The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* at A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coolcat2727
I thought she said he didnt do any resits... but i think the uniform marks are higher in history

no they are not higher. They may get pushed up in relation to raw marks depending on the performance of everyone. How can they be higher?
Original post by rugbyladosc
no they are not higher. They may get pushed up in relation to raw marks depending on the performance of everyone. How can they be higher?

i dont know..thats what some people said
You can get a C at AS level and still get an A* overall at A2. If you get a top C (60% UMS) at AS level and then get 100% at A2 you will get an A* overall.
Original post by coolcat2727
i dont know..thats what some people said

Well it's not true. UMS is always the same
80% overall = A
70% overall = B
60% overall = C
50% overall = D
40% overall = E
<40% overall = U

For A* it is a little different as you just need an A overall REGARDLESS OF AS and then 90 UMS in A2 units. For maths it's a little different though.

please someone correct me if i'm wrong because I always though UMS grade boundaries were the same across all subjects
(edited 12 years ago)

80% overall = A
70% overall = B
60% overall = C
50% overall = D
40% overall = E
&lt;40% overall = U

For A* it is a little different as you just need an A overall REGARDLESS OF AS and then 90 UMS in A2 units. For maths it's a little different though.

please someone correct me if i'm wrong because I always though UMS grade boundaries were the same across all subjects

Yeah, UMS grade boundaries are the same for all subjects.
Reply 45
Get of the student room and go do some work would be a good start perhaps.
80% overall = A
70% overall = B
60% overall = C
50% overall = D
40% overall = E
<40% overall = U

thankyou:smile:
Original post by Kalliope
Nah - if you got 89% in your AS and 100% in your A2 you'd still get the A*. What you need is an 80 UMS overall in the A level with 90 UMS at A2.
EDIT: So if you got 75 UMS at AS and 100 UMS at A2 then you'd get an A* in that subject.

Ahh :tongue: that makes sense :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Yeah... thats not true. My brother got a C in AS History, and got an A* overall :wink:

Edit - I got a neg for stating my brothers A level results... o_0 :L

Wow, fair play to him!
Yeah... thats not true. My brother got a C in AS History, and got an A* overall :wink:

No, YOU'RE wrong. You must have 80% overall (AS+A2) then at least 90% in A2. So if your brother got a C, and say 65%, he must've got at least 95% to average 80% to get the A*. I didn't neg you but when you try to say someone else is wrong in a cocky way and end up being wrong I can understand why people would neg you.
Getting As at AS wud be an excellent start.

no you got negged because you're talking bull. you need 80% overall to get an A*. that is true for all exam boards at a-level.
Original post by hassi94
No, YOU'RE wrong. You must have 80% overall (AS+A2) then at least 90% in A2. So if your brother got a C, and say 65%, he must've got at least 95% to average 80% to get the A*. I didn't neg you but when you try to say someone else is wrong in a cocky way and end up being wrong I can understand why people would neg you.

Original post by vedderfan94
no you got negged because you're talking bull. you need 80% overall to get an A*. that is true for all exam boards at a-level.

I am honestly not talking bull. and I am sorry if I did mean to seem cocky :s-smilie: You need 80% overall to get an A, as well as 90+% in your A2 units. My brother got a top C in his AS History, and must have got pretty much 100% UMS needed for an A*.

I'm sorry if I am sounding cocky :s-smilie: I am just stating. I mentioned earlier how AS's are more about predicting A*s and general predicted grades, sure, they give you a good head start for A2 modules, but A2 modules are the only modules that actually count towards the A* :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Make sure your Dad went to Oxbridge
Reply 54
Original post by Dr A
What are you going to apply for, may I ask?

It's certainly really easy to get an A* in maths at A-level, so you shouldn't worry too much.

In my view, it doesn't depend so much on ability, but more on your work ethic and desire to achieve. If you enjoy your subjects, you will find it much easier to get the top grades.

You will need to get A grades at AS and then average 90 UMS in your A2 modules.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I'm hoping to apply for either physics or physics w/ astrophysics at Manchester Uni, which requires A*AA to include physics and maths.
Other universities offer physics with lower entry requirements (AAB) but I'm absolutely dying to go to Manchester!
I am honestly not talking bull. and I am sorry if I did mean to seem cocky :s-smilie: You need 80% overall to get an A, as well as 90+% in your A2 units. My brother got a top C in his AS History, and must have got pretty much 100% UMS needed for an A*.

I'm sorry if I am sounding cocky :s-smilie: I am just stating. I mentioned earlier how AS's are more about predicting A*s and general predicted grades, sure, they give you a good head start for A2 modules, but A2 modules are the only modules that actually count towards the A* :/

The point is you said that this is not true:

Original post by someone57
That's very true. But in terms of UMS, you need 90% in your A2 units and 80% overall (AS+A2) generally speaking :smile:

Which is true. You saying your brother got a C at AS and still got an A* did NOT prove that someone57 was wrong.
Original post by hassi94
The point is you said that this is not true:

Which is true. You saying your brother got a C at AS and still got an A* did NOT prove that someone57 was wrong.

I'm sorry, I must have misread his comment, as you needed 80% in AS and A2 separately. I am sorry for misunderstanding what he said :/.
To get an A* in Maths, you need to know every single topic very well, so do any questions you can get your hands on. After that, do as many past papers as you possibly can.
Reply 58
Get a really good tutor and hope for the best.
Reply 59
Original post by Yaya_abukar
Cheat in the exam

Cheating is not really going to get you anywhere. It will only backfire.

Quick Reply

Latest