The Student Room Group

Bio unit 4 exam prep game

ok it seems to have been getting going it my chem thread of this, so i thought i would try it on here...

Rules
1. once you answer a qeustion you must then post a qeustoion
2. rule number 2.... there are no rules :P
3. try make them exam style qeustion and have a mark scheme in your head so you can tell them what they missed that would make them a perfect answer for the qeustion

ok

Q. outline the process in witch rubp is converted into TP (5 marks - and you can bullet piont)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is the Calvin Cycle. RuBP, a 5 carbon molecule, combines with CO2 to make 2 molecules of GP (3 carbon molecules). GP is reduced to TP. This uses reduced NADPH and ATP from the light-dependent stage. 1/6 of the TP formed is converted to organic molecules, e.g. glucose for use as respiratory substrate. 5/6 uses ATP from the light-dependent stage to reform RuBP.

Describe the advantages and disadvantages of using biological agents to control pests (5 marks)
Reply 2
that was a perfect answer lol. i think i even learned something there.... no prepare to see how i fale at biology....
Reply 3
Original post by SarahP~
This is the Calvin Cycle. RuBP, a 5 carbon molecule, combines with CO2 to make 2 molecules of GP (3 carbon molecules). GP is reduced to TP. This uses reduced NADPH and ATP from the light-dependent stage. 1/6 of the TP formed is converted to organic molecules, e.g. glucose for use as respiratory substrate. 5/6 uses ATP from the light-dependent stage to reform RuBP.

Describe the advantages and disadvantages of using biological agents to control pests (5 marks)

The advantages of using biological agents to control pests are that they are cheaper to source than chemical agents beacause they must only be bought once. Another andvantage is that they have little or no side effects to other animals, so are more selective. They are better than chemical agents beacause you do not get run off causing eutophication neither.
the disadvantages are that if they are not sourced locally they may become a pest themselfves by eating animals that are wantet within the ecosystem and therefore they may reduce biodeversity. another disadvantage is that they dont always take immediate effect.

ok i dont think that was 5 marks... but how did i do? (ill think of a qeustion....)
Reply 4
Original post by SarahP~

Advantages - the only need to be introduced once as they reproduce.
- one off payment as they dont need to be reintroduced like pesticide.
- they are very specific and only get rid of the chosen pest if done correctly

Disadvantages - they may become pests themselves
- may mess up the ecosystem and lead to biodiversity being reduced

What are the advantages of intensive farming? 3 marks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by chill543
The advantages of using biological agents to control pests are that they are cheaper to source than chemical agents beacause they must only be bought once. Another andvantage is that they have little or no side effects to other animals, so are more selective. They are better than chemical agents beacause you do not get run off causing eutophication neither.
the disadvantages are that if they are not sourced locally they may become a pest themselfves by eating animals that are wantet within the ecosystem and therefore they may reduce biodeversity. another disadvantage is that they dont always take immediate effect.

ok i dont think that was 5 marks... but how did i do? (ill think of a qeustion....)

Beat me to it! -_-

We got exactly the same point haaha :smile:
Reply 6

4/5 :smile: The mark scheme says:
Specific
Only needs 1 application/reproduces
Keeps/maintains low population
No resistance
No bioaccumulation
Can be used in organic farming
Doesn't completely eradicate pest
May become a pest itself
Slow acting

I've bolded the things you said :smile:
Reply 7
hmm i think i see were i loose marks now lol... just from that....

Increased food production within a smaller area. so better use of land.
more energy is transfered throught trophic levels.
makes it a cheaper for the consumer (humans).

Q. What is the Hardy Wineberg Princible (3 marks)
Reply 8
whey, this is getting kind of fun already!
Reply 9
Original post by eemooz

What are the advantages of intensive farming? 3 marks

The temperature is higher so less energy is lost in maintaining a high body temperature in birds/mammals. The diet can be controlled to maximise absorption, by using a diet high in protein, so less energy is lost as waste and more is used in tissues and therefore available to the next comsumer. Antibiotics can be added to the feed to reduce the risk of disease, so the organisms have higher survival chances, and to reduce the cost as antibiotics in the feed cost less than a vet would.

How does speciation occur? (5 marks)
Reply 10
looks like i need to revise speciation....
Reply 11
hmm i think i see were i loose marks now lol... just from that....

Increased food production within a smaller area. so better use of land.
more energy is transfered throught trophic levels.
makes it a cheaper for the consumer (humans).

Q. What is the Hardy Wineberg Princible (3 marks)

Original post by SarahP~
The temperature is higher so less energy is lost in maintaining a high body temperature in birds/mammals. The diet can be controlled to maximise absorption, by using a diet high in protein, so less energy is lost as waste and more is used in tissues and therefore available to the next comsumer. Antibiotics can be added to the feed to reduce the risk of disease, so the organisms have higher survival chances, and to reduce the cost as antibiotics in the feed cost less than a vet would.

you've both said what the other hasn't :tongue: but it was only three marks so full marks! :biggrin:

I need to revise speciation -_-
Reply 12
is this aqa...?
Reply 13
Original post by SarahP~

ok i got scared about its name but now i remeber what it truelly is.

- a single species inhabits one area.
- area is split by geagraphical isolation (be it lava flow of water drying up)
- diffrent climate conditions arise in the areas (e.g temp)
-alles are naturally selected for these new condition
- after hundreds of years gene pool is now diffrent
- the animals are no longer able to interbreed

How did i do??

Q. what is the hardy wineberg princible ( 3 marks)
Reply 14
Original post by rf229
is this aqa...?

erm well im doing AQA, i dont know about the others?
Reply 15
Original post by rf229
is this aqa...?

I believe so. :smile:

Q. what is the hardy wineberg princible ( 3 marks)

Allele frequency within a population stays the same from generation to generation.
Equation to work out allele frequency is
p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
and there are 5 assumptions to be made in order to use the equation:
-population is large
-there is no movement of organisms
-random mating occurs
-no gene mutation
-all genotypes have the same reproductive success

What is glycolysis and where in the cell does it take place? (3 marks)
Reply 17
Original post by orange.bananna
Allele frequency within a population stays the same from generation to generation.
p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
-population is large
-random mating occurs
-no gene mutation

Glycolyis is the conversion of glucose into two Pyruvate molecules, 2 Molecules of ATP are required for this conversion to take place, as it is phosphorylation. it takes place in the Cytoplasm {I believe}
Reply 18

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1
-population is large
-random mating occurs
-no gene mutation

Glycolysis is the conversion of Glucose in to Pyruvate. The glucose moecule is phosphorylated and then split in to 2- called glycerate3phosphate. (atp is needed to activate the glucose)
2 NADs are reduced and a phosphate group is added to each 3 carbon molecule. - Takers place in cytoplasm

A net gain of 2 ATP.

Bit difficult, but describe the process of anaerobic respiration (6 marks)
Original post by SarahP~

Sorry to interrupt the revision game but in the exam are we actually allowed to use "TP and "GP" instead of triose phosphate and glycerate phosphate? It would just save a lot of wrist ache (not that kind of wrist ache O.o ) but I hate thinking that I'm losing silly marks if I get a silly examiner who goes right by the mark scheme and thinks "she wrote GP not glycerate phosphate, 0 marks"...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending