The Student Room Group

Ship sinking: is "women first" moral/LEGAL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Absolutely not. That's discrimination against people with a particular inborn trait (i.e. being male) which, in reality, is no better than telling black people (or white people) that they would have to wait to leave the boat last. Females are not better and do not deserve better than males; equality is to be preserved.
Reply 41
Women can't fend for themselves you see, so have to be treated with kid gloves.

These kind of stories make me so angry.
Reply 42
Original post by GameGod
Females are not better and do not deserve better than males; equality is to be preserved.

^THIS
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
It is the chivalrous thing to do, in that kind of circumstance. Traditional values and all that.

I can't say whether it is morally correct or not because I understand it is a controversial way to look at things given gender equality...

However if I was a man, I believe I would want women and children to go first, because they are seen as the most vulnerable.

I would say that I would definitely want children to go first, and then the reasons for women going first, at least those with children is reasonably self- explanatory. Although I understand why fathers would want to go too.

Would you deny a child entry on to a life boat for yourself?

:yes: Every man for himself ... literally.
Reply 44
Original post by Blue & Red Lights
You horrible sexist, it is not 'Harriet Harman', it is 'Harriet Harsperson' you rapist

lol :tongue:
Original post by kratos90
OK then see it this way then; men and children first. Not so happy now are we?

As a man this would sicken me. Clearly your selfish; I really hope your not representative of the majority of women.

That would be fine, at least my family would survive. None of this is ideal but I'd rather most of my family survive without me than we all die together. Please tell me how that makes me selfish? I really don't understand how from my reply you got that I'm selfish and want men to die, as that's really not the case. I just tried to open up more possibilities and ways of thinking about an idea instead of the one you portrayed. As I've previously mentioned, I can see your point of view which is valid and then you started behaving in this rather disrespectful manner.
Original post by Baller
Well, it's hard to think that there is anything moral about not allowing a person on a rescue boat because of his gender, especially with all this gender equality that's been going on (or is it just equality when it benefits women? :biggrin:) It's like not saving a person due to his/her colour.

I think that men should only be gentlemen when the women are deserving 'gentlewomen' themselves.

Most of the male posters here say that children are the most important. The real debate is if women should really go before men. You say that if you were a man you'd put women & children first? LOL I bet you'd say that wouldn't you! :tongue:

I say children, then men & their children, then women & children, then men, then attractive women, the the rest of the women, but I know that these days it's likely to be a FFA.

I didn't realise they had completely killed it off, but I understand your point. And yes I know it is easy for me to say :tongue: but I honestly believe I would.

It is interesting to see which would be put first in your argument, why should men and their children, and then women and theirs? If women and men are equal then they should go at the same time I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Against women you mean?

Would you see it as discrimination if a man offered to stay behind so women and children were saved?

How is it discrimination against women? It's discrimination against men. I may be female but I get annoyed at sexism directed at men just as much as when it's directed at women. Sexism is sexism.

And no to your second question - because it isn't forced. In that case someone is offering to stay behind so that someone else can go ahead. Completely different scenario.
Reply 48
Okay fair enough that makes sense :smile: Does that mean if someone offered then you wouldn't be angry, because they aren't made to do it and it was their choice?

Oh no. It's more the idea of men being forced to give up spaces on lifeboats etc that makes me angry. But if a man did offer I'd accept because I'd be terrified (and I'm a coward) but it goes against my morals because I don't believe I deserve to get off that boat any more than him.
Original post by Xristina
why wouldn't it?? It is a stupid rule that simply goes against equality and human rights. Children first, I get it. but this is simply unfair.

Fair enough I see your point. :smile:
Original post by interdental2011
:yes: Every man for himself ... literally.

Honestly? Fair enough, we differ on that point, I would definitely put a child before myself. :smile:
Original post by kratos90
OK then see it this way then; men and children first. Not so happy now are we?

As a man this would sicken me. Clearly your selfish; I really hope your not representative of the majority of women.

I wouldnt really call you a man
What a joke.

If I were on that ship I would have punched the guy in the face if he dared tell me I had to go last because of my gender.
Original post by el pollo diablo
How is it discrimination against women? It's discrimination against men. I may be female but I get annoyed at sexism directed at men just as much as when it's directed at women. Sexism is sexism.

And no to your second question - because it isn't forced. In that case someone is offering to stay behind so that someone else can go ahead. Completely different scenario.

Yes, but I felt it may be discrimination against women as people treat them as weaker than men, thats what it means to me I thought. :smile: Obviously it is discrimination against men too. :smile: Can be seen both ways.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Not sure where I stand with this to be fair.

Surely, as a general rule, men are a bit hardier and stronger swimmers? All the men in my family are fairly strong swimmers, but none of the women can swim for ****. :h:

How else would you order it anyway?
Original post by kate1212
Oh no. It's more the idea of men being forced to give up spaces on lifeboats etc that makes me angry. But if a man did offer I'd accept because I'd be terrified (and I'm a coward) but it goes against my morals because I don't believe I deserve to get off that boat any more than him.

Ah okay I see what you mean now. Still he wasn't obligated to offer, I think that would comfort me in that scenario.

I agree that men shouldn't be forced, now looking at it, I guess from the men I know most would offer so it didn't seem like a big deal. I see that now though.
Reply 56
Original post by Malefucius
it's supposed to be the gentlemanly thing to do. in dire situations like that, moral/legal considerations would hardly be on their minds imo.

If it's gentlemanly, it shouldn't be enforced. That way you can see who are the real 'gentlemen'. Of course, stigmatising men who aren't 'gentlemen' is fine, but somehow stigmatising women who aren't 'ladylike' is unacceptable :wink:

Yes, but I felt it may be discrimination against women as people treat them as weaker than men, thats what it means to me I thought. :smile: Obviously it is discrimination against men too. :smile: Can be seen both ways.

I think the group with the better grounds for claiming discrimination are the ones who are dead or were forced to swim...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
I didn't realise they had completely killed it off, but I understand your point. And yes I know it is easy for me to say :tongue: but I honestly believe I would.

It is interesting to see which would be put first in your argument, why should men and their children, and then women and theirs? If women and men are equal then they should go at the same time I suppose.

I don't think so. I say that the child would be the most important and the parent that can give the child the better upbringing should go first.

Although I now it's not very PC (and I might get a few negs for this :biggrin:), it's almost always the father that either 'brings the meat home' or 'brings more meat' than the mother and mothers usually are only more important when one is a child, while fathers are more important for the rest of the child's life, at least that was the case for me.

I always wondered what would happen to the women & children that were saved in the Titanic. I'm pretty sure that they'd be ****ed, and the child would be better off with the father. Yall know its true!

At the moment I'm quite dependent on my parents, and by that I actually mean my father. I think if most people really think about who actually helped them the most, it would be their father even though mothers tend to take the credit. It would be incredibly sad if my mother died, but I know that I'd be totally ****ed if something happened to my dad.

Also, isn't vulnerable another word for weaker? Why should we try to save the 'weaker' sex rather than us men?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hopple
If it's gentlemanly, it shouldn't be enforced. That way you can see who are the real 'gentlemen'. Of course, stigmatising men who aren't 'gentlemen' is fine, but somehow stigmatising women who aren't 'ladylike' is unacceptable :wink:

I think the group with the better grounds for claiming discrimination are the ones who are dead or were forced to swim...

They both are, and yes the men more so.
Reply 59
The really basic thinking behind it, aside from women being 'weaker' and more in need of protection, is that the loss of a woman's life is worse than the loss of a man's. This for the same reason as on a farm or something, where you only need one bull to every however many female cows. If you lose a woman you have lost a child-bearer. Obviously this is really, really dated!!!

To be honest I don't have that much of an opinion on this, I think the bigger issue is more efficient evacuation overall. However I do think children should be prioritised - they are much weaker and have their whole lives to live

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending