The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Thu 19 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LifeIsGood
Thanks for the date, I was trying to look it up but the timetable is down :smile:

I'm resitting this after getting a C in June, gutted. Really want to get a high A in this paper so started revising today.

Were you in the June thread? I seem to recognise you :tongue:

I'm resitting, even though I dropped after AS. I got the paper back to see a ton of stupid mistakes. No revision yet, but I'm determined to improve.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Were you in the June thread? I seem to recognise you :tongue:

I'm resitting, even though I dropped after AS. I got the paper back to see a ton of stupid mistakes. No revision yet, but I'm determined to improve.

Probably was :tongue:

I didn't look at the thread too much as I knew I messed up on this paper (got a C). What mistakes did you make? I need to improve my exam technique and just work on Resources & HSW questions, I hope the essay question will be on Energy, those are a God-send!
Probably was :tongue:

I didn't look at the thread too much as I knew I messed up on this paper (got a C). What mistakes did you make? I need to improve my exam technique and just work on Resources & HSW questions, I hope the essay question will be on Energy, those are a God-send!

I failed at balancing an equation, wrote 'homolytic' instead of 'heterolytic' (or the other way around), and generally missed out stupid little things. I'm not brilliant at the Resources bit as I didn't go to any of those lessons. I want another essay q on identifying hydrocarbons, that was nice.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I failed at balancing an equation, wrote 'homolytic' instead of 'heterolytic' (or the other way around), and generally missed out stupid little things. I'm not brilliant at the Resources bit as I didn't go to any of those lessons. I want another essay q on identifying hydrocarbons, that was nice.

What grade did you get for this paper?
What grade did you get for this paper?

Very low B. But I got a 96 in the last mock I did which annoyed me more, so I was all 'make me retake NOW!' And I regret that because I have 7 other exams to prepare for which will matter for uni applications.
Reply 25
Woo. Resit. /sarcasm.

Got a C, wanted an A. Nothing can be worse than June's paper. In all seriousness I am ready for anything that isn't ALL UNIT 4! <_< It's just really frustrating because I was getting straight As in my mocks :frown: & I'm getting straight As even now in the past papers etc. & the whole paper in June felt like it was on my weakest spot!

So hi people! I'm familiar with a few of you, from June :tongue:
Original post by DoDoBeDo
Woo. Resit. /sarcasm.

Got a C, wanted an A. Nothing can be worse than June's paper. In all seriousness I am ready for anything that isn't ALL UNIT 4! <_< It's just really frustrating because I was getting straight As in my mocks :frown: & I'm getting straight As even now in the past papers etc. & the whole paper in June felt like it was on my weakest spot!

So hi people! I'm familiar with a few of you, from June :tongue:

Your right, I did this paper in June and it was weird compared to other past papers I had done. Was quite surprised when I found out how well i'd done lol, thought I'd failed all the dodgy green chemistry questions :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by fudgesundae
Your right, I did this paper in June and it was weird compared to other past papers I had done. Was quite surprised when I found out how well i'd done lol, thought I'd failed all the dodgy green chemistry questions :tongue:

read: the whole paper. IT WAS ALL TREE HUGGING! Seriously. It was a 9 spread module and it felt like the whole paper was on it. It was my weakest spot of the entire AS course that module, and the fact I got a C surprised me. It really did. Just really hoping for a nice long equilibrium question & maybe a spectroscopy one... & I'd even be happy with a 5/6 mark, curly arrow one... :tongue:

The layout to both F321 & F322 was very different in June to how it was in January. Veeeery different. I got a B in F321 in June (wanted an A) but it was the first question, it really threw me & knocked my confidence for the rest of the paper!

Both of them in June were awful. Really awful. :lol:
read: the whole paper. IT WAS ALL TREE HUGGING! Seriously. It was a 9 spread module and it felt like the whole paper was on it. It was my weakest spot of the entire AS course that module, and the fact I got a C surprised me. It really did. Just really hoping for a nice long equilibrium question & maybe a spectroscopy one... & I'd even be happy with a 5/6 mark, curly arrow one... :tongue:

The layout to both F321 & F322 was very different in June to how it was in January. Veeeery different. I got a B in F321 in June (wanted an A) but it was the first question, it really threw me & knocked my confidence for the rest of the paper!

Yep, I hated the F321 paper as well. I had been getting close to 100% in all my mocks for that paper then came out with 80/90 in the actual exam, bit of a shock. I haven't actually looked back through F321 since the exam, but from what I remember they just seemed to pick the very hardest bits from the syllabus and put them all in, unlike past years.
Reply 29
Original post by fudgesundae
Yep, I hated the F321 paper as well. I had been getting close to 100% in all my mocks for that paper then came out with 80/90 in the actual exam, bit of a shock. I haven't actually looked back through F321 since the exam, but from what I remember they just seemed to pick the very hardest bits from the syllabus and put them all in, unlike past years.

I came out of it with 65/90 when I was getting 80+/90 in mocks. (the January paper I found so easy when I came back to it in June. I just really panicked in January & that came through in my results.)

& in F322 I was getting about 75/100 upwards. So coming out of it with a C really peed me off! :tongue: but seeing the paper, I still don't think I could do much better. I could probably pull it up to a high B. But I don't think I could get an A in it!

The papers, even biology, seemed to be of a very different layout to what they have been in the past

EXACTLY! So much green rubbish :tongue: That was the stuff I was so weak at aswell! I just scraped a C, one mark I would have a D so really want to get a solid A in this paper. I think they've pretty much maxed their questions on green chemistry when I looked at the specification as in they've asked everything that was on the specification in past papers (inc. June 11) but we'll see.

My Predictions For January 2012:
*Catalytic Converter
*Long Boltzmann Distribution/Energy Changes
I don't think they'll put a long infrared analysis question since it was in June's paper.

Also I thought the January 2011 F321 paper was weird...the whole style of the paper was different as in they threw in a lot of long questions and towards the end they didn't make it nice :frown: I luckily got a very high B (one ums off an A) from not panicking at all and just staying relaxed. After my Biology paper, people convinced me I'd failed & I had this paper a day after. Point: Don't Panic In Papers - they destroy your grade & everything you worked so hard for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
:bump:
They'd better ditch all the green crap this time around, I'm much better at the processes/rules side of things instead of 'learn set answers nao' where they dock marks if you don't write exactly what they want. :angry:
Does anyone have the June 2011 paper for this module?
Reply 34
I did absolutely terrible in this paper it dropped me down two grades in chemistry to a D I just pray this resit paper is nicer. I've been doing test papers and keep getting low a's and high b's anyone got advice how I can get a high stable A?
I did really bad in this exam and i'm revising for it at the moment, completely stressing cause nothing is going in. Any tips anyone.
I'll be taking this exam.

Again.

After the previous 3 times I've done it -.-
Original post by the_alybot
I'll be taking this exam.

Again.

After the previous 3 times I've done it -.-

This is my 3rd time and I'm determined to get an A :biggrin:

I'm taking Unit 4 aswell so it should link in pretty easily, need to go over all the HSW crap
Reply 38
Original post by livingforthefuture
I did really bad in this exam and i'm revising for it at the moment, completely stressing cause nothing is going in. Any tips anyone.

Learn all the mechanisms and diagrams then do as many test papers as possible
Original post by Pancake_Man
Does anyone have the June 2011 paper for this module?

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%202/Unit%202%20resources.html

scroll down to find paper and MS for Jan and June 2011 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending