The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Postgraduate halls at Liverpool

Hi! I'm a third year student who's currently on a year abroad; the next academic year I'll be returning to Liverpool for my 4th year. The problem is, I have no one to live with! Since finding a spare room in a house is such a gamble when you don't know the people well, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Liverpool Uni halls which are aimed at postgraduates?

I'll be 22 by the time I return to the UK and I don't particularly want to live with 18 year olds; if I apply for the postgraduate halls is the accommodation office likely to put me with freshers or people closer to my age? Do 2nd and 3rd years live in these halls? Or does anyone have any better suggestions for accommodation for my third year? Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi. I've lived in Atlantic Point Halls for two years now. In my second year you get put in with 2nd/3rd and 4th year students as well as postgrads. When you apply you say what year you are in and we live in different blocks to the freshers.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by mini11_11
Hi. I've lived in Atlantic Point Halls for two years now. In my second year you get put in with 2nd/3rd and 4th year students as well as postgrads. When you apply you say what year you are in and we live in different blocks to the freshers.

Hi would you recommend going into hall as a second year student?
Reply 3
Original post by poolstudent
Hi would you recommend going into hall as a second year student?

Definitely. I couldn't see myself living again with my flatmates from last year. Going into halls again gives you chance to make more friends which I did. You make more friends, but you've got the bonus that its a bit quieter because you get put with like-minded second years. There's still parties and things, but it quietens down during exam season.
Reply 4
Original post by mini11_11

That's great, thanks for replying! Do the other students living there come with their friends? Or do most people arrive not knowing each other?
Reply 5
Original post by deadwing
That's great, thanks for replying! Do the other students living there come with their friends? Or do most people arrive not knowing each other?

There's a bit of both really, some move in with a person or two that they knew from the year before, some don't and just make new friends.
Reply 6
Hey, I'll be moving to Liverpool in Sept for the LLM in law - I don't think I'm going to apply for post-grad halls because I know there'll be a lot of international students and they tend to hang around with other international students.

Anyone gonna be looking for a house near the uni? I want private accommodation but really don't know the area (never been to Liverpool)

Oh, I'm a final year student at DCU (Dublin City University)
At prospect point I live with people who are aged 19-22. They accept freshers but all have taken a gap year as the halls is oversubscribed. Most, though I guess not all, of mature/older students live in house as opposed to halls. You can call accommodation in order to ask what type of student they live there -- perhaps that'll help! :wink:

Quick Reply