The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* at A-Level?

Any tips would be appreciated.
I'm currently only doing AS, but I need an A* in either Maths or Physics at A2.
Thanks.

EDIT: What about physics? How easy is it to get A* in that?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Work hard.
Reply 2
Original post by AldrousHuxley
Work hard.

That's very true. But in terms of UMS, you need 90% in your A2 units and 80% overall (AS+A2) generally speaking :smile:
Original post by EmmaJane_

Thanks.

Well, most people say you need to get an A at AS level to then get an A* at alevel, but my friend got a B at AS level english and then got A* at alevel...so it is still possible, you just need to get at least 80% in both papers in A level...and also work hard!!:smile: good luck!:smile:
Cheat in the exam
Reply 5
Don't remember the topics in the course, as most people do, KNOW the topics, there's a difference. If you know the stuff you can answer any question thrown at you. Worked for me with Maths.
Reply 6
If you are born brilliant than work hard so you can get that much but if you are born dumb than its impossible for you.
Original post by someone57
That's very true. But in terms of UMS, you need 90% in your A2 units and 80% overall (AS+A2) generally speaking :smile:

Yeah... thats not true. My brother got a C in AS History, and got an A* overall :smile:

Edit - I'm sorry that I misunderstood what this person was saying. I thought they meant 80% for AS and 80% for A2. :/
(edited 12 years ago)
I think you need around 90% UMS in your A2 modules, and perhaps 80% in modules overall from AS and A2. Make sure you work hard and always go that little bit further in your understanding.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
90UMS or above on average in your A2 modules and 80 UMS average over the two years.

This means that you can get only 70UMS in AS, and then get say 90 or above in A2 and still get an A*
A combination of being intelligent and actually studying.
Reply 11
Thanks.

What are you going to apply for, may I ask?

It's certainly really easy to get an A* in maths at A-level, so you shouldn't worry too much.

In my view, it doesn't depend so much on ability, but more on your work ethic and desire to achieve. If you enjoy your subjects, you will find it much easier to get the top grades.

You will need to get A grades at AS and then average 90 UMS in your A2 modules.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks.

you need 90 ums marks in a2 and 90 ums marks in as...
Original post by coolcat2727
you need 90 ums marks in a2 and 90 ums marks in as...

Original post by ConnorB
90% in Your AS AND A2

eg if you get 100% in AS and 89% in A2. It's still an A

Rather annoying but it is regarded rather highly! :smile:

Like I said. This isn't true. My brother got a C in AS History, and an A* overall :P and didn't retake any of his History modules. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ConnorB
90% in Your AS AND A2

eg if you get 100% in AS and 89% in A2. It's still an A

Rather annoying but it is regarded rather highly! :smile:

Nah - if you got 89% in your AS and 100% in your A2 you'd still get the A*. What you need is an 80 UMS overall in the A level with 90 UMS at A2.
EDIT: So if you got 75 UMS at AS and 100 UMS at A2 then you'd get an A* in that subject.
Reply 15
You need to make sure you do well at AS so there's no need to retake so you have plenty of time to work at getting 90% at A2.
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Like I said. This isn't true. My brother got a C in AS History, and an A* overall :P and didn't retake any of his History modules. :biggrin:

How is that possible?
How is that possible?

Not too sure myself.....
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Not too sure myself.....

it's not possible... becuase you need high a's... if it was that easy everybody would be getting a*z do you not think?
How is that possible?

I don't know. But he managed to do it! He now does English at Exeter. But yeah, the night before results, my parents said to him how he probably won't get an A, but then found out he got an A*. He must have gotten really high marks in his A2, almost 100%.

Quick Reply

Latest