The Student Room Group

Hong Kong Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragon_knight

hk ppl are very hardworking, but the admision officers in hk are just exceptionally lazy :frown:
yeah i am a reapplicant but using a different scheme. so basically i'll not be competiting with u :smile:

oohkayy!
Original post by aysha.19
Worst Admissions Services staff. Ever!

Original post by ExplorerMF
Tell me about it! I've sent them several e-mails and haven't received any replies! :s-smilie:

You should just call them :tongue: From my experience last year, the only way to get them to reply to an email is to ring them up the day after sending it and confirm with them that it was received. Or else, they're most likely just going to ignore your emails, however many more you send.
Original post by Interpretation

Original post by Interpretation
You should just call them :tongue: From my experience last year, the only way to get them to reply to an email is to ring them up the day after sending it and confirm with them that it was received. Or else, they're most likely just going to ignore your emails, however many more you send.

Actually, they do reply back to my mails but they always copy-paste the text that is on their website instead of any special, direct response.
Anyone at Hong Kong University now doing study abroad? How are you finding it? Anyone else applying for study abroad at HKU?
If you get an offer and you place a deposit, is it true that it is non-refundable unless you failed to meet the conditions? :/ kinda don't wanna risk losing the money if i get an offer from a good unis in the UK...
Original post by chr1stopher11
Anyone at Hong Kong University now doing study abroad? How are you finding it? Anyone else applying for study abroad at HKU?

I'm going to apply for the exchange program :smile:
lol sorry for the long passage. just feel free to post your questions and concerns regarding HKU CUHK HKUST PolyU CityU or whatever. see if i could answer your questions :biggrin:

hi there, i've applied to hku fast track this year and i havent heard anything yet:frown: i am getting worried, when did you get your offer?

i applied for economics, i'm doing the alevels in China and since i have a canadian passport i think i am classified as a international applicant, would it be harder for international applicants to get into hku?

Also ,is competition for Economics fierce at HKU? do you think i have a chance of getting it with 5a*4as in IGCSE and 3As in AS as well as an A in Alevel math (didn't manage to get the A*:frown::frown::frown::frown:)
Thanks very much!
Original post by coffeeortea
hi there, i've applied to hku fast track this year and i havent heard anything yet:frown: i am getting worried, when did you get your offer?

i applied for economics, i'm doing the alevels in China and since i have a canadian passport i think i am classified as a international applicant, would it be harder for international applicants to get into hku?

Also ,is competition for Economics fierce at HKU? do you think i have a chance of getting it with 5a*4as in IGCSE and 3As in AS as well as an A in Alevel math (didn't manage to get the A*:frown::frown::frown::frown:)
Thanks very much!

hi there! fast-track gives our offers / rejections latest before the end of this year. so if u are to be invited for interview, u should hear from hku already for interview. if u dont, dont panic. fast-track is only for those who are very outstanding in academics and if u are not offered in fast-track, u will be considered as normal non-JUPAS. next round interview start in feb 2012.

in conclusion, no offers via fast-track just mean that there are ppl more competitive than u. it does not mean that u are rejected. and if u feel worried, i suggest u to ring them up (dont send them email. they reply earliest after 2 weeks! )

your international identity does not affect your competitiveness against local non-JUPAS ppl. u are only slightly disadvantageous than JUPAS ppl because most HKU courses allocates a larger proportion of places to local JUPAS ppl (around 60-70%) and relatively fewer for non-JUPAS (20-30%).

yes the competition for every course in HKU is fierce. i could not comment on your chance of admission but it seems to be a not bad academic portfolio.

there are many economics degree. which did u apply for? :biggrin:
Any progress for any HKU Applicant 2012?
Original post by aysha.19
Any progress for any HKU Applicant 2012?

Nope, I wish I'd applied for fast-track now, this wait is killing me D:

Does anyone know what the likelihood of having an interview is? Do they interview for every subject?
You should be expecting to wait a lot longer... fast track applicants have to wait from mid December; normal applications from mid february ONWARDS. :frown: But i guess a good news is application status tracking will be available soon!! :smile:
Original post by coffeeortea

Thanks very much!

Economics is very fierce unfortunately for us!! I saw on TVB news that it's one of THE most competitive courses (i think like around 20,000 local applicants applying for econ). BTW i am economics applicant too :smile:

You say you have a canadian passport but do oyu have HKID too? Cos if you do you will be non jupas :smile: otherwise yes you are international. I would think that the uni would have a quota for intl's. But don't worry!! Your academics are really good and this year there are double the places because of the education reform (someone correct me if i'm wrong!!)
Original post by rainbowmagpie

Nope, I wish I'd applied for fast-track now, this wait is killing me D:

Does anyone know what the likelihood of having an interview is? Do they interview for every subject?

People who applied for fast-track haven't heard anything either, so I guess it ok to through the normal track :tongue:

My friend, who has a HKID got interviewed by HKUST, if that counts...
Original post by 21Grapes
You should be expecting to wait a lot longer... fast track applicants have to wait from mid December; normal applications from mid february ONWARDS. :frown: But i guess a good news is application status tracking will be available soon!! :smile:

Economics is very fierce unfortunately for us!! I saw on TVB news that it's one of THE most competitive courses (i think like around 20,000 local applicants applying for econ). BTW i am economics applicant too :smile:

You say you have a canadian passport but do oyu have HKID too? Cos if you do you will be non jupas :smile: otherwise yes you are international. I would think that the uni would have a quota for intl's. But don't worry!! Your academics are really good and this year there are double the places because of the education reform (someone correct me if i'm wrong!!)

i dont have a hkid,so i guess i am an international applicant!
thanks and good luck to you !
also, i heard that we are able to track our applications by tomorrow?:smile:
Yeah status tracking goes online tomorrow :smile:

Yeah status tracking goes online tomorrow :smile:

I HOPE!!!
College applications can be REALLY frustrating!
.. Turns out application tracking is for fast-track applicants (for now) =____='' more waiting for me then!!
.. Turns out application tracking is for fast-track applicants (for now) =____='' more waiting for me then!!

:biggrin:
I had the same reaction! lol
You can still log on to that application tracking thing but it just says 'under consideration' and will probably say that for a long time D:
Reply 178
You can still log on to that application tracking thing but it just says 'under consideration' and will probably say that for a long time D:

Yep. Mine was like that till late Jan last year.

- shameless plug -

Vote for a fellow HK-er in International Member of the Year!!! :tongue:
Original post by Vulpes
Yep. Mine was like that till late Jan last year.

- shameless plug -

Vote for a fellow HK-er in International Member of the Year!!! :tongue:

lol, it says I'm unable to vote though :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending