The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

I have created a group called 'Feminism!'. It can be found here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1758
This thread is just for debate about both the abstract, ideological aspects of feminism as well as how the practical implementation of these ideas should happen, both on a local and worldwide scale.
I will probably edit this post later, please post suggestions as to what you want me to write here. Some inspirational quotes? ...or some shocking statistics?7

Mod's note - Just to pre-empt the troll brigade, sensible discussion and disagreement is okay, trolling and spam is not. Cheers :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hope you support the motion that female soldiers should be required to fight on the front line.
Reply 2
How about....

"Feminism essentially promotes exactly the same values as it claims to oppose."

Discuss.
Reply 3
"Yet women are, on average, paid less despite being, on average, more intelligent"

Source for the inteligence bit? (exam results don't count as that is easily refuted).
Original post by james22
"Yet women are, on average, paid less despite being, on average, more intelligent"

Source for the inteligence bit? (exam results don't count as that is easily refuted).

I know that it is subjective. There is no way of proving this as it is all down to perspective and interpretation. There is also no definition of 'intelligence' really. However, in my opinion, based on what I have observed of people's behaviour, women seem more intelligent than men. It doesn't really matter because even if there is a diffference, intelligence is not determined by gender as there are intelligent guys and less intelligent girls. If there isn't a difference, the fact that they are paid less is still wrong. Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid (IMO of course, because you cannot control how intelligent you are and, if anything, income should be based on hard work although that is not really feasible). Ignore the intelligence bit, I just intended it to be banter. (I am male myself, so I definitely don't think of men as stupid and don't judge intelligence on gender at all).
EDIT: spelling...
ANOTHER EDIT: This post was negged a lot - can anyone tell me why?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by james22

Also, I think when I wrote it that I was angry about how women got less prestigious jobs despite being better qualified (i.e. exam results), so I should have written 'despite being, on average, better qualified and better suited to well-paid jobs'.
I'm confused what's you're actual point about feminism? What do you want to discuss? Feminist views are quite broad.
Reply 7
I'm all for equal rights, but I don't think women should get preferential treatment. A great example is Wimbledon: if they want to get paid as much as the guys, they should play as many games as the guys. Now they get paid a significant amount more per match than their male counterparts do.
Original post by When you see it...
I know that it is subjective. There is no way of proving this as it is all down to perspective and interpretation. There is also no definition of 'intelligence' really. However, in my opinion, based on what I have observed of people's behaviour, women seem more intelligent than men. It doesn't really matter because even if there is a diffference, intelligence is not determined by gender as there are intelligent guys and less intelligent girls. If there isn't a difference, the fact that they are paid less is still wrong. Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid (IMO of course, because you cannot control how intelligent you are and, if anything, income should be based on hard work although that is not really feasible). Ignore the intelligence bit, I just intended it to be banter. (I am male myself, so I definitely don't think of men as stupid and don't judge intelligence on gender at all).
EDIT: spelling...

banter? see, I'm a feminist, and what you're doing is trivialising it all with silly remarks like that. Women being paid less has nothing to do with intelligence. I think my IQ is probably higher than Katie Price, Kim Kardashian, Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton but they earn a lot more than me!
Original post by I Persia I
I hope you support the motion that female soldiers should be required to fight on the front line.

No, I am against the idea of war and armies altogether. If we had a world country, there would be no international conflict, so there wouldn't be a 'front line', so this would be a non-issue. There would be civil wars, but believe that anyone should be able to fight in a civil war, but no-one should be made to fight in a civil war (i.e. no conscription) and the only people fighting will actually believe in the cause that they are fighting for rather than having soldiers hide behind the excuse 'I'm only following orders' when they commit atrocities.
Can I join?
No, I am against the idea of war and armies altogether. If we had a world country, there would be no international conflict, so there wouldn't be a 'front line', so this would be a non-issue. There would be civil wars, but believe that anyone should be able to fight in a civil war, but no-one should be made to fight in a civil war (i.e. no conscription) and the only people fighting will actually believe in the cause that they are fighting for rather than having soldiers hide behind the excuse 'I'm only following orders' when they commit atrocities.

I fail to see what that has to do with feminism? :lolwut:

I meant serving soliders. People who've signed up to join the Army/Navy/Airforce/Marines.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I'm confused what's you're actual point about feminism? What do you want to discuss? Feminist views are quite broad.

Anything.

Original post by soya salami
banter? see, I'm a feminist, and what you're doing is trivialising it all with silly remarks like that. Women being paid less has nothing to do with intelligence. I think my IQ is probably higher than Katie Price, Kim Kardashian, Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton but they earn a lot more than me!

IQ tests are culturally biased and rely somewhat on knowledge rather than pure aptitude, but I get what you mean. Anyway, do you disagree that women are in general, more intelligent? I mean that it is banter in the same sense that calling someone a 'dumb blonde' is banter. It is not a personal attack and the person knows it, it is just making a joke about a societal stereotype. Everyone who makes those jokes knows that not all blondes are 'dumb' but they may or may not belive that blondes, in general, are dumb. They are not trying to make the person they insult feel 'dumb' - it is just banter, which now that I think about it is very hard to define. I disagree with your viewpoint that it 'trivialises' the issue because the entire point of banter is to make people see the human side of your worldview. To use an analogy, who did you learn most from in primary school, the teacher who thought that education and entertainment don't mix or the teacher who made a few jokes?
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Can I join?

Yes anyone can join. You just click the link on the group page don't you?
Anything.

Well that's quite broad don't you think. No discussion point from you at all?
I fail to see what that has to do with feminism? :lolwut:

I meant serving soliders. People who've signed up to join the Army/Navy/Airforce/Marines.

I'm saying that it should be a moot point. Also, there is no harm in delving into other debates.

I certainly do - if women want the same rights as men, that should include the same responsibilities.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Well that's quite broad don't you think. No discussion point from you at all?

Okay then. How do you think that women can gain better political representation. How can it practically be done?
Reply 18
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never properly understood what feminism is. I have a basic knowledge, but nothing more. Could someone explain it to me please?

So basically feminists seek equal rights for women in comparison to men? Surely in the majority of first world countries that's the case anyway? I assume they also attempt to eradicate gender roles/stereotypes?
I am all for equality, but I think the word 'feminism' may be interpreted as being a sexist word... If a male group called themselves 'masculinists', would this be seen as acceptable? This may be a personal thing, and I am honestly not arguing with anyone or anything, but isn't something like 'advocate for women's equality' better?

Latest