The Student Room Group

OCR F321 January 13th 2012 Draft Mark Scheme

Thanks to AladdinSane94 who kindly uploaded the paper. I have gone through all the questions and answered them as best as I could, but please don't take this as a 100% accurate mark scheme it is a draft. There are bound to be mistakes, differences in opinion etc. please post if you have any suggestions. I am only a student, so if any teachers are able to scan through this to check for accuracy it would be much appreciated, any comments welcome.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1 (b) (ii) Not sure "Iodine is toxic" is sufficient, id expect answers to be somthing more along the lines of ethical issues.

2 (b) Its a carbonate but it is not MgCO3, we know that its a calcium solid so its Calcium Carbonate CaCO3

2 (e) Anybody else feel that this question was possibly the worst ever seen on a paper, its so subjective. The answer could just as easily be "because he was blind" or "because he didnt study chemistry"

3 (a) (i) You may lose marks for using the term "holding", orbitals dont hold 2 electrons they are simply the region were they are located.
Reply 2
Ok, MS updated.

Any more comments much appreciated - this is a work in progress.
(edited 12 years ago)
Pretty good nice work, for 4b the relative bond strengths probably need to be mentioned 1000, 50 etc though I definitely forgot to say that!
iOS this for OCR A?
Reply 5
Original post by Alex Bampton
Pretty good nice work, for 4b the relative bond strengths probably need to be mentioned 1000, 50 etc though I definitely forgot to say that!

Will add those in now, thanks for the suggestion.
Reply 6
Original post by ieatcheeseyo
iOS this for OCR A?

Yes, this is for the F321 paper.
Original post by james1234190
Yes, this is for the F321 paper.

Ok cheers, I done OCR B Salters

I was like... "Got that one wrong then...and that one"
Then I realised :L
Reply 8
Original post by ieatcheeseyo
Ok cheers, I done OCR B Salters

I was like... "Got that one wrong then...and that one"
Then I realised :L

:smile: Hope your exam went well.
Reply 9
wouldn't NaClO name be bleach? :frown:
Reply 10
for the KI one at the start it said about the radioactive isotope, so I put it could contain that isotope?! is that a stupid answer? :')
Reply 11
Original post by james1234190
Ok, MS updated.

Any more comments much appreciated - this is a work in progress.

Thanks:smile: would they accept hydrogen as weak van der waals cause they are present in everything?
i think h20 is an open latice because they asked specifically about ice
Reply 13
for 4c) the Mr of potassium is 39.1 not 39.2 so I think the answer is 72.00 cm3
Reply 14
Original post by inspiredideas
i think h20 is an open latice because they asked specifically about ice

so will they not accept weak van der waals?
i think they wanted hydrogen bonds but im not an expert
Reply 16
i think they wanted hydrogen bonds but im not an expert

and for suggest one i said unhealthy can cause cardiovascular diseases ?
i completely guessed that one i put iodine is poisonous maybe they wanted something about how pottasium reacts with water ?
Reply 18
i completely guessed that one i put iodine is poisonous maybe they wanted something about how pottasium reacts with water ?

if you get marks between 38- 43/44 is there a possible of an A grade cause JAN 2011 WAS 44 AND THIS HAD MORE CHALLEGNING QUESTION S?
Reply 19
Original post by elanor95
wouldn't NaClO name be bleach? :frown:

Quite possibly, I thought that question was somewhat ambiguous as to whether they wanted the systematic, or common name. I will add to the mark scheme though, that is a valid answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending