The Student Room Group

I have a flat head at the back.. despirate for help how to hide it ?

Hey i would put this on the hairstyles sub forum but i need anon its really embarrasing

When i was born ive always had a flat head... It does not curve as much as it should and the back of my head is kinda longish. A few people have said it is flat and called me a square head and i thought that i should grow my hair longer to hide it. I need some ideas for hairstyles. Would longer hair on the back hide the longeness of skull and flatness.. How long should it be eg 4inch etc ?

Im a male btw
Reply 1
They'll probably just call you mudflap or mullett if you do.
It used to be considered very masculine to have a flat back of your head... E.g. The original superman cartoons and tough guy actors like James Garner.
They're probably just jealous cos they've got baby heads.
Reply 2
Didn't this thread do the rounds a few months ago? I'm gonna call troll here.
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup

Original post by Joinedup
They'll probably just call you mudflap or mullett if you do.
It used to be considered very masculine to have a flat back of your head... E.g. The original superman cartoons and tough guy actors like James Garner.
They're probably just jealous cos they've got baby heads.

i dunno :/
Original post by moonkatt
Didn't this thread do the rounds a few months ago? I'm gonna call troll here.

Yh but nobody replied... call me troll if u wanna but i aint
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey i would put this on the hairstyles sub forum but i need anon its really embarrasing

When i was born ive always had a flat head... It does not curve as much as it should and the back of my head is kinda longish. A few people have said it is flat and called me a square head and i thought that i should grow my hair longer to hide it. I need some ideas for hairstyles. Would longer hair on the back hide the longeness of skull and flatness.. How long should it be eg 4inch etc ?

Im a male btw

I don't think your head shape matters too much but if you really wanted to hide it then you need to go for a hairstyle that has some body in the back i.e. it isn't just lying against your head. Maybe get it spiked up or have some layers put in to boost the body of hair. That way you won't be able to see whether your head is flat or not, your hair will add curvature.

The best thing to do is to go to a unisex hairdressers, I find they're better at dealing with hairstyles that doesn't involve very short hair and a shaver. Hairdressers who are used to styling men and women will be able to give you good advice on getting layers put in, how to style it at home etc. I'd also say go to the best one that you can afford for the first time then to a cheaper one to maintain the style.
Reply 5

Original post by Espa
I don't think your head shape matters too much but if you really wanted to hide it then you need to go for a hairstyle that has some body in the back i.e. it isn't just lying against your head. Maybe get it spiked up or have some layers put in to boost the body of hair. That way you won't be able to see whether your head is flat or not, your hair will add curvature.

The best thing to do is to go to a unisex hairdressers, I find they're better at dealing with hairstyles that doesn't involve very short hair and a shaver. Hairdressers who are used to styling men and women will be able to give you good advice on getting layers put in, how to style it at home etc. I'd also say go to the best one that you can afford for the first time then to a cheaper one to maintain the style.

Cheers mate .. Normally i have it spiked all over to hide it but its too long atm and im trying to grow my hair and my hair does not stay up.. spiked hair does not suit me tbh... im trying to add volume on the back.. atm its like 2 inches long and i need it to be like 4.. but since i have grown it then it has become less noticeable
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers mate .. Normally i have it spiked all over to hide it but its too long atm and im trying to grow my hair and my hair does not stay up.. spiked hair does not suit me tbh... im trying to add volume on the back.. atm its like 2 inches long and i need it to be like 4.. but since i have grown it then it has become less noticeable

I wouldn't worry too much in the mean time. It's probably that one person noticed, took the mick and saw it got a reaction, they're probably goading you for that more than because they find your head shape funny. Plus, the more you focus on these things the worse they seem, most other people probably don't even notice. But yeah, when it's long enough, hair can work miracles for odd head shapes. I have a dent from an accident when I was little but I'm a girl so my hair's always been long enough to hide it :wink:
Reply 7
Wear a hat.
Reply 8

Original post by Espa
I wouldn't worry too much in the mean time. It's probably that one person noticed, took the mick and saw it got a reaction, they're probably goading you for that more than because they find your head shape funny. Plus, the more you focus on these things the worse they seem, most other people probably don't even notice. But yeah, when it's long enough, hair can work miracles for odd head shapes. I have a dent from an accident when I was little but I'm a girl so my hair's always been long enough to hide it :wink:

i didnt notice it until someone told me about it and since the summer ive been freeking out about it..
Actually it might be a blessing in discuise.. ive had to change my hairstyle a bit and i think i look better from when it was shorter... the chicks will love it :wink: So longer hair makes me look better and covers my flat head :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hey, at least your head doesn't look like this...

(Yes, it's real)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mequa

Original post by Mequa
Hey, at least your head doesn't look like this...

(Yes, it's real)

Nah nothin like it haha
Hiii, for hiding just straighten your hair and spikehair from front and add volume from back and tell stylist to. Make. Your shape right from back
Reply 12
Tell me about it, I have a very flat head shape, I always covered my head shape with long hair,and I always hided and never wanted to my girlfriend know about my head shape, but I was sick of it one day ,so I decided to shave it all off , and when my girlfriend see my head shape for the first time , she split up with next day !
Hi mate hope u can see this. A great way of dealing with this is buying a product most supermarkets sell. It’s Fairly cheap too compared to a lot of hair products on the market at the moment. It’s called a bag, will hide your big fat head no problem, and if it doesn’t fit they might even sell a bigger one for you
I have a similar problem. Just grow your hair out from sides and back. When you wake up style you hair and rub your hand through the flat part to get the hairs to stand up. When you sleep on your back the hairs tend to be flat so it appears worse in the day. Doing this will make it less noticeable.

Quick Reply

Latest