The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2012

Scroll to see replies

Well, looks like I'm not going to be with anyone I know, even if it is just through an online forum ;_; Oh well~
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 141
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Well, looks like I'm not going to be with anyone I know, even if it is just through an online forum ;_; Oh well~

I am sure there will be people there you can say hey to! Can you not change the date now? Or is it fixed now? /: :frown:
I can change the date by calling them up according to the confirmation email. But since my mum works in a school, I live all the way down here in Devon and we're not exactly well off so my mum would rather not miss a day of pay, it's most practical for me to go to the February date because it's Half Term.

Oh well, I'm so awkward and shy I'd probably be too scared to say hi to any of you anyway :tongue:
Reply 143
Hey, I've applied to chinese studies but im going to the open day on the 15th of Feb aswell :smile:

Hoping its possible to take some optional modules in korean, does anyone know if its possible?
I know you can take some in Japanese but it doesnt say anywhere about optional modules in korean :s
I imagine you can do Korean history and stuff, but as for the language itself I'm not sure. Although I think I remember when I was talking to a Korean Studies student about the course when I was still trying to decide he was talking about how I could take Korean modules in the later years if I did Japanese Studies, so maybe you can.

Yay! Finally someone else going to the February date!
Reply 145
Hahaha, yeah, I'm rather shy too XD It'd be rather funny hehehe. I'm going to get the date for the march one, do we miss College for that?!
Finally got a Conditional for Japanese Studies for AAB. I think it's safe to say I'll be going for the ABB Korean Studies single and dual offers :3
Kim Jong Il is dead! Things could start getting interesting on the Korean peninsula!
Reply 148
Kim Jong Il is dead! Things could start getting interesting on the Korean peninsula!

omg I heard that on the news yeah! It could very interesting indeed, I got the newspaper the other day as well and it said how North Korea was allowing tourists in, but they have to be watched at all times and if they got a newspaper that had Kim Jong Il's face on it they can't bend the pages.
omo, it is very interesting. Definitely something to keep watch about
Hopefully nothing happens to jeopardise our year abroad there :tongue:
Reply 150
It'd be pretty interesting~! But I doubt anything major will happen. Buuuut you never know. Kim Jong Un is crazier than his father omo
Reply 151
heyyy guise :biggrin: i want to ask a few questions if thats ok ^o^

Im doing AS levels atm and want to apply for korean studies and business management next year, is there any benefit to doing this course opposed to just korean studies? is it harder to get into?

also the requirements are ABB, my current AS levels are Bio, Ict, Psychology and chem. I will be dropping chem soon because i got a U :[ and dont think i'll meet the entry requirements for the course if i continue on with chem.
so I need to pick up another A level fast, is there any ones that would be beneficial? what A levels are regarded as "bad" by the uni? I really dont mind what A level I do, if they are all equally weighted since there is no specific entry requirement A level for this course I could just take the easiest A level out there?
Reply 152
Original post by vabbian
heyyy guise :biggrin: i want to ask a few questions if thats ok ^o^

Im doing AS levels atm and want to apply for korean studies and business management next year, is there any benefit to doing this course opposed to just korean studies? is it harder to get into?

also the requirements are ABB, my current AS levels are Bio, Ict, Psychology and chem. I will be dropping chem soon because i got a U :[ and dont think i'll meet the entry requirements for the course if i continue on with chem.
so I need to pick up another A level fast, is there any ones that would be beneficial? what A levels are regarded as "bad" by the uni? I really dont mind what A level I do, if they are all equally weighted since there is no specific entry requirement A level for this course I could just take the easiest A level out there?

As long as you get the grades it doesn't matter what subject you do. As far as I know the department doesn't have a blacklist for subjects. You just have to work hard and get the grades you need :smile:

Korean with/ degrees aren't any harder to get into than single hons unless they specifically have higher entry requirements. In terms of benefits though... if you don't like studying anything about Asia, i.e. Chinese culture, Japanese history etc etc then doing a joint hons means you don't have to do loads of studies modules like single hons students. However, you have to do business ones instead... plus compulsory Korean history in first year.

Back when I applied I think general studies was an accepted A-level with the uni... you would have to double check that now though. I never did it at school, but I vaguely remember others saying it was accepted. I've heard it's the easiest one...
Reply 153
Original post by 0w3n-69
As long as you get the grades it doesn't matter what subject you do. As far as I know the department doesn't have a blacklist for subjects. You just have to work hard and get the grades you need :smile:

Korean with/ degrees aren't any harder to get into than single hons unless they specifically have higher entry requirements. In terms of benefits though... if you don't like studying anything about Asia, i.e. Chinese culture, Japanese history etc etc then doing a joint hons means you don't have to do loads of studies modules like single hons students. However, you have to do business ones instead... plus compulsory Korean history in first year.

Back when I applied I think general studies was an accepted A-level with the uni... you would have to double check that now though. I never did it at school, but I vaguely remember others saying it was accepted. I've heard it's the easiest one...

thank you so much for replying :adore:
I've looked at the modules for both courses and both go up to the same standard of korean by the end of the 4 years, so what are the benefits of taking just korean studies and not a double?

are you already on the course? is it difficult? how many hours a week are you at lectures? is it mostly independent study? what is the % pass mark for modules and stuff? sorry for so many questions xD

hmm i could take general studies :cool: I'm just thinking would they be more likely to accept me if i took a more "challenging" A level, so to speak. I have been interested greatly in korean culture for around 4 years now, I dont think its just some "phase" Im going through, so I think Id be able to commit to the course when I decide to apply :biggrin:
My offers didn't say "Excluding General Studies" like my Leeds one did, so I think they still accept it, but only in combination with two other 'Acceptable subjects': http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel

You could perhaps take a Humanities subjects so you're not doing all Sciences, and to show you have a wider range of skills beyond just Science?

I applied to Korea with Japanese, and got an ABB offer just like Single Korean, so I don't think it's harder to get in to (although I got AAB for Single Japanese for whatever reason...).
Reply 155
My offers didn't say "Excluding General Studies" like my Leeds one did, so I think they still accept it, but only in combination with two other 'Acceptable subjects': http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel

You could perhaps take a Humanities subjects so you're not doing all Sciences, and to show you have a wider range of skills beyond just Science?

I applied to Korea with Japanese, and got an ABB offer just like Single Korean, so I don't think it's harder to get in to (although I got AAB for Single Japanese for whatever reason...).

oooh thank you for this link *hugs* :dancing:
oooh it has a little sub paragraph talking about how they dont like general studies :3 maybe not then. hmph. I will be taking biology, psychology and "x" a level at A2 cause Ict is LONG and pretty useless.
Have to try and get a new subject before I return to school in January so that I dont have to continue with bloody chemistry :angry:
is citizenship easy? :s aw heck my parents probs wont let me take that anyway :P

congrats in getting a offer :biggrin: what were your A2 subjects if you dont mind me asking? Im really getting my hopes up to go to sheffield to study korean so I want to do everything I can now to make that happen
History, Classical Civilisation and English Literature, with Biology at AS. I'm also doing General Studies, but only because my school makes it compulsory.
Reply 157
ah so Im doing one of the same as you ^o^
ahhh such a difficult choice to make, so many A levels out there... since there is no specific requirement A levels for the course I just wanna pick the easiest one! asdfghhjkl
/le sigh.
I know none of them are particularly easy, just wanna make sure I get the grade requirements for the course :{
Reply 158
Original post by vabbian
ah so Im doing one of the same as you ^o^
ahhh such a difficult choice to make, so many A levels out there... since there is no specific requirement A levels for the course I just wanna pick the easiest one! asdfghhjkl
/le sigh.
I know none of them are particularly easy, just wanna make sure I get the grade requirements for the course :{

As you note, no A levels are easy (barring general studies I guess), but it would be a good idea to play to your strengths. If you find Psychology okay then perhaps you should look at taking Sociology or something essay based like History or English Literature. I have an offer for Chinese and History at both Sheffield and Leeds and am studying History, English Literature and Physics btw. I find the skills from History and English transferable, and my friend who takes Psychology is also getting A grades in both Sociology and English Lit. :smile:
Reply 159
Original post by Triggster
As you note, no A levels are easy (barring general studies I guess), but it would be a good idea to play to your strengths. If you find Psychology okay then perhaps you should look at taking Sociology or something essay based like History or English Literature. I have an offer for Chinese and History at both Sheffield and Leeds and am studying History, English Literature and Physics btw. I find the skills from History and English transferable, and my friend who takes Psychology is also getting A grades in both Sociology and English Lit. :smile:

hmm i get what youre saying :smile: I think sociology would be a good choice actually, as for english or history, I really dislike essay writing :P well, not so much the essays themself, but the fact that the exams are almost entirely subjective. there is no one way of getting those much-needed marks!

congratz on your offer! :wink: I would love to do Chinese because of simply how much benefit it would be to know the language. I'm guessing Sheffield teaches the mandarin dialect?

Also, this A level I pick up I would have to self-teach, so whatever I pick really has to tailor to this. I dont think I could pick up a subject that is incredibly detailed or complex :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending