The Student Room Group

Ship sinking: is "women first" moral/LEGAL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luceria
I understand children but not women. Only about 20 % that survived Titanic were men, and some were seen as cowards. Though some officers misunderstood the captain's orders, and tried to prevent men from getting in the lifeboats. It's been said that many British men were too polite when Titanic sank as well.

How much time you have probably matters. Which is logical enough. Titanic took almost three hours to sink. When Lusitania sank three years later in 1915, it took only about 20 minutes. It was every person for him or herself. Lusitania was torpedoed and the situation was different from Titanic, but time is still important. If you only have minutes, there is likely to be a lot more panic. In the end it's survival of the fittest. Most of the people who survived were young men and women.

It should never be expected. What that crew did was awful.

Men also make up the bulk of the casualties in wars.

I used to be against women being on the front line, but now I'm all for it.
Reply 21
I'd happily watch hordes of women, children, babies and whatever drown in the Atlantic to save my own skin.
Reply 22
Original post by Luceria
Yes. Many countries don't allow women being on the front lines. You hear about men being distracted by wounded women and so on. It's complicated. But if a person is fit for the job, they should be allowed to fight if they want to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Norway made conscription (close to one year ) mandatory for 18 year old girls in the near future. They already have to meet up for a mandatory military session. I got two letters from the Norwegian Armed Forces when I turned 18.

In the end, not all18-19 year olds get conscripted or stay for the full amount of time (30-40%). You also have to be fit enough etc. But it's only fair that girls get conscripted too.

Still can't believe you actually have conscription in a supposedly civilised country.
Because men have a 'clear advantage', we can survive the freezing temperatures of the north Atlantic because of our Nord abilities. I think you'll find every single man who stayed on the Titanic survived so shut the **** up.

In all seriousness either you are treated special and work in the kitchen or you are not. Simple as.
Reply 24
Original post by Jennie027
I wasn't implying they do. It is, in my opinion, a way of keeping order on a ship and having a procedure to evacuate. That doesn't mean I think it's right or wrong or that someone has more right to live over another person. Look at it the other way, what if a whole family survived over your whole family because we let havoc reap and organised it on a family based procedure. Surely you'd want some of your family to survive than none? I'm not on either side of the fence really, I'm just throwing ideas out there, as you seem to have a one track mind. If it was every man for himself, whose to say anyone would survive? At least the method they have in place now, right or wrong, works. To answer your question, I'm very close to my family and to lose any of them would be devastating, but to deny a whole family life would also be awful. I think the solution is to have a quicker yet organised procedure and to have enough lifeboats for everyone so whether on the same lifeboat or not everyone gets out. Like I said, I can see it both ways so if you want an argument you're not going to find it here. I can see your point of view as well as others.

OK then see it this way then; men and children first. Not so happy now are we?

As a man this would sicken me. Clearly your selfish; I really hope your not representative of the majority of women.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
This has actually annoyed me, sure I can understand children but not women. Genders are suppost to be equal now, it's great women getting equal pay etc.. But you have to take the negatives of being an equal aswell as the positives.
Original post by kate1212
This comes from the days when women were the weaker sex and needed protecting by the stronger, more powerful men. It seems a bit ridiculous to still be enforcing nowadays. It makes me quite angry actually.

Why does it make you quite angry?
Reply 27
Original post by AlmostChicGeek

Because it is direct and potentially fatal discrimination against a group of people - what's not to get angry about?

Original post by Idle
This has actually annoyed me, sure I can understand children but not women. Genders are suppost to be equal now, it's great women getting equal pay etc.. But you have to take the negatives of being an equal aswell as the positives.

Yes, this is exactly what I think. You have to take the rough with the smooth - you can't have equality and chivalry at the same time.
Reply 28
Original post by Rant
Still can't believe you actually have conscription in a supposedly civilised country.

There has been a lot of discussion about abolishing it (though I don't see it happening). Countries like Denmark, Finland and Switzerland have conscription too.
(edited 12 years ago)

Maybe because it's discrimination.
Original post by M_E_X
Because it is direct and potentially fatal discrimination against a group of people - what's not to get angry about?

Yes, this is exactly what I think. You have to take the rough with the smooth - you can't have equality and chivalry at the same time.

I didn't ask you, I understand why you are angry. :smile: I just was interested to see why a female was angry, as it could be seen as a 'good' thing for women.
Original post by el pollo diablo
Maybe because it's discrimination.

Against women you mean?

Would you see it as discrimination if a man offered to stay behind so women and children were saved?
Reply 32
Against women you mean?

Would you see it as discrimination if a man offered to stay behind so women and children were saved?

But that isn't what happened and as such is a totally pointless question.
Reply 33
Original post by M_E_X

Is this even legal? And is this morally correct? If I was a guy on that ship I would be pretty annoyed if I was being told I couldn't access a lifeboat because of my gender: that is pretty crazy actually.

Well, it's hard to think that there is anything moral about not allowing a person on a rescue boat because of his gender, especially with all this gender equality that's been going on (or is it just equality when it benefits women? :biggrin:) It's like not saving a person due to his/her colour.

Original post by Malefucius
it's supposed to be the gentlemanly thing to do. in dire situations like that, moral/legal considerations would hardly be on their minds imo.

I think that men should only be gentlemen when the women are deserving 'gentlewomen' themselves.

It is the chivalrous thing to do, in that kind of circumstance. Traditional values and all that.

Don't you know that feminists have killed off chivalry?

I can't say whether it is morally correct or not because I understand it is a controversial way to look at things given gender equality...

However if I was a man, I believe I would want women and children to go first, because they are seen as the most vulnerable.

I would say that I would definitely want children to go first, and then the reasons for women going first, at least those with children is reasonably self- explanatory. Although I understand why fathers would want to go too.

Would you deny a child entry on to a life boat for yourself?

Most of the male posters here say that children are the most important. The real debate is if women should really go before men. You say that if you were a man you'd put women & children first? LOL I bet you'd say that wouldn't you! :tongue:

I say children, then men & their children, then women & children, then men, then attractive women, the the rest of the women, but I know that these days it's likely to be a FFA.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GunnerBill
Women and Children first with the exception of:

Justin Bieber, Hazel Blears & Harriet Harman.

You horrible sexist, it is not 'Harriet Harman', it is 'Harriet Harsperson' you rapist

why wouldn't it?? It is a stupid rule that simply goes against equality and human rights. Children first, I get it. but this is simply unfair.
Reply 36

It seems unfair, to me, that men are expected in this situation to potentially give up their lives for women. It angers me that this 'tradition', for want of a better word, is accepted and still in place.
Reply 37
It's a ridiculous idea. Just because you're a man it doesn't mean you are going to be necessarily able bodied enough to survive.
Original post by Idle
But that isn't what happened and as such is a totally pointless question.

I don't see it as a pointless question, I see it as a facet of discussion, because I wondered what she thought was discrimination.

I.e was it actually being a rule that women should go first, or would she still feel it was discrimination if a man offered to stay of his own volition so that more woman could leave.

It hasn't gone completely off topic, but rather slightly changes the conditions of said topic to see if her answer is still the same. Personally I find it an interesting question :smile:

Some women feel that a man opening a door for them is discrimination, while others just see it as an act of good - a man opening a door for a woman doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't do it for a man. :smile:
Original post by kate1212
It seems unfair, to me, that men are expected in this situation to potentially give up their lives for women. It angers me that this 'tradition', for want of a better word, is accepted and still in place.

Okay fair enough that makes sense :smile: Does that mean if someone offered then you wouldn't be angry, because they aren't made to do it and it was their choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending