The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am a student who is currently studying Economics at a reputable University, albeit not a top uni. For this reason I am opting to reapply, who do i convey this to you guys? Also, i recieved a D in GCSE drama, due to the fact i wasnt marked for the final exam, 50%, because my teacher was imcompetant and told me to do something which was worth no marks...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by University of Warwick

How is my academic profile?

A* Science A
A* Science B
A* Business studies I GCSE
A Maths
A History I GCSE
B Eng Language I GCSE
B Eng Literature
C PE
C Spanish

Completed the DOE bronze level
Completed a Procter and Gamble Learn to Lead programme
Work Experience at Al Shayah- Large FMCG compnay Saudi

VFifty Award
Attended the Bobby Charlton Soccer Academy.

A level- Math, Economics, History and Biology at AS

How do I compare to other successful candidates bearing in mind my A levels are all predicted A''s and A stars?
Reply 282
Original post by 082349
My friend goes to school in a country where there are A-levels but there are no AS levels and A*s. In that case, what kind of offer could she get if she is successful?

Thank you.

Hi,
if she emails the undergraduate admissions office ([email protected]) with some information about the country and exam board, we can give an indication of what a typical offer would look like.

Additionally, there is slightly more general information on the International Office's website (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/apply/qualifications) which we are looking to turn into departmental specific information at some point in the next few months.
Reply 283
Original post by Deep456
May I just ask, have you started rejecting people quickly aswell or is it just the speed of offers that are up on last year?

I ask this because I sent my application off a while back and have not received a response; so just trying to put it all into context.

Thanks.

Hi,
I actually don't have information on this. It's not something which I am able to access data on, as my system doesn't link deep enough into the admissions processing system.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a break at the university over Christmas, and we are now approaching the Jan 15th deadline, so I envisage January being a month when much of our outstanding applications are resolved.
Reply 284
Original post by H.H.P.C.
This must sound a very odd question but is it possible to study the module North America: Themes and Problems (AM102) in the first year as module 5 (option)?

It's not vital that I know, I just thought it looked very interesting.

Thank you.

Hi,
from our undergrad handbook it states

All first-year students registered for one of the degree courses in this Handbook have to select one optional module. The optional modules vary by degree course, but typically permit you to choose any first-year option offered by any Department in the University, provided you satisfy the prerequisites or other requirements for that module and there are places available.

Thus I would imagine you need permission from both CAS and the department of economics, but, in theory, yes.
Reply 285
Original post by Economic wannabe
Hi, I am a student who is currently studying Economics at a reputable University, albeit not a top uni. For this reason I am opting to reapply, who do i convey this to you guys? Also, i recieved a D in GCSE drama, due to the fact i wasnt marked for the final exam, 50%, because my teacher was imcompetant and told me to do something which was worth no marks...

Hi,
I would contact [email protected] for information on how you can submit a re-application. I would imagine UCAS have some information on this too, as, though your situation is not common, it's not incredibly rare either.
Reply 286
Original post by sadiqamaan
How is my academic profile?

A* Science A
A* Science B
A* Business studies I GCSE
A Maths
A History I GCSE
B Eng Language I GCSE
B Eng Literature
C PE
C Spanish

Completed the DOE bronze level
Completed a Procter and Gamble Learn to Lead programme
Work Experience at Al Shayah- Large FMCG compnay Saudi

VFifty Award
Attended the Bobby Charlton Soccer Academy.

A level- Math, Economics, History and Biology at AS

How do I compare to other successful candidates bearing in mind my A levels are all predicted A''s and A stars?

Hi,
I can't comment on academic profiles, because they make up just one aspect of an application to Warwick, and it's misleading to suggest that it's possible to compare one application to another without a full picture being presented.
Thankyou for your reply but have I dione enough to be considered an offer with the above in mind?
Hi,
I actually don't have information on this. It's not something which I am able to access data on, as my system doesn't link deep enough into the admissions processing system.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a break at the university over Christmas, and we are now approaching the Jan 15th deadline, so I envisage January being a month when much of our outstanding applications are resolved.

Thanks for the reply, can I just add is that an university-wide policy adopted by all the departments or is it just limited to the Economics one itself?
Reply 289
Hi,
if she emails the undergraduate admissions office ([email protected]) with some information about the country and exam board, we can give an indication of what a typical offer would look like.

Additionally, there is slightly more general information on the International Office's website (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/apply/qualifications) which we are looking to turn into departmental specific information at some point in the next few months.

Thank you. I'll tell her that.

Happy New Year!
Reply 290
Original post by sadiqamaan
Thankyou for your reply but have I dione enough to be considered an offer with the above in mind?

Hi,
as I said above, this is impossible to answer without a full application in front of me
Reply 291
Original post by Deep456
Thanks for the reply, can I just add is that an university-wide policy adopted by all the departments or is it just limited to the Economics one itself?

Hi,
I don't know which "policy" you are referring to. I don't think I specified one.
Reply 292
How many offers have been made as of yet?
Reply 293
Original post by funkydee
How many offers have been made as of yet?

Hi,
as I said a bit earlier in the thread

I do have figures..... but wouldn't want to give them out on the basis that

a) they don't mean anything without also knowing how many applications we've rejected / the number of applications made / how many offers we plan to make (which we wouldn't give out at this stage anyway)

b) on the basis of point a), putting out meaningless information will only ever give rise to mis-interpretation and false conclusions being drawn, which is not good for anyone to either hear or listen to.
Hi,
I don't know which "policy" you are referring to. I don't think I specified one.

As in, will the university as a whole give out more offers earlier (more quickly than they did last) or is this solely what the Economics department plans to do? This is all anecdotal and I might not have articulated it very well but basically, have all the tutors sat up and thought that it will be better to give out offers quicker (something that has been discussed amongst you all across all departments)? This is just relating to the corresponding stages from last year.

Sorry if I am being a bit particular. I understand that it is always best from the institution's point of view not to make any set promises as such but I am asking in broad, general terms.
Reply 295
Original post by Deep456
As in, will the university as a whole give out more offers earlier (more quickly than they did last) or is this solely what the Economics department plans to do? This is all anecdotal and I might not have articulated it very well but basically, have all the tutors sat up and thought that it will be better to give out offers quicker (something that has been discussed amongst you all across all departments)? This is just relating to the corresponding stages from last year.

Sorry if I am being a bit particular. I understand that it is always best from the institution's point of view not to make any set promises as such but I am asking in broad, general terms.

Sure. I only know about the Economics Department's policies, and can't speak for other departments.
Last year Warwick over-shot their admittance target of intake for Economics students
Does this mean they may possibly give out fewer offers last year
At the open day last year I heard they gave out so so many offers
Reply 297
Original post by therockandsock
Last year Warwick over-shot their admittance target of intake for Economics students
Does this mean they may possibly give out fewer offers last year
At the open day last year I heard they gave out so so many offers

Hi,
specifically for Home/EU students, the degree to which we overshot was very, very small last year, (as of the end of A-level results day, we had achieved our target perfectly), and hence not sufficient for us to consider this as anything more than small random variation.

However, the strategy we use for admissions is determined by more than simply what happened in the previous year, so figures relating to previous years may not necessarily correspond to what happens this year.
Is it worth sending any SAT scores to Warwick?

As a UK student who did A-Levels and GCSE's I did SAT's in my spare time and did alright in them.

Would Warwick see this in a negative light as taking SATs may indicate that you might apply to the US hence not serious about Uk application

or will they see this as a case of proactivity?

It probably has little weight but obviously I dont wanna send it if it will be a negative thing?
Reply 299
I have been given an offer to read Economics and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to the MORSE course. I have already fulfilled the requirements for both courses since I have completed the IB program with 41/45 and a 6 in Maths HL.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending