The Student Room Group

I want to learn a foreign language!

I love learning languages! Right now I'm trying to learn a number of them.

Are you currently learning a language?

Share your experience! :biggrin:

Anyone???
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm attempting to learn Hungarian as I'll be volunteering there next year. My boyfriend is a native speaker and I love the sound of the language so much. I'm aiming to be able to hold at least basic conversations in it.

I haven't got past the very beginner stuff yet though...it's completely different to any language I've seen before. In a way it's simpler (Less tenses, no grammatical gender, nearly perfectly phonetic so pronouncing from the spelling is easy) but from my beginner point of view it's really hard to wrap my head around. :biggrin:

Also, my pronunciation sucks and I'm especially struggling with rolling my "r"s :colondollar: I've watched so many tutorial videos and followed so many guides but I'm not getting the hang of it at all :s-smilie:

Oh well, 10 months left to learn it before I go off to volunteer :biggrin: hopefully I'll improve by then.
I've been learning Spanish by myself for about 3 years. I love this language and I think it's pretty easy. Last month I had an opportunity (first time ever) to use it, I talked to some Spanish people. :smile: I felt soooo good :biggrin: Now I wanna learn it even more. :smile:

I also started to learn Greek but only a few weeks ago. It's much more difficult than Spanish. :frown:
Reply 3
I'm currently taking French and Spanish as AS after learning them for 4/5 years :smile:

Recently I've started trying to teach myself italian and mandarin through youtube and 'teach youreself' books. Needless to say I'm finding italian sooo much easier than mandarin (because of my spanish knowledge) but thankfully they are both interesting languages :smile:
I want to learn Latin/Greek/Persian/Spanish/Italian

:biggrin: Ive got a pretty long list lol :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Pingüino
I'm currently taking French and Spanish as AS after learning them for 4/5 years :smile:

Recently I've started trying to teach myself italian and mandarin through youtube and 'teach youreself' books. Needless to say I'm finding italian sooo much easier than mandarin (because of my spanish knowledge) but thankfully they are both interesting languages :smile:

I'm trying to teach myself mandarin too!

I find the verb conjugations and sentence structures of spanish so confusing! I always get them wrong! :s-smilie:

Aren't classifiers a pain in the ass to learn?
Reply 6
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh

I've got those languages in my list as well. :wink:
Original post by vwsl93
I've got those languages in my list as well. :wink:

Nice :biggrin:

What languages do you know?/want to learn?
Reply 8
Nice :biggrin:

What languages do you know?/want to learn?

I know: Swedish, English, a bit of Cantonese and Mandarin, Spanish (a failed version). I want to learn Arabic, Persian, Italian, Turkish, Ancient Egyptian and Ancient Greek. Maybe Latin. :smile:

What languages do you know? :smile:
Reply 9

ancient or modern? You put it right after Latin, so I though ancient, but then you put modern languages, so I'm a bit confused.

I am learning German atm (I hate it...but I need it for academic reasons :frown: )
I've also taught myself Italian for a while, but I want to improve it. Hopefully, having to read Italian books/articles for uni will do that for me.
I also want to learn French (again, for academic reasons mainly)

eventually, I would like to be able to be fluent in italian, french, german and spanish, which would enable me to read 99% of the bibliography for my subject (as I already speak Greek and English) but I'm a long way from that :tongue:
Original post by vwsl93
I know: Swedish, English, a bit of Cantonese and Mandarin, Spanish (a failed version). I want to learn Arabic, Persian, Italian, Turkish, Ancient Egyptian and Ancient Greek. Maybe Latin. :smile:

I had one lesson in it...I despaired and gave up :frown: I regret it now. It would be so cool if I could have even a basic understanding of it.
Original post by Xristina
ancient or modern? You put it right after Latin, so I though ancient, but then you put modern languages, so I'm a bit confused.

I am learning German atm (I hate it...but I need it for academic reasons :frown: )
I've also taught myself Italian for a while, but I want to improve it. Hopefully, having to read Italian books/articles for uni will do that for me.
I also want to learn French (again, for academic reasons mainly)

eventually, I would like to be able to be fluent in italian, french, german and spanish, which would enable me to read 99% of the bibliography for my subject (as I already speak Greek and English) but I'm a long way from that :tongue:

Oops, just Latin then :colondollar:
Oops, just Latin then :colondollar:

no, I'm just asking if you want to learn ancient or modern Greek. I didn't suggest not learning it. :confused:

btw, what a coincidence, I also live in a city occupied by muggles!! :tongue:
Reply 13
I had one lesson in it...I despaired and gave up :frown: I regret it now. It would be so cool if I could have even a basic understanding of it.

haha! :biggrin: Ancient Egyptian isn't the easiest of languages. It really is cool. :smile:

Are you Greek?
Original post by vwsl93
I know: Swedish, English, a bit of Cantonese and Mandarin, Spanish (a failed version).
I want to learn Arabic, Persian, Italian, Turkish, Ancient Egyptian and Ancient Greek. Maybe Latin. :smile:

Ooh I know broken Arabic, Urdu, French, English, Gujerati, bit of Persian.. :smile:

- :lolwut: a neg for knowing languages? :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Ooh I know broken Arabic, Urdu, French, English, Gujerati, bit of Persian.. :smile:

Wow! Do you know how to write in those languages too? :smile:

Are you from the UAE?
(edited 12 years ago)
no, I'm just asking if you want to learn ancient or modern Greek. I didn't suggest not learning it. :confused:

btw, what a coincidence, I also live in a city occupied by muggles!! :tongue:

Sorry you confused me lol :redface:
Ancient Greek :smile:

Ah! Finally found someone who is not a muggle!! :tongue: :woo:
Original post by vwsl93
haha! :biggrin: Ancient Egyptian isn't the easiest of languages. It really is cool. :smile:

Are you Greek?

yeah, and a classicist, so I know ancient Greek as well :smile:

I do regret not keeping it up..I was an erasmus student at Birmingham, and the way erasmus works you need to take courses similar to the ones in your home uni, or else they won't be recognised and you won't receive a mark for them. I had already taken one course that I knew would not be recognised, and the amount of studying needed for Egyptian was just insane...So I figured, I can't risk failing my examined modules, so I gave up. But looking back at it, I should have made the time!
Sorry you confused me lol :redface:
Ancient Greek :smile:

Ah! Finally found someone who is not a muggle!! :tongue: :woo:

ah OK :tongue: You should learn it, it's amazing :smile:

I know, tell me about it, these muggles are everywhere...It's getting on my nerves...
Original post by vwsl93
Wow! Do you know how write in those languages too? :smile:

Are you from the UAE?

Yep can read and write them all except Gujerati :tongue:

Nope not the UAE, but Qatar..I'm mostly Indian with an african and arab mix :smile: Yourself?

Quick Reply