The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by procrastination...
Yeah I'm ever so nervous too! I'm not 100% for Nottingham with the interview but Falmouth let you explain your portfolio and workbook apparently, so maybe that's the case for others. I hate talking about myself, especially in pressured conditions like that!

My Falmouth MNHP interview says they view your portfolio without you then you have a 10 minute talk about it later... guess it varies from course to course :smile:
Hi, i'm mark,
applied for...
-westminster
-Bristol UWE
-NUCA (Norwich)
-Bournemouth
-Nottingham trent

have an offer from bournemouth, declines from westminster and bristol and sent my portfolio to notttingham trent and have an interview at NUCA this month. how hard is nottingham trent and NUCA to get into in comparison to the others listed as I want more than one offer. here is my portfolio.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosparko/sets/72157628102769415/

does anyone else here have a portfolio they could share?
Reply 62
Wooo :smile: finally notthingham Trent want an e portfolio presentation and an interview from uwe, so excited/nervous! Any one know what I can expect to be asked in interview apart from the obvious stuff about the course ...?
Original post by markosparko1994
Hi, i'm mark,
applied for...
-westminster
-Bristol UWE
-NUCA (Norwich)
-Bournemouth
-Nottingham trent

have an offer from bournemouth, declines from westminster and bristol and sent my portfolio to notttingham trent and have an interview at NUCA this month. how hard is nottingham trent and NUCA to get into in comparison to the others listed as I want more than one offer. here is my portfolio.....http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosparko/sets/72157628102769415/

not sure abut NUCA, but i hear trent is quite competitive, i know two applied who imo are equally good, one got rejected, one has an interview so i guess it just depends. i was going to apply there but chose kingston instead.

this is the girl who got an interview http://www.flickr.com/photos/splitmilkphoto/

and this is mine if anyone has an helpful advice as not sure what to put in my portfolio yet and my first interview is on the 23rd (ignore the most recently uploaded personal stuff as I don't think I'll be including that) http://www.flickr.com/photos/camaraphoto/
Original post by rayray12310
not sure abut NUCA, but i hear trent is quite competitive, i know two applied who imo are equally good, one got rejected, one has an interview so i guess it just depends. i was going to apply there but chose kingston instead.

this is the girl who got an interview http://www.flickr.com/photos/splitmilkphoto/

and this is mine if anyone has an helpful advice as not sure what to put in my portfolio yet and my first interview is on the 23rd (ignore the most recently uploaded personal stuff as I don't think I'll be including that) http://www.flickr.com/photos/camaraphoto/

Those photos are very good, i don't really have any helpful advice as I haven't done too great but just tell the truth etc.
Reply 65
I've had my interview for Documentary Photography at Newport a couple of days ago which went great, Wesminster interview on Tuesday and just got invited for LCC interview in Feb but I'm gonna be in Kenya so hopefully can rearrange! Still nothing from Camberwell but I'm guessing something will happen soon with that.

I've been lazy with my ECA online portfolio which still isn't uploaded yet....Has anyone visited there? What did you think about the place/course etc?? I have no time to go check it out and everything seems to be going well with other uni's i'm getting reluctant to bother.

Ta
Reply 66
Im applying for Photography BA at
Brighton, Manchester met,
Blackpool, Nottingham trent, and Bournemouth
Any tips/advice on interviews etc?

And also, My ucas got sent off by my college on the 12th on January, how long did people wait to get the welcome letter from ucas to get their track number?

Thanks
Reply 67
Original post by :)fee
Wooo :smile: finally notthingham Trent want an e portfolio presentation and an interview from uwe, so excited/nervous! Any one know what I can expect to be asked in interview apart from the obvious stuff about the course ...?

How long do nottingham trent give you to do the e porfolio and how many pics etc?

questions they could ask,
why this course, what career do you want, favourite photographers and why....

Good luck by the way!
Reply 68
Original post by jessyrks
Im applying for Photography BA at
Brighton, Manchester met,
Blackpool, Nottingham trent, and Bournemouth
Any tips/advice on interviews etc?

And also, My ucas got sent off by my college on the 12th on January, how long did people wait to get the welcome letter from ucas to get their track number?

Thanks

Probably waited abut 5-7 days mate. You won't hear anything back from Uni's for at least a couple of weeks so don't worry about not having your track number yet.

In terms of interviews; most uni's just want to see what you're like as a person in my opinion. They need to know if you're going to suit the course. Just make sure you're well informed about current exhibitions/books, trends etc. Go in and talk passionately, but most importantly be yourself.

Make sure your portfolio is strong, only put in max 20 images that you feel confident about and could talk about any one of them if asked.

By the way Brighton is my hometown so i'd highly recommend going there if you get a place! Great town and brilliant Photography degree from what I hear. I just didn't apply 'cos it's too close to home.

Good luck mate.

L
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by louiegy
I've had my interview for Documentary Photography at Newport a couple of days ago which went great, Wesminster interview on Tuesday and just got invited for LCC interview in Feb but I'm gonna be in Kenya so hopefully can rearrange! Still nothing from Camberwell but I'm guessing something will happen soon with that.

I've been lazy with my ECA online portfolio which still isn't uploaded yet....Has anyone visited there? What did you think about the place/course etc?? I have no time to go check it out and everything seems to be going well with other uni's i'm getting reluctant to bother.

Ta

were you invited to interview at lcc by letter or email?
i don't think i'll get one as i haven't done a foundation but still kind of hoping.
Reply 70
Hi, I've applied to University of Gloucestershire, UCA Farnham and Arts University College Bournemouth to study BA general/editorial&advertising/photojournalism&doc. Photography.

I have an interview at UCA in April and the other 2 uni's have informed me they aren't looking through applications until the official UCAS deadline (which I think is around now...I sent mine off in Nov.)
Reply 71
Original post by jessyrks
How long do nottingham trent give you to do the e porfolio and how many pics etc?

questions they could ask,
why this course, what career do you want, favourite photographers and why....

Good luck by the way!

12 pictures and 2 weeks :smile: so i'm not too worried.
aww thank so much, thats helpful, aha thanks :biggrin: and you!
Hi, i'm mark,
applied for...
-westminster
-Bristol UWE
-NUCA (Norwich)
-Bournemouth
-Nottingham trent

Bournemouth want to interview me! Have you had an interview with them? How was it? Ahhh!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophie_gray/ this is me, not a portfolio as such, just a collection of photos
Reply 73
what cameras are you lot using, just out of interest :smile:?
Hello! I'm Damian from Poland :wink:

I applied for:

Fashion Photography - Falmouth(they've already asked me about portfolio)
Commercial Photography - Derby
Photography and Film - Edinbourgh Napier

I use Pentax k10d, Pentax ME Super and Kiev 60.
Reply 75
Hey, I'm George from Somerset....

I'm so happy that I found this thread, nice to be able to get advice and share experiences with people in exactly the same boat as you!

I'm applying to do BA Photography/Photographic Art at Falmouth, Glamorgan, Newport, Brighton and London College of Communication. I'm currently sorting my online portfolio for Falmouth, who want it by Friday. Image-wise I'm happy but am a little stuck with the whole 300 words part... any advice? Thanks :smile:
Original post by GHSGREED

Which university require this 300 words statement?
Reply 77
Hi, i'm mark,
applied for...
-westminster
-Bristol UWE
-NUCA (Norwich)
-Bournemouth
-Nottingham trent

Did Bournemouth interview you, if they did what was it like?

I don't know about the others but I've heard from my tutor, that nottingham can be quite difficult to get into as they dont offer alot of places, but dont let that put you off at an interview cuz everyones in the same boat, good luck! :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by louiegy
Probably waited abut 5-7 days mate. You won't hear anything back from Uni's for at least a couple of weeks so don't worry about not having your track number yet.

In terms of interviews; most uni's just want to see what you're like as a person in my opinion. They need to know if you're going to suit the course. Just make sure you're well informed about current exhibitions/books, trends etc. Go in and talk passionately, but most importantly be yourself.

Make sure your portfolio is strong, only put in max 20 images that you feel confident about and could talk about any one of them if asked.

By the way Brighton is my hometown so i'd highly recommend going there if you get a place! Great town and brilliant Photography degree from what I hear. I just didn't apply 'cos it's too close to home.

Good luck mate.

L

Thanks for the advice, yeah ive been to Brighton a couple of times n I loved it, fingers crossed it goes well i could be moving there!
Thanks again :smile:
Please, check out my portfolio and tell me, which photo should I discard? This is for Fashion Photography - Falmouth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damianmalicki

Quick Reply