Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everybody around me is sick!!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do I stay healthy?? So far I'm pretty much staying in my well-ventilated room, drinking lots of lemon tea and eating oranges. Oh and taking Vitamin D and washing my hands every 5 minutes. What else? I feel like the jaws of this ungodly flu are closing down on me, helpp!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're doing most of it right. Citrus fruits will be giving you plenty of vitamin C, which can supposedly help the immune system. Washing your hands regularly is a good one. Just generally keeping your body in an optimum state will have you better prepared to right off anything that comes your way - eat good food, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water, the usual malarkey. Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mJOTpoqFw7Y8Ig
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're being paranoid, regular intakes of fruit, washing of hands and good nights sleep will be enough.

No need to wash your hands every 5 minutes. Every couple of hours is probably about right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take echinacea, you can get it from Holland & Barrett. Apparently it's known to boost the immune system
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wtf u ain't gnna die so grow da f*** up innit, its not gnna b end of work like isn't it yh ya get me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all! Will soldier on. I am embracing paranoia and def feel like Sheldon right now, my brother called me that when I gave him his lemsip with a scarf wrapped around my head earlier but I threatened to not make him dinner as well and he relented.

To the last poster, I suspect that was a typo, but it will indeed be the 'end of work' if I get this devil-flu, least for my exams in 4 days!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apricotblue)
    How do I stay healthy?? So far I'm pretty much staying in my well-ventilated room, drinking lots of lemon tea and eating oranges. Oh and taking Vitamin D and washing my hands every 5 minutes. What else? I feel like the jaws of this ungodly flu are closing down on me, helpp!
    Kill them all. They are weak and will only pull you down.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.coronene.com/blog/wp-cont...ad_kidjpg.jpeg
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Leave, and only come back when they're well. ('cito, longe, tarde')
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use alcohol handwash, don't touch your face, and try and keep at least a metre away from the infected. Also tell them to cough into their armpits. Do all this and you will probably be able to avoid it.
    If you're sharing cutlery though you could well be screwed.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I heard vitamin C is a myth...?
    But anyway, eat well, drink loads of water and in case you do get ill, drink as much water as you can, don't drink alcohol or smoke (if you do either anyway obviously) and get loads of sleep.
    Chances are if you're going to catch whatever they've got it'll be in your system already so you should just wait and see...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't touch your face, it will be hard though, I heard we touch our face like 18 times an hour or more? But unfortunately it'll catch up, if you've come into contact with people who've been ill recently, you could easily get it. As it takes a few days for your body's immune system to kick in and fight off the bacteria, it won't be immediate.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    :puke:
    Sorry OP, cyber flu got a hold of me....
    Hopefully people on TSR won't catch it...
    Spoiler:
    Show

On a serious note: if I remember correctly, the main ways to get sick are:
    -Through the eyes..don't rub them with dirty hands
    -your nose....don't let anything dirty go near there...keep it covered (airborne stuff)
    -your mouth-watch what you eat and blah
    -cuts on your body....keep them clean and covered/protected
    -exchange of fluid... I.e. snogging that guy you deny you like or having unprotected sexy time with him
    -lack of sleep... Boosts immune system if you sleep enough
    -lack of hygiene...obvious...wash yourself woman....
    -not much fluid, crappy unhealthy diet... You really think a healthy guy is more likely to get sick than one that isnt?
    -can't prove it but I think exercising and generally having a positive mindset I.e. don't let sickness depress you or whatever...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Don't touch your face, it will be hard though, I heard we touch our face like 18 times an hour or more? But unfortunately it'll catch up, if you've come into contact with people who've been ill recently, you could easily get it. As it takes a few days for your body's immune system to kick in and fight off the bacteria, it won't be immediate.
    I doubt that's true. Sometimes when I'm on my ****ing marathons, I don't touch anything for HOURS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrazyKro)
    I doubt that's true. Sometimes when I'm on my ****ing marathons, I don't touch anything for HOURS.
    Not even to wipe away sweat? How do you keep it out of your eyes?

And again, thanks for advice and words of encouragement! Am avoiding my father as he won't cover his mouth when he coughs. I read that your average cough travels 3 ft and a sneeze can go 14! :eek:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrazyKro)
    I believe it, it's really easy to touch your face, an itch, resting your head on your hand, brushing hair out of your face etc etc.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 13, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.