The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Attracts 'rahs'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liverpool_x
They would be richer than Bill Gates in America..

So wait all the Digestives, Chocolate Digestive, HobNobs etc... All the money is going to the blonde haired guy? Loool

Chocolate digestives and tea is perfect though :L

We get a little fatter, he gets a little richer... :biggrin: Nooo its all about chocolate hobnobs in coffee. I'm so depressed about the lack of biscuits in my house now.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by bonjour_becky
We get a little fatter, he gets a little richer... :biggrin: Nooo its all about chocolate hobnobs in coffee. I'm so depressed about the lack of biscuits in my house now.

58 biscuits per second are eaten in the UK
I had a about 5 Chocloate digestives this morning (You can thank me later Jamie) :biggrin:

Thats so cool, their grandparents invented/own/ owned McVities and Quality Street :L
Reply 102
Seriously, does it really matter? How do people define the term "rah" anyway? Is it to do with an attitude or characteristics? By characteristics, I mean upbringing, accent and dress sense; if so, I am afraid that is inverted snobbery. All socio-economic groups have unpleasant people and you're just limiting yourself by something so trivial. If they are arrogant or obnoxious, can't you just avoid them? Not going to a university due to a large "rah" population is silly to be honest.
Reply 103
Original post by IB_19
Seriously, does it really matter? How do people define the term "rah" anyway? Is it to do with an attitude or characteristics? By characteristics, I mean upbringing, accent and dress sense; if so, I am afraid that is inverted snobbery. All socio-economic groups have unpleasant people and you're just limiting yourself by something so trivial. If they are arrogant or obnoxious, can't you just avoid them? Not going to a university due to a large "rah" population is silly to be honest.

Well said. I would have thought it was obvious that part of the advantage of a good university, which Nottingham is, was to mix with new people of all backgrounds. If you are going to say that you not like is because it has a lot of a certain type, then perhaps you had a better not go.
Reply 104
Original post by olddad
Well said. I would have thought it was obvious that part of the advantage of a good university, which Nottingham is, was to mix with new people of all backgrounds. If you are going to say that you not like is because it has a lot of a certain type, then perhaps you had a better not go.

Thanks. Exactly, an important part of university is to mix with people from different backgrounds. I can understand that it may be daunting for some being surrounded by people they're not used to, but that's life and you never know they could be pleasantly surprised. If people choose against a good university because of that, I think it's best that they reconsider their priorities!
More rahs at 'posh' (read silly middle class people thinking they're actually from any sort of lineage) halls like rutland, cripps and flobo. If you want to avoid rahs then go, dare i say it, off campus.
Original post by Hogwartz
LOL ikr. Mark's teeth is like a horses teeth :teeth: He just shows all of it, everytime he is speaking.

Did you see when they were doing that cupping on their backs?

And to TSR, i don't really watch made in chelsea :ninja:
It's a wannb version of The Hills.

the hills is just as bad in its own way
Reply 107
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
the hills is just as bad in its own way

You watch the hills? :teehee:
Original post by Hogwartz
You watch the hills? :teehee:

lol, I've seen just enough of it not to want any more.
Reply 109
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
lol, I've seen just enough of it not to want any more.

The thing that annoys me is I don't know which part is fake and which part is real.
Yes, Nottingham does a huge amont of Rah's. My friend who I consider a Rah (lives in a posh big house in the Home Counties, middle class background, attended a top public school, Father went to both Oxford and Cambrdige etc, etc.) said that sh didn't feel she'd fit in at Nottingham becuase and I quote ''ther are too many rah's''!!!! If she thinks there are too many rah's than Nott Uni must be FULL of Rah's!!
There are a substantial few, but it doesn't matter and they are far less annoying that the bloody Marxists and hipsters.
I visited my mate at Nottingham Uni and one of his flatmates was called Barclay!!! :eek:

Enough said!!!:biggrin:
Reply 113
its bull****
it has some but most arent
choose your friends like everyone does and thats it
Original post by OliverB123
I visited my mate at Nottingham Uni and one of his flatmates was called Barclay!!! :eek:

Lots of people have that surname, the Barclay family are not the only ones - there are even a number of wealthy Barclays who are unrelated to each other, for example the Barclay brothers who own the Telegraph have no connection with the banking family.

I was very envious reading in Vanity Fair a couple of years ago about Sophia Barclay (one of the heiresses of the banking family) who is about 20 and has vast wealth, leads a wonderful lifestyle, is very beautiful, etc. Sigh. Deep breath. There are lots of experiences she won't ever have, like worrying about her bank account for example haha.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by OliverB123

Original post by EllaService
Lots of people have that surname, the Barclay family are not the only ones - there are even a number of wealthy Barclays who are unrelated to each other, for example the Barclay brothers who own the Telegraph have no connection with the banking family.

I was very envious reading in Vanity Fair a couple of years ago about Sophia Barclay (one of the heiresses of the banking family) who is about 20 and has vast wealth, leads a wonderful lifestyle, is very beautiful, etc. Sigh. Deep breath. There are lots of experiences she won't ever have, like worrying about her bank account for example haha.

There is actually a guy called Barclay, as in it being his first name, in the year above me. I only remember it because I went to stay with a friend in another hall and saw a picture of last year's JCR and the president was called Barclay - not exactly a name you would forget!
Original post by EllaService

No, Barclay wasn't his surname, it was his first name!!!! :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending