100% sure. What do you do in the first year for the Physics part of the course at Cambridge?

You still have absolutely ages to decide which college to apply for so don't worry about that! Besides, it doesn't really matter in the end.

I want to do geometry. :cry2: I have become so appaling at it! :emo:

Woah! Thanks for the information! I will certainly have a look around. :biggrin:

I am getting used to the wording of that Number Theory book - I shall continue where I left off a while ago soon. :moon: How is it going for you? :smile:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/mathswithphysics.pdf

Yeah, I guess. :lol:

Original post by und
There are currently about 25 who are considering Mathematics at university, perhaps 5 of whom could realistically apply to Cambridge with a good chance of getting in. Also, the fact that around 150 out of 250 people in the year turned up to a lunchtime lecture about applying to Oxbridge given by a Corpus Christi admissions tutor kind of speaks for itself. :biggrin:

Say whuuut?! :lolwut:

Damn... :afraid: Ze competition is fierce. :afraid:
Reply 198
Original post by Etoile

Original post by Etoile
Wow :zomg: Do you go to a grammar school?

Yes, though the number of people getting into Oxbridge has declined steadily in the last five years from ~45 to ~25.
Reply 199

I want to do geometry. :cry2: I have become so appaling at it! :emo:

Woah! Thanks for the information! I will certainly have a look around. :biggrin:

I am getting used to the wording of that Number Theory book - I shall continue where I left off a while ago soon. :moon: How is it going for you? :smile:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/mathswithphysics.pdf

Yeah, I guess. :lol:

Haha, that book! :rofl: Erm... I kind of read the first few pages and thought "this isn't for me" before putting the book down and never picking it up again! How far did you manage to get with it?

I shall have a look at that pdf file shortly. Thanks for the link. :smile:

Latest