The Student Room Group

The Portuguese Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Olá! :smile:

I'll be learning Brazilian Portuguese at uni but I haven't really started yet apart from learning a few basic phrases and words. However, I'm supposed to be getting some software and books for Christmas, so hopefully I'll be able to converse at least on a very basic level in a few months.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Deceiver
Olá! :smile:

I'll be learning Brazilian Portuguese at uni but I haven't really started yet apart from learning a few basic phrases and words. However, I'm supposed to be getting some software and books for Christmas, so hopefully I'll be able to converse at least on a very basic level in a few months.

Oi, como vai?

I'm around the same level as you I think! We've been put on a fast track beginners programme at uni, so it feels as though we've skipped the vocab and gone straight to the grammar! I'm trying to fill in the gaps myself! Just out of interest, why are you interested in learning Portuguese? :smile:

Feliz Natal!
Reply 22
Hi everyone!

I am brazilian and would be more than happy to answer any question regarding the portuguese language or Brazil :smile:
Reply 23
Why are you guys learning Brazilian Portuguese?! :frown:

"Portuguese portuguese" is so much better and much more instresting!

It's like the american english and the british english.... American english and brazilian portuguese have lots of "not so correct expressions" and sound terribly cheesy!!!!

Being you guys from Europe, what's the point?!

:merryxmas:
Original post by jmfc
Why are you guys learning Brazilian Portuguese?! :frown:

"Portuguese portuguese" is so much better and much more instresting!

It's like the american english and the british english.... American english and brazilian portuguese have lots of "not so correct expressions" and sound terribly cheesy!!!!

Being you guys from Europe, what's the point?!

:merryxmas:

I have family in Brazil! Also, because I learn Spanish, I wanted something that wasn't too similar. I prefer the sound of Brazilian portuguese :redface:
Original post by Guieng09
Hi everyone!

I am brazilian and would be more than happy to answer any question regarding the portuguese language or Brazil :smile:

Obrigada!
Como vai?
Reply 26
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
I have family in Brazil! Also, because I learn Spanish, I wanted something that wasn't too similar. I prefer the sound of Brazilian portuguese :redface:

Whoever told you portuguese and spanish are "too similar", fooled you big time. :tongue:

If you prefer the sound of the brazilian portuguese, you should also prefer the sound of american english? Honestly, this comparison is really fair (with the difference that americans don't attempt to kill grammar all the time, like the brazilian speakers)! Don't mean to offend anyone or any culture, I am talking purely about grammar!
Reply 27
Não tenho amigos brasileiros :frown: mas estou aprendendo :smile:

May I ask... por que você está interessada em aprender? :smile:

Eu não falo Português muito também, mas eu praticarei :biggrin:
Reply 28

Obrigada!
Como vai?

Vou bem, obrigado!

Original post by jmfc
Whoever told you portuguese and spanish are "too similar", fooled you big time. :tongue:

If you prefer the sound of the brazilian portuguese, you should also prefer the sound of american english? Honestly, this comparison is really fair (with the difference that americans don't attempt to kill grammar all the time, like the brazilian speakers)! Don't mean to offend anyone or any culture, I am talking purely about grammar!

Portuguese and spanish is similar. It's easy for a portuguese speaking person to understand both spoken and written spanish. In fact, brazilians and people from other south american countries communicate with each other perfectly well.

Also, what makes you think brazilians attempt to kill grammar all the time?
Original post by jmfc

Perhaps Guieng09 can confirm this for me here, but Brazilian/European Portuguese is nothing like American/British English dichotomy. Many Brazilians can't understand European Portuguese speakers to a much greater extent than Americans and British people can't understand each other.

If you know anything about linguistics, then you understand that there's no such thing as 'killing grammar'. They are just changing the language naturally to suit their own needs which is how languages evolve.

And about the Spanish/Portuguese thing, again as Guieng09 said, many Brazilians can understand Spanish just because they are Portuguese speakers. Listening to speakers might bring problems, but I'm guessing most literate Portuguese speakers could read Spanish fluently.

On a seperate note, I'm learning Brazilian Portuguese because my fiancée is Brazilian. She'll be moving to UK, but hopefully we'll go back to Brazil often.
Reply 30
Original post by Guieng09
Vou bem, obrigado!

Portuguese and spanish is similar. It's easy for a portuguese speaking person to understand both spoken and written spanish. In fact, brazilians and people from other south american countries communicate with each other perfectly well.

Also, what makes you think brazilians attempt to kill grammar all the time?

I am portuguese, lived in Potugal almost all my life and also have been to Spain several times. Is that enough?

Or perhaps you know better than me? It is easy for a portuguese person to understand spanish, yeah, in VERY SIMPLE words and sentences. If you think that if you speak spanish you speak portuguese, you are really wrong and I seriously doubt you were taught spanish well in the first place.

Anyway, if you don't want to learn portuguese because you think it's too similar to spanish, than why are you doing it anyway? Or perhaps you think that brazilian portuguese and portuguese portuguese are two different languages?! OMG...

Answering your last question, brazilians do ignore grammatical rules big time all the time, because in Brazil it is ok to make up verbs and words and it's ok to say something like "we come with us now" when you're actually talking to one person only and therefore should say "will you come with us"?

There is only one Portuguese language! Then there are several different accents and styles, the most known are the portuguese and brazilian ones but there are others! Only a few words are different, the language and grammar is the same, the latter just happens to be disregared in Brazil. And of course, the accent is very different. Someone that has learnt portuguese from Portugal cannot bear to read a brazilian book without spoting several grammatical mistakes, than even writers make in Brazil. It's a shame, really.
Reply 31
Original post by Minimalist__
Perhaps Guieng09 can confirm this for me here, but Brazilian/European Portuguese is nothing like American/British English dichotomy. Many Brazilians can't understand European Portuguese speakers to a much greater extent than Americans and British people can't understand each other.

If you know anything about linguistics, then you understand that there's no such thing as 'killing grammar'. They are just changing the language naturally to suit their own needs which is how languages evolve.

And about the Spanish/Portuguese thing, again as Guieng09 said, many Brazilians can understand Spanish just because they are Portuguese speakers. Listening to speakers might bring problems, but I'm guessing most literate Portuguese speakers could read Spanish fluently.

On a seperate note, I'm learning Brazilian Portuguese because my fiancée is Brazilian. She'll be moving to UK, but hopefully we'll go back to Brazil often.

You are learning portuguese, I have spoken it since I learnt to talk.... You really have no idea what I mean when I say "killing grammar".

My word, it was a mistake to post in a place where no one knows a sh... about portuguese but everyone claims to know a lot.

I am out, now... Excuse me!
Reply 32
If any of you needs any help with portuguese, feel free to ask... I'm a native speaker....

But those of you that before knowing I am portuguese, claimed I didn't know what I was talking about, will be doing me a favour if you don't contact me. Keep on enjoying your make believe world where everything is like you imagine and everyone that says otherwise is a loser.

Merry Christmas!
Reply 33
Original post by Minimalist__

I completely agree!

@jmfc

Your views are so arrogant and idiotic that I won't lose my time explaining to you why you're wrong.

Merry Christmas :smile:
I'd like to learn European Portuguese to at least a level of confidence. The reason being that I went to Portugal some six years back and have really followed Portuguese football ever since(Carrega Benfica!!!) however the albeit excellent English language resources(there are only 3) are few and far between. Also I'd love to be able to actually understand ABola :tongue:

Anyway, what are the best free resources for informally learning Euro-Portuguese?
Reply 35
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I'd like to learn European Portuguese to at least a level of confidence. The reason being that I went to Portugal some six years back and have really followed Portuguese football ever since(Carrega Benfica!!!) however the albeit excellent English language resources(there are only 3) are few and far between. Also I'd love to be able to actually understand ABola :tongue:

Anyway, what are the best free resources for informally learning Euro-Portuguese?

Hello there!

I don't know about any website, but I can help you with anything you need. I am a native speaker and so feel free to ask! :smile: About the free resources all I can do is, in the event of you finding one, I can check it out and give you my opinion. Can't do much else. Portuguese is a difficult but very rich language, so it's really great to see that you guys are interested in learning it! :smile:

If you learn languages, the world is your oyster! :biggrin:

If you happen to spot an interesting in "A Bola", say so and I might translate it to you. :tongue:

Do you know what "A Bola" means? :smile:
Original post by emilym94
May I ask... por que você está interessada em aprender? :smile:

Eu não falo Português muito também, mas eu praticarei :biggrin:

Estudo Português porque eu tenho familia do Brasil! :biggrin:
Quero ir! Eu gosto da musica, cultura e historia também...

e você? :smile:
Original post by jmfc
Hello there!

I don't know about any website, but I can help you with anything you need. I am a native speaker and so feel free to ask! :smile: About the free resources all I can do is, in the event of you finding one, I can check it out and give you my opinion. Can't do much else. Portuguese is a difficult but very rich language, so it's really great to see that you guys are interested in learning it! :smile:

If you learn languages, the world is your oyster! :biggrin:

If you happen to spot an interesting in "A Bola", say so and I might translate it to you. :tongue:

Do you know what "A Bola" means? :smile:
A ball?
Reply 38
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
A ball?

It means literally means "The Ball". :smile: But this word can also be used to refer to football. "I am going to watch "a bola"", means "I am going to watch the football match!" :wink:
Reply 39
Yay, glad the thread has got moving again! I think I'm a bit behind the other 'beginners' in the thread as I've literally JUST started learning so my vocab is essentially non-existent but glad to have somewhere to help me learn!

Has anyone found any good online resources? I'm really keen on ensuring my ability to speak and understand is solid as I learnt french for many years and got to the point where I could read french pretty well, write it ok, but barely understand it spoken at any decent speed, so hoping to avoid that happening again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending