The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone here do fantasy stocks?
hey which course will give me a better chance at investment banking. Physics at Imperial or UCL? Or will their be negligible difference?
Original post by Jedbrien
hey which course will give me a better chance at investment banking. Physics at Imperial or UCL? Or will their be negligible difference?

Negligible difference. I know people doing Physics at both uni's with interviews/offers.
Reply 2423
hey guys, i was wondering if a degree from imperial college in eee is able to qualify one for investment banking/consultancy ? Please advise. Thanks
Original post by miyavvii

Original post by miyavvii
hey guys, i was wondering if a degree from imperial college in eee is able to qualify one for investment banking/consultancy ? Please advise. Thanks

Imperial is a target so that won't hold you back but won't guarantee you a spot either - you need to have all of the other aspects of your application (work exp, ECs, leadership etc) and perform well in interviews.
Hello all,

Sales/Trading is where I would like to be.
AAA - Maths, Further Math and Physics.
3rd year of MMath at a not so great uni, but I am considering graduating with a BSc and applying for MSc Mathematical Finance (or something similar) elsewhere.
Have quite extensive engineering type w.e but nothing relevant.

So I've got rejection after rejection from front office for summer internships.
Are my rejections to do with the uni I attend? Or are my CL/CV combination to blame?

I've been advised to treat mid office as a potential route into front, but
a) I find it difficult to think about applying to mid/back office when it isn't where I'd like to be (how to make a cover letter convincing when you're not convinced)

b) If I did apply, how well could I fair in an interview. In terms of the knowledge that I have being potentially elsewhere.

I am unsure about which options are best for me as obvs most banks only allow 1 application.
Would appreciate any advice!
Original post by ispeculate

Hello all,

Sales/Trading is where I would like to be.
AAA - Maths, Further Math and Physics.
3rd year of MMath at a not so great uni, but I am considering graduating with a BSc and applying for MSc Mathematical Finance (or something similar) elsewhere.
Have quite extensive engineering type w.e but nothing relevant.

So I've got rejection after rejection from front office for summer internships.
Are my rejections to do with the uni I attend? Or are my CL/CV combination to blame?

I've been advised to treat mid office as a potential route into front, but
a) I find it difficult to think about applying to mid/back office when it isn't where I'd like to be (how to make a cover letter convincing when you're not convinced)

b) If I did apply, how well could I fair in an interview. In terms of the knowledge that I have being potentially elsewhere.

I am unsure about which options are best for me as obvs most banks only allow 1 application.
Would appreciate any advice!

Hey, your A levels are good - is there a reason for not attending a top uni?

And I doubt you would get rejected just from just your uni so it must be something to do with CV/CL as well. Did you make it to the interview stage?

And yeah that's smart to avoid the mid office route if it's something you're not interested in. It's rare for someone to move into the FO anyway so I wouldn't use that as a guarantee.

If I were in your shoes I'd take the BSc from your uni, then apply for a MSc at a target (try and get a strong 2.1 or a first and all the rest). Then you will be able to network well at the target and apply for internships again and you should see better luck.
Original post by The_Don_123
Hey, your A levels are good - is there a reason for not attending a top uni?

And I doubt you would get rejected just from just your uni so it must be something to do with CV/CL as well. Did you make it to the interview stage?

And yeah that's smart to avoid the mid office route if it's something you're not interested in. It's rare for someone to move into the FO anyway so I wouldn't use that as a guarantee.

If I were in your shoes I'd take the BSc from your uni, then apply for a MSc at a target (try and get a strong 2.1 or a first and all the rest). Then you will be able to network well at the target and apply for internships again and you should see better luck.

Firstly, thank you very much for the advice!

The reason I ended up here is mostly a lack of preparation for the STEP papers which made me miss my first choice (warwick). I chose here as my second choice as it's just a city I really like and I was afflicted by the "I am the same person so the university I attend shouldn't affect my chances" illusion.

I haven't had a single internship interview (gutted as I saw this as a possible time to shine), always a been rejected after the testing stage. I've only been shortlisted for AC etc with RBS afaik. But every time I go to my uni career centre they tell me to change something on my CV/CL and then back again the next time I visit!
That's only rejections from around 15 banks though - I realise that this isn't that many as I should expect a lot of rejections, but I am hesitant to use all my applications on front office if all I will get is rejection without interview!

I think the MSc route is a strong one, this does give me the chance of a target uni + studying material I'm more interested in (rather than just straight maths).
My only barrier then is that I am confident at the end of the MMath I can graduate with a 1st. But I think I might only manage a 2.1 at the end of this year (due to illness and mixed results last year).

Am I still better to take the 2.1? Plus I still have the problemof what to apply for in terms for an internship for this summer, MO intern then apply for FO grad from my MSc uni perhaps? As I think I'd rather have somthing rather than nothing for some experience and I could only apply for grad places during an MSc as I would be in my final year, unless I am mistaken.

Sorry for the long post and thanks again.

Firstly, thank you very much for the advice!

The reason I ended up here is mostly a lack of preparation for the STEP papers which made me miss my first choice (warwick). I chose here as my second choice as it's just a city I really like and I was afflicted by the "I am the same person so the university I attend shouldn't affect my chances" illusion.

I haven't had a single internship interview (gutted as I saw this as a possible time to shine), always a been rejected after the testing stage. I've only been shortlisted for AC etc with RBS afaik. But every time I go to my uni career centre they tell me to change something on my CV/CL and then back again the next time I visit!
That's only rejections from around 15 banks though - I realise that this isn't that many as I should expect a lot of rejections, but I am hesitant to use all my applications on front office if all I will get is rejection without interview!

I think the MSc route is a strong one, this does give me the chance of a target uni + studying material I'm more interested in (rather than just straight maths).
My only barrier then is that I am confident at the end of the MMath I can graduate with a 1st. But I think I might only manage a 2.1 at the end of this year (due to illness and mixed results last year).

Am I still better to take the 2.1? Plus I still have the problemof what to apply for in terms for an internship for this summer, MO intern then apply for FO grad from my MSc uni perhaps? As I think I'd rather have somthing rather than nothing for some experience and I could only apply for grad places during an MSc as I would be in my final year, unless I am mistaken.

Sorry for the long post and thanks again.

Hey, no problem at all - glad to help!

Tbh, from my experience, careers centres can be absolutely **** so I wouldn't trust them completely with your CV/CL. You just want to split it into Education/Work Exp/Leadership/ECs and stick to a page.

Perhaps you could try some smaller places? I don't know much on the S&T side as I'm more into IBD but smaller shops like Evolution Securities? Make sure your numerical skills are sharp as it's a waste to fail on the numerical tests.

Will it be a high 2.1? If it was me, my main priority would be to get to a target uni as the rebranding would really help, but I'm just a student myself so I can't offer extensive advice on that!

Make sure you are getting involved at uni, stuff like leadership positions in societies or departments can really help beef up your CV, do you have any previous work experience?

And yeah, if you're getting rejection after rejection I'd try to go for a BO/MO role for an internship (you'd have to blag the interviews though) and then network like a boss during that Summer to give you the best chance for another Summer internship in FO or a grad role. I wouldn't accept the FT offer for BO/MO though.

Some (most?) banks allow you to apply for internships when you're in your final year so I'd definitely go down that route, especially if you haven't worked in S&T before.

Finally, the best piece of advice - Network. As long as you are at a half decent uni there most likely WILL be a few alumni in the city. Go to your careers centre and see if they have an alumni database and contact EVERYONE related to what you want to do. Build some relationships so people like you and will want to help you. Also, hit up Linkedin and search for people from your uni and reach out to all of them. It will help a lot trust me!

Just to clarify - when you have applied for internships you have been a penultimate/final year right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The_Don_123
Hey, no problem at all - glad to help!

Tbh, from my experience, careers centres can be absolutely **** so I wouldn't trust them completely with your CV/CL. You just want to split it into Education/Work Exp/Leadership/ECs and stick to a page.

Perhaps you could try some smaller places? I don't know much on the S&T side as I'm more into IBD but smaller shops like Evolution Securities? Make sure your numerical skills are sharp as it's a waste to fail on the numerical tests.

Will it be a high 2.1? If it was me, my main priority would be to get to a target uni as the rebranding would really help, but I'm just a student myself so I can't offer extensive advice on that!

Make sure you are getting involved at uni, stuff like leadership positions in societies or departments can really help beef up your CV, do you have any previous work experience?

And yeah, if you're getting rejection after rejection I'd try to go for a BO/MO role for an internship (you'd have to blag the interviews though) and then network like a boss during that Summer to give you the best chance for another Summer internship in FO or a grad role. I wouldn't accept the FT offer for BO/MO though.

Some (most?) banks allow you to apply for internships when you're in your final year so I'd definitely go down that route, especially if you haven't worked in S&T before.

Finally, the best piece of advice - Network. As long as you are at a half decent uni there most likely WILL be a few alumni in the city. Go to your careers centre and see if they have an alumni database and contact EVERYONE related to what you want to do. Build some relationships so people like you and will want to help you. Also, hit up Linkedin and search for people from your uni and reach out to all of them. It will help a lot trust me!

Just to clarify - when you have applied for internships you have been a penultimate/final year right?

I suspected as much. I already find it hard enough to really project my passion for the industry on paper. Just seems that whatever I write sincerely can just as easily appear on a cv of any of the "I want to be a trader to earn loads of money" lot. Apart from actually displaying a little knowledge I guess.

That is good advice, thanks I'll try looking through some smaller places. Although won't deadlines have passed for most by now for internship applications? That is true, people assume that Maths keeps your numerical skills sharp, but at uni I would argue quite the opposite! Not half as quick at mental arithmetic etc as I was, probably even back at GCSE!

Unfortunately I can only guess in terms of my results as I have a lot of work to do to turn last year around. All I know is that to pull my grade up to a first in this year alone, I have to average considerably better than I would have to if I could average over years 3 & 4 to get a first at the end of next year. I guess I will have a much better idea once I get my Jan exam results. But if I had the choice I think an MSc at a more impressive uni, would be more beneficial & enjoyable for me.

Work experience wise - I've done lots of jobs but they're mostly the common (tutoring, fruit and veg market, coffee shop, painter and decorator) type. I've got nothing relevant apart from a really small finance related week at a non financial company during my GCSEs. The only thing I have that is worthy to talk about is the project based engineering type job, that I mentioned in my first post, which I started doing during summers when I was 16 and have since worked my way up a bit.

Perhaps I could send FO apps to a few 2nd tier banks then hit up the rest with MO/BO applications. I do feel like I'll be found out in an interview environment as soon as I start speaking though :s-smilie:

I will double up my efforts in networking, although I've had a mixed response from some alumni at top banks. A surprising (and rather soul crushing) amount of "You don't stand a chance from here, give up" responses. Not that they've affected my determination.

All my internship applications have been 2nd/Pen year applications. I think that is what is stipulated by most of the places that I've applied?

You've given me some really good advice and things to concentrate on, thank you.
I really do appreciate your input!
Hey

My A Levels: A*A*B Maths, Geography, Physics respectivly
My Degree: MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering (Aiming for a 1st and so far on track to do it.)
University: University of Nottingham
Extra Curricular: Hall Treasurer, University of Nottingham Undergrad Equity Fund, Rugby (Playing and refing), Small buisness owner.

Will I be good enough?
I want to be in hedge fund managment!
I'm in the process of applying for spring internships.

(Also, thinking about doing a PhD, is this a good or bad decision?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jeester
Hey

My A Levels: A*A*B Maths, Geography, Physics respectivly
My Degree: MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering (Aiming for a 1st and so far on track to do it.)
University: University of Nottingham
Extra Curricular: Hall Treasurer, University of Nottingham Undergrad Equity Fund, Rugby (Playing and refing), Small buisness owner.

Will I be good enough?
I want to be in hedge fund managment!
I'm in the process of applying for spring internships.

(Also, thinking about doing a PhD, is this a good or bad decision?)

Jeheezus could we be any less similar in profile...
Original post by ebam_uk
Jeheezus could we be any less similar in profile...

I got all excited that someone was going to give me advice! Daaamn. Do you mean profile as in all round? Is it just the Engineering and Matched betting that is similar? Or are we like Bro's from different Mo's?
Original post by Jeester
I got all excited that someone was going to give me advice! Daaamn. Do you mean profile as in all round? Is it just the Engineering and Matched betting that is similar? Or are we like Bro's from different Mo's?

Well I am a Civil Engineer for starters

Advice is simple just make sure you can show your interest in banking ( president of investment cluby) our engineering skills are relevant because unlike financiers ( Economists, A&F etc), we got advanced modelling skills from our degrees, So we have a good chance of S&T (particularly trading & of course IBD assuming you get to grips with valuation, DCF etc.
Original post by ebam_uk
Well I am a Civil Engineer for starters

Advice is simple just make sure you can show your interest in banking ( president of investment cluby) our engineering skills are relevant because unlike financiers ( Economists, A&F etc), we got advanced modelling skills from our degrees, So we have a good chance of S&T (particularly trading & of course IBD assuming you get to grips with valuation, DCF etc.

What are your thoughts on doing a PhD? (I want to be a docter at some point in my life.)
Do you think the BB IBs would fund my PhD if I did research for them?
Original post by Jeester
What are your thoughts on doing a PhD? (I want to be a docter at some point in my life.)
Do you think the BB IBs would fund my PhD if I did research for them?

Hmmm, engineering companies definitely fund PhD's so you might wanna just get a standard Civil Engineering, if you wanna do a PhD thru that route.

But one thing is that you gotta signal to the bank ie, ask get some contacts Barclays directly maybe in their Quant part because its full of PhD's pretty much, so once you have the relationship built with the bank. You can just arrange off-cycle internships with them and effectively you have a working relatonship.

( I'm not sure if the banks have a specific scheme) but most of it is just calling up HR and organising oppurtunities yourself and getting yourself noticed. Use LinkedIN etc...
Original post by saks10111

Original post by saks10111
Okay this is something that's really worrying me. I'm international and for some reason, my stupid school doesn't offer Economics as an A level, so I had to take Business Studies instead, which I now know is 'non-preferred'. Apart from that, I have good grades and I was lucky enough to get an offer from LSE for Economics and Economic History. I worried myself sick about this throughout the UCAS process, given that I was applying for Economics-related courses, and am so grateful that universities have looked past this ill-informed decision. I believe I have the potential to do well in this field, but will my choice of Business Studies (and lack of the Economics A level) haunt me and ruin my chances of securing spring week internships? Sorry if this sounds dramatic lol, I have no idea what the application process involves, but I'm guessing since you're only in your first year of uni, you will have to list your A level subjects and grades too. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Edit: I love how I was negged for this :s-smilie: Sorry for asking a question about my subjects profile not being good enough on the "Am I good enough for IB/Consultancy thread".

to put it simply no ... if you already have an offer from LSE youve got your foot in the door for getting internships and the like, LSE is easily one of if not the most respected institution in Britain for this and being in london is just another bonus ... having business studies instead of economics at this point is mute and i highly doubt it'd make any difference so dont worry on it :smile: well done for LSE btw i had several friends get rejected from there!
Reply 2437
hey guys i wonder if i study geology in imperial, will i get any chance of getting a IB job?
Also, if my undergrad is geology in imperial, what master programs do you suggest me to pursue?
In order to work in an IB?
Reply 2438
Hi, I've very recently become interested in IB as a career and as such lack the extra curricular sort of things that most of you have but I would be keen to start if you think I've got a good enough qualification set up to make it in this competitive field.

I study Physics, Maths, and Philosophy at A2 level with an AS in Further Maths and Graphics, I'm predicted to get A*A*Aaa respectively, with an A in my physics based EPQ.

If I achieve these grades I'll be going to Warwick to study Physics MSci and plan to take a lot of economics modules along side the physics course. I chose physics partly because of my interest in it but also because a large proportion of physics grads (something like 20%) seem to go into banking and I know Warwick is reputable in the financial sector.

If you think I've got a good start, albeit if I'm a bit late, I'd be really keen to begin reading around the subject and focusing more on IB as a definite career path. I'd like to think I have the option in case I'm sick of physics by the time I have to think about a PhD.
Reply 2439
Hi people. I have no knowledge of consultancy and just wanted some feedback, on if my profile could attain a position in management or strategy consultancy. I'm about to finish my degree with a 1st, and I have a masters offer from kings and still awaiting news from Cambridge...although its more likely I'll end up at KCL, so I'll use that as my profile...

BA International Business (on track for a 1st class)
MSc International Management - King's College London

Chances of getting into the top consultancies? (I've heard they only take people from the "top 6") May I add, my choice of destination to work would be Istanbul (if it makes any difference...)

Thanks (please quote me if you reply)

Quick Reply