The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
How fit was that Adler.

Ooofff

:sexface:
I'm not sure why people keep going on about Karachi. There's nothing to say they were there, barring the fact that Mycroft thought they were.
Reply 902
It was quite the episode with a range of innovative ideas created! I loved how he went to Karachi at the end..
ABSOLUTELY FRICKING AMAZING
the whole team are just absolutely geniuses <3 i didn't think that the deduction sequences could get any better but i was obviously wrong, and wow at the slow mo moments, fabulous :smile:

i was very impressed with all the acting, particularly lara and una's whom i thought were absolutely fantastic, and i loved that they developed the relationships between the characters and fleshed everyone out with scenes like the christmas party (tho molly :frown: ).

overall an AMAZING episode, loved the 'extra' plot idea very original indeed :smile:, can't wait for next week <3

Spoiler

Reply 904
Original post by TableClock

Spoiler

What do you think happened?
Original post by sheep_go_baa
It will be the best hour and a half your brain has ever had

Agreed. Amazing it was :woo: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by TM94
How fit was that Adler Sherlock.

Ooofff

:teehee:

Just me? :ninja:

On a serious note, this episode was AMAZING :eek: I think I'm in love :love:

Original post by Cybele
Loved seeing the teeny glimpses of Sherlock's more human side in that episode. :love:

And this, definitely. All the stuff about him sort of liking Adler, but then not, but then he did really, and then she didn't, but she did... Incredibly well written (and acted) :yep: :biggrin:
Reply 907
Official Long-Winded Review
This episode perfectly summed up the feelings I get during the Christmas period. You wonder if you care that your relatives are visiting, they've been gone so long after all. However, they arrive and remind you why you fell in love with them in the first place. Sherlock was like that, except I actually hate my relatives.

This opening episode, written by fan favourite/enemy, Steven Moffat, sort of adapts the "A Scandal in Bohemia" story of Sherlock Holmes. What this basically means is that Irene Adler is introduced. Of course, we still have to sort out the cliffhanger left by the end of the last series. It's fairly obvious what happens in a general sense, as one wonders why three 90 minute episodes would be commissioned for dead men. Alas, the sespense was fun while it lasted.

Plot: Sort of. Irene Adler has acquired some scandalous photographs on her "camera phone", so the British Government, including Mycroft Holmes, ask Sherlock and Watson to go get this "camera phone." They go to her flat only to find out very quickly that she seems to always be several steps ahead of them. And naked. More things happen, but I refuse to say it people may shout "Spoiler" as if they have a very polite form of Tourettes' Syndrome.

First of all, the best on-screen chemistry of any show out there is between Cumberbatch/Sherlock and Freeman/Watson. Everything between the two of them seems to natural, which was highlighted for me in a very warm scene in which they both laugh at their situation in the Houses of Parliament. They read each other's minds (most of the time) and suit each other perfectly. Throw in Mrs Hudson for a very charming trio.

However, what if you throw in somebody who may be even more perfect to suit Sherlock? Enter Irene who seems to gain a strong connection with Sherlock, intellectually at least. For once, Sherlock has somebody who interests him. Sorry, Molly. In fact, contrary to the previous series where the attraction seemed to be slightly more on Sherlock's side, now Watson is the jealous type and Sherlock attracting women while Watson chases after him, leaving his many girlfriends to one side. It's an interesting switch of the dynamic and shows that Sherlock may be changing into something more...human. I don't know. This is shown very well in the scene with Mycroft as they wonder what it would be like to be "one of them". The normal people. It's quite a sad scene.

The direction by Paul McGuigan was superb as you get the usual words on screen like the last series, but now new devices are used, such as walking through a frozen crime scene analysing it in real time as if they witnessed the crime. Nothing seemed out of place. Apart from an American accent. It seems that the BBC cannot get anyone who can do an American accent. Ever.

Apart from a slight thing at the end, it was perfect. This makes me sad.

As Freeman and Cumberbatch gain status, both being in the Hobbit and Cumberbatch especially seeming to turn up in a number of Hollywood films, you wonder how many episodes this has left. They could both move onto greater things fairly easily. Gatiss and Moffat are two of the hottest writers in the business at the moment. How much more do we have left?

It doesn't matter, at least we got this one episode which has exceeded all of my expectations. A challenge, one maybe even above the great Sherlock Holmes, would be to make a better episode than this.
This is now my phone's lock screen!

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 909
Original post by tinytadpoletim
:lolwut:

How on earth do you acquire enough corpses to fill a jumbo jet??

Sorry if you think I'm being pedantic but it was ridiculous at times...

The boomerang question has already been answered... No point in repeating someone else's good sense.

Well, lots of people die. Plenty of people do donate their bodies to be used as cadavers/ are organ donors. And some people, I guess, got "redirected" to be used for the trip.

It was ridiculous. It was also brilliant. It's Sherlock, what do you expect!? He IS ridiculous and brilliant.
Original post by Blame
Oh my God that was amazing. I cant wait till next week for the next ep.
Rest of the night ill rewatch the first series, my obsession with Sherlock has returned!

Are they on iPlayer now? :curious: I can't seem to find them :sad:

Presumably you have them on DVD. :facepalm: :colondollar:
Original post by Amwazicles

Just me? :ninja:

Yes, just you...

Spoiler

Original post by sheep_go_baa
Yes, just you...

Spoiler

Oh good :love: :lol:
Reply 913
Calm down everyone.
Original post by Colonel.
Calm down everyone.

:teehee: To what are you referring?
Reply 915
I might be being a total idiot here, I totally ADORED this episode but I was a little confused about three things and wondered if anyone could help me out?
1. Why were they going to the trouble of putting dead bodies on a plane instead of just arresting the terrorists?
2. Wouldn't the terrorists realise it was full of dead people before they blew the plane up?
3. Why did Irene tell the terrorists about the plot?
Thank you for any help and sorry if I'm being a total moron :smile:
Reply 917
Loved it :love: might rewatch it before bed

And seeing as people are sharing links:

http://www.sherlockology.com/links
Original post by Inmyownlittleworld
I might be being a total idiot here, I totally ADORED this episode but I was a little confused about three things and wondered if anyone could help me out?
1. Why were they going to the trouble of putting dead bodies on a plane instead of just arresting the terrorists?
2. Wouldn't the terrorists realise it was full of dead people before they blew the plane up?
3. Why did Irene tell the terrorists about the plot?
Thank you for any help and sorry if I'm being a total moron :smile:

1. The Coventry Conundrum or whatever it was called: the fact that stopping the terrorists/cancelling the flight would show that UK Intelligence had intel on them, thus alerting the terrorist organisation.
2. I'd assume that it was already in place in the hold, ready to be activated remotely.
3. She's a baddie.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Colonel.

Well, are you surprised?! :teehee:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending