The Student Room Group

Bad driving instructors

Has anyone had a bad driving instructor past or present that they want to moan about.
Did they turn up for lessons late/not at all? Did they not teach you anything or take you round the same streets again and again? Did they cancel lessons at the last minute? etc
Share your experiences and warn people of dodgy instructors

Scroll to see replies

Mines very good. But I took mine with reference from other learners.
I personally had a great driving instructor, but my friend had a bad experience with one.
He's been learning to drive for year, and has yet to reverse!
His mum's paid for the lessons in advance so there's no getting out of it. :frown:
Reply 3
sylarfangirl
I personally had a great driving instructor, but my friend had a bad experience with one.
He's been learning to drive for year, and has yet to reverse!
His mum's paid for the lessons in advance so there's no getting out of it. :frown:

Holy **** lol, my instructor made me reverse on my first lesson :ahee:

(By acident, road was dead end lol)
My first instructor was a complete idiot. He would take me round the same couple of streets over and over again. I never learnt anything. Also he was "on holiday" every couple of weeks for i couldnt have a lesson half the time. At its worst, i had 1 lesson in 5 weeks. He even cancelled a lesson because it was raining a bit. He was a bit like that with my friend and her older sister but not as bad.
So i got rid of the robbing idiot and got another instructor.
When I was about ten my dad tried to teach me to drive in his Discovery... Then he tried to teach me to do racing starts and fool around on a skid pan :facepalm2:

Never get your dad to teach you to drive :no:
Reply 6
lol my dads an instructor and wohoo he is amazing!! a model and Yamile Aldama got lessons with himmm... he teaches famous people..!
My friend told me about his old instructor that used to text throughout lessons and take long toilet breaks, i'm guessing for no.2 :mmm:
My instructor was brilliant.

But three of my friends seem to have pretty bad instructors. One wasn't allowed to drive from home or back until about 15 lessons in (ie. he would drive her to a long wide road where she could practice). Another has ben learning with the same instructor for about 10 months and has only done 2 of the 4 maneuvers. And one other has had about 10 lessons and has only just been allowed to go into 3rd gear, she would actually have to go in 40 zones in 2nd.

Seems like I was lucky with my instructor!
My first instructor paid way too much attention to small details to the extent that they would literally tell me exactly what to do and it was often overwhelming, especially when they were getting worried with another vehicle being within 10 metres distance or so.
Thankfully my second instructor is much calmer, more relaxes, understands that mistakes will be made and I feel that I've made good progression or am making good progress :smile:
Reply 10
My first instructor used to take cigarette breaks way too often. He also was just a nasty person, i went home devoid of confidence after every lesson. He smoked my time, money & confidence away so i dropped him & got a much better instructor.
my instructor was the loveliest guy ever, after i failed i stopped charging me for lessons :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
My first instructor was a complete idiot. He would take me round the same couple of streets over and over again. I never learnt anything. Also he was "on holiday" every couple of weeks for i couldnt have a lesson half the time. At its worst, i had 1 lesson in 5 weeks. He even cancelled a lesson because it was raining a bit. He was a bit like that with my friend and her older sister but not as bad.
So i got rid of the robbing idiot and got another instructor.

My second one did this, and did the same bloody thing over and over again, but explained it in a hard way to understand. He was also very frosty which made me tense. He sat in silence half the time and barely explained anything :nn: Thank god he retired so noone else has to endure his petrol burning hell!
Original post by Ice Constricter
My friend told me about his old instructor that used to text throughout lessons and take long toilet breaks, i'm guessing for no.2 :mmm:

If I get an instructor that charges me for the time he takes to have a dump, I'll pay him with Early Learning Centre money.
Reply 14
my dad is teaching me, he is fully qualified, and has been driving for a good 30 years with the likes of lorrys, police cars etc, we have been fitting in lessons left right and center for a week and a half and im two weeks away from taking my test! I have learnt so much in such a short period of time so im very lucky really! , now just a case of getting the hang of reversing properly... gah! wish me luck!

oh by the way iv paid £115 for one months insurance so i can learn and it will no doubt see me through to passing my test... id deffinitely reccomend going down this route rather than pay endless money with instuctors who dont have a clue and who are taking your money for the same repeated lessons! x
My brother used to have some woman who would shout at him and slap his hands. After a number of months of using her, we find out that my dad's sister had the same instructor! Both changed instructers and passed happily :biggrin:
Reply 16
Mine was annoying -_-

We actually spent 2 hours looking for a Zebra crossing we could stop at!
After that it was only one hour lessons -_-

And he didn't want me to take a tesst about 30 lessons in when I was fairly competent because 'I still might crash his car' :tongue:
My auntie is a driving instructor, and I'm pretty sure some of the pupils are worse than the instructors. People come out in their pyjamas, don't pay, don't wash, cancel 10 minutes before the lesson, don't cancel and just don't turn up. The worst is when people buy 10 lessons then spread them out over 10 months and complain when they don't pass.

So, don't blame the instructor all the time. Although I'm sure there are ****ty ones too. It's strange hearing it from the other side.
I don't know if my instructor is trying to steal my money, he says i will need 40+ lessons before i should think about taking my test. But im an ok driving (i think so anyway) only had two 2 hour lessons though.
Original post by AmIDoingItRight
I don't know if my instructor is trying to steal my money, he says i will need 40+ lessons before i should think about taking my test. But im an ok driving (i think so anyway) only had two 2 hour lessons though.

That is pretty much average. 40 lessons in quick succession and you will probably pass your test. You can't really judge after 4 hours of driving. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending