The Student Room Group

Mining Engineering

A Bit of a shot in the dark but is any one out there applying/ going to Mining Engineering at Exeter? If so Hello :smile:
Reply 1
Hey im seriously considering it :smile:, it does look really good, what A levels you doing/grades?.....and Hello to you to :P
Reply 2
Hello, really love the course there great balance of everything and nice job prospects :wink: Im doing Maths, Physics and Geology through to A2 hopefully get A*A*A - AAA, how about yourself? It was quite difficult to write my personal statement to include geophysics/geology aswell as Mining Engineer .. but hopefully they'll understand that they're the only ones which offer the course :confused: Glad I have found a fellow CSM applicant :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yeah I'm having the same problem with the personal statement as we obviously cant make it specific to mining engineering :s-smilie:, so its more heavily geology based....I'm predicted ABBB, Geography, Chemistry, Biology, History....:biggrin:
Reply 4
Offer for Mining Engineering at Exeter ABB :smile:
Reply 5
hey congrats :smile: will you make it you firm?
Well I just got an offer for civil engineering at Exeter :smile:
Reply 7
Hey, I'm thinking I will but I'm not 100% sure yet... It's between Exeter and Lancaster, what about you?
Reply 8
It will probably be my firm :smile:
Reply 9
Hey guys! I'm a first year Geology student at CSM so if you want to ask any questions or whatever about it, fire away. I know when I was in your position this time last year I wanted to hear as much as possible. Us geologists share quite a lot of modules with the mining engineers, in the first year at least (and everyone at CSM knows eachother anyway). But basically I'm absolutely loving it so far and would recommend CSM to anyone :biggrin:. Great location, great people, amazing job prospects!
Reply 10
hello :smile: whats the lectures like and how many hours are these per week? for the exams is it just split at January and at June? and whats social lfe like? :smile: thankyou
Original post by Morkike
hello :smile: whats the lectures like and how many hours are these per week? for the exams is it just split at January and at June? and whats social lfe like? :smile: thankyou

The lectures have been good so far - in the first term the modules covered a range of subjects, to act as a foundation really to bring everyone up to the same level - maths, geology, surveying and mining engineering (although as a geologist I didn't do the mining module, did chemistry instead). The first three are shared by the whole of CSM first year (miners, geologists and renewables). The material has all been pretty straightforward, especially if you've done sciency subjects like maths, geology and physics for A Level. Roughly 20 hours per week of lectures. The lecturers are all really friendly and approachable which is good.

Exams - there are 4 in January for the above first term modules (all next week, eek), I'm not sure how many the miners have in June (we do completely different modules to them in term 2) but I think it's probably around 3/4 again. Yup, exams are just in January and June, but there are coursework assignments set throughout the term for all the modules which will contribute some % to that module. We also have to do a 3 week Surveying field course after exams finish in June (that's mining engineers and geologists).

Social life is great! Falmouth may not have the nightlife of bigger towns/cities but it's so friendly and you'll always see people you know on a night out. It's great being part of CSM too because it's a bit like a big family - you'll get to know people from all years and there are often events and stuff run by the student association for everyone in CSM. Coming up this term we've got Crazy Week (basically Rag Week - doing crazy stuff to raise money for charity), the Bottle Match (various sports matches played against RSM at Imperial, second oldest varsity match in the world after Oxford-Cambridge boat race, and being held at CSM this year :biggrin: I'll be playing netball. It's meant to be a great weekend!) and also the International Mining Games Competition, which is also being held at CSM this year! Loads of mining schools around the world compete at old mining techniques, being the only mining school in the UK we're Team GB of course :wink:. So yeah, there's lots going on.
Reply 12
Original post by schnapster
The lectures have been good so far - in the first term the modules covered a range of subjects, to act as a foundation really to bring everyone up to the same level - maths, geology, surveying and mining engineering (although as a geologist I didn't do the mining module, did chemistry instead). The first three are shared by the whole of CSM first year (miners, geologists and renewables). The material has all been pretty straightforward, especially if you've done sciency subjects like maths, geology and physics for A Level. Roughly 20 hours per week of lectures. The lecturers are all really friendly and approachable which is good.

Exams - there are 4 in January for the above first term modules (all next week, eek), I'm not sure how many the miners have in June (we do completely different modules to them in term 2) but I think it's probably around 3/4 again. Yup, exams are just in January and June, but there are coursework assignments set throughout the term for all the modules which will contribute some % to that module. We also have to do a 3 week Surveying field course after exams finish in June (that's mining engineers and geologists).

Social life is great! Falmouth may not have the nightlife of bigger towns/cities but it's so friendly and you'll always see people you know on a night out. It's great being part of CSM too because it's a bit like a big family - you'll get to know people from all years and there are often events and stuff run by the student association for everyone in CSM. Coming up this term we've got Crazy Week (basically Rag Week - doing crazy stuff to raise money for charity), the Bottle Match (various sports matches played against RSM at Imperial, second oldest varsity match in the world after Oxford-Cambridge boat race, and being held at CSM this year :biggrin: I'll be playing netball. It's meant to be a great weekend!) and also the International Mining Games Competition, which is also being held at CSM this year! Loads of mining schools around the world compete at old mining techniques, being the only mining school in the UK we're Team GB of course :wink:. So yeah, there's lots going on.

Hiya

I am a female Mature student with an offer to study Applied Geology at CSM starting this year.

I was wondering if you know yet if there are any opportunities for work placements in the summer as a Geologist through CSM? I have seen that the engineers at CSM have lots of oppotunity for such work placements, even in their first year, but wondered if there are opportunities too for us Geologists?

I am hoping to work in Australia after graduation, so the chance to get out there for a few weeks in the summer to get some experience would be really useful.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 13

Having done Maths, Physic and Geology at A level will I be in the same classes with everyone else even if they havent done these subjects. Also for Chemistry which I havent done to AS level, do the classes seperate?

Good luck with them!

Falmouth and CSM sound all great! Cant wait to go :biggrin:
Original post by NHAY86
Hiya

I am a female Mature student with an offer to study Applied Geology at CSM starting this year.

I was wondering if you know yet if there are any opportunities for work placements in the summer as a Geologist through CSM? I have seen that the engineers at CSM have lots of oppotunity for such work placements, even in their first year, but wondered if there are opportunities too for us Geologists?

I am hoping to work in Australia after graduation, so the chance to get out there for a few weeks in the summer to get some experience would be really useful.

Thanks for your help.

Hi :smile:

Congratulations on your offer!

Having spoken to my tutor about this, it does seem there are certainly opportunities for getting work experience in the summer after first year, although priority will generally be given to second years as they will have a lot more to offer a company really. I know quite a few Geology students in the older years who did work placements after their first year, and definitely somewhere like Australia where there is lots going on and a huge network of former students to contact. So yes, certainly plenty of opportunities, it just doesn't seem as common for geologists to choose to do work placements after their first year as mining engineers. Not really sure why.
Morkike
Having done Maths, Physic and Geology at A level will I be in the same classes with everyone else even if they havent done these subjects. Also for Chemistry which I havent done to AS level, do the classes seperate?

Those are the exact A Levels I did, great combination :biggrin:. But yes, you will be in the same lectures as everyone else - they don't do any kind of streaming based on your A Levels choices at CSM, besides offering extra workshops for those who didn't do a particular subject. It works out ok though, the lecturers more pretty swiftly so you don't really get bored, and there is quite a lot of content that wasn't covered at A Level.
You won't be doing the Chemistry module as a mining engineer (if you're looking at the modules list on the website/programme guide thing, that's out of date as the modules have changed a bit this year), apparently there is a bit of chemistry in the Mining and Minerals Engineering module but I think it's fairly basic...

Good luck with them!

Thanks! :smile:

Falmouth and CSM sound all great! Cant wait to go :biggrin:

Haha glad to hear it :biggrin: You won't be disappointed!
Reply 16
Original post by schnapster
Hi :smile:

Congratulations on your offer!

Having spoken to my tutor about this, it does seem there are certainly opportunities for getting work experience in the summer after first year, although priority will generally be given to second years as they will have a lot more to offer a company really. I know quite a few Geology students in the older years who did work placements after their first year, and definitely somewhere like Australia where there is lots going on and a huge network of former students to contact. So yes, certainly plenty of opportunities, it just doesn't seem as common for geologists to choose to do work placements after their first year as mining engineers. Not really sure why.

Thanks for your help! Being a Mature student, my family will be coming with me obviously, and over the past few days, we have been doing some research on the net and even spoken to Accommodation at Tremough and we are hoping to rent in the private sector down there, but it seems that finding private landlords in the area who aren't going through the letting agents are very hard to find down there.

Most of these letting agencies are very strict with their rules, and is becoming very prohibitive for us. For this reason I am having to, sadly review my other Universities that I have offers for, as it seems that renting around the Aberdeen area for example appears to be a little less prohibitive and there are alot more private ;landlords who don't use these restrictive agencies that the landlords appear to use, almost extensively in the Penryn/Falmouth/Truro areas. Its very sad, because Exeter and the CSM was definately my first choice.

So much for this Governments rantings about the unemployed travelling to other areas to find work! Its hard to find work if there are such constraints in an area on finding housing!!

Very frustrating!
I applied for Mining Engineering with a year of gold digging
Reply 18
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
I applied for Mining Engineering with a year of gold digging

???

Quick Reply

Latest