The Student Room Group

Brighton and Chichester Uni Primary Education Interviews

Hi,
I've applied for primary education courses at Brighton and Chichester Uni's and I got interviews at both so I hoped someone would be able to give me some tips about what we'll have to do?? Either from past experience or if you've already had your interview this year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone???? Anyone at all?
Reply 2
Yes, I am....to both funnily enough!
Reply 3
I have got my interivew for Chichester on the 25th of this month and Brighton on the 1 Feb
Reply 4
Good luck with those!! Mine are the 11th for Brighton and the 18th for Chichester!! :s-smilie: Scary!!!
There doesn't seem to be anyone out there who can offer any advice about either place's interviews, so I'll post to let you know what they were like - might help you out :smile:
I was really hoping someone might be out there with advice but no one's replying to me with any help :frown:
You been able to find out anything helpful??
Reply 5
Hello! I have my Brighton Interview on the 18th of january, as i could not make the one on the 11th as had my interview at Manchester ! Any tips for next week ? xx
Reply 6
I've got an interview on Wednesday (18th) :smile: x
Reply 7
Okay, Brighton interview is pretty laid back - not formal at all.

First off you go to the atrium in the Checkland building and around 10.15 and there are people at the desk who take your name, original and photocopy of your ID (take your own photocopy because they don't do them for you!), and look at your certificates and check the grades against the qualifications form you will have filled in.

Next you are given the opportunity to go on a campus tour and an accommodation tour - because they are having building work done the campus tour is really short, I didn't do the accommodation tour so don't now what that's like. You don't have to do the tours - go prepared to hang around ALOT because nothing else happens until about 11.30 so take a book or something

After that you will be taken downstairs to a room for the course presentation which is done by the people who took your certificates - I should have said before, these are the admissions tutors so they decide if you get in or not, so make a good impression is you can. The talk lasts for about an hour - I recommend you take a note pad because they've changed some of the course aspects.

After the presentation you do a written test. This is 30 mins long and is more about the quality of your written communication, spelling, handwriting, etc than your actual opinion on the topic. I think they are do the same topic for everyone - I had stuff about the age that children start school and whether its too soon.

Then you have an hour for lunch - I don't recommend the canteen - the food smelt terrible - and the cafe was quite pricey but very nice and there's Costa which was good - a nerve-calming coffee! Basically a packed lunch might be best and then you can buy a little something if you want.

Next is the group task - you will have already been given your groups and the rooms to go to. When you are there you get asked to put statements about aspects of teaching in order or importance. They're pretty obvious but make sure you get your voice heard but emphasise team work too - this is what they're looking for.

Then comes some more waiting for the individual interviews. They seem to be asking about education in the news, qualities that would make you a good teacher, what you learnt from your work experience - they don't guide you very much on what to talk about specifically, that's down to you.

Then you can go home!!

Hope it all goes well, if you need more info just ask and I'll try to help!!
Reply 8
Original post by Jem_x
I've got an interview on Wednesday (18th) :smile: x

Is that for Brighton or Chichester?? If its Chichester then I might see you there :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bloo_92
Okay, Brighton interview is pretty laid back - not formal at all.

First off you go to the atrium in the Checkland building and around 10.15 and there are people at the desk who take your name, original and photocopy of your ID (take your own photocopy because they don't do them for you!), and look at your certificates and check the grades against the qualifications form you will have filled in.

Next you are given the opportunity to go on a campus tour and an accommodation tour - because they are having building work done the campus tour is really short, I didn't do the accommodation tour so don't now what that's like. You don't have to do the tours - go prepared to hang around ALOT because nothing else happens until about 11.30 so take a book or something

After that you will be taken downstairs to a room for the course presentation which is done by the people who took your certificates - I should have said before, these are the admissions tutors so they decide if you get in or not, so make a good impression is you can. The talk lasts for about an hour - I recommend you take a note pad because they've changed some of the course aspects.

After the presentation you do a written test. This is 30 mins long and is more about the quality of your written communication, spelling, handwriting, etc than your actual opinion on the topic. I think they are do the same topic for everyone - I had stuff about the age that children start school and whether its too soon.

Then you have an hour for lunch - I don't recommend the canteen - the food smelt terrible - and the cafe was quite pricey but very nice and there's Costa which was good - a nerve-calming coffee! Basically a packed lunch might be best and then you can buy a little something if you want.

Next is the group task - you will have already been given your groups and the rooms to go to. When you are there you get asked to put statements about aspects of teaching in order or importance. They're pretty obvious but make sure you get your voice heard but emphasise team work too - this is what they're looking for.

Then comes some more waiting for the individual interviews. They seem to be asking about education in the news, qualities that would make you a good teacher, what you learnt from your work experience - they don't guide you very much on what to talk about specifically, that's down to you.

Then you can go home!!

Hope it all goes well, if you need more info just ask and I'll try to help!!

Thank-you for that, it really helped calm my nerves a bit for Wednesday!
Just a few things - can parents stay with you for all of it apart from the obvious written task, group task, individual differences? And also, do you know if there is anywhere to park near the Uni?

Thanks xx
Reply 10
Parents or friends can stay for the campus tours and course talk then that's it apart from lunch.
parking is no where near it but they do a bus but I don't know anything about it I'm afraid
Reply 11
I have an interview for chichester too :smile: its on the 1st of feb! Is yours paired too?

I wonder what there going to ask and the tests we have to do!

Alice x
Reply 12
Yeah, there all paired.
You get a mystery object to match to the curriculum. And all the normal questions about why you want to be a teacher. I found that the just ask you questions about what you say and said in your personal statement - as long as you don't fib about things you've done or know you wont get caught out - i pretty much steered our conversation in the interview - good luck!
Reply 13
Hiya, yeaa you have described the day really well, i got asked questions at brighton about the difference of the privaste and state schools, and about how people wiuth disablilites would effect the way to teach class, he asked me why i would chose brighton and why should brighton chose me, and i have heard they put people on the spot like .. what would you do in a lesson of space ? or like a certain subject. Hope this helps !
Ps has anyone heard back who has had there yet?
and has anyone had the interview at liverpool john moores
x
Reply 14
Hi the chichester interview went really well! i got an offer today!!!!!

the morning we had a simple maths test! dont worry about ti at all! Then after we had to do an essay on teaching etc. You will have a dif topic but it will still be an essay!

Then we had our paired interview in the afternoon. mine was actually a group of 3 (odd number of us) and although the guy who interviewed us was a bit grumpy and sarcastic it went so well.

Please dont worry and relax!

Good luck!

Alice x
I've got an interview for Brighton on 7th March. I'm absolutely bricking it but now reading this I'm a bit calmer thank you haha..I hate not knowing what to expect and how to answer correctly. :/
Reply 16
Original post by Katiecollins
I've got an interview for Brighton on 7th March. I'm absolutely bricking it but now reading this I'm a bit calmer thank you haha..I hate not knowing what to expect and how to answer correctly. :/

Hey, don't worry too much about Brighton. I found it really relaxed and although I believed there were better people than me in my group I still got an offer :smile: Also, they told me we would have a decision after 2 weeks .... turned out to be nearer 5! x
Reply 17
Original post by Katiecollins

Heya, I have an interview at brighton too on the 7th! Are you applying to do early years or upper primary? xx
Original post by --Lauren
Heya, I have an interview at brighton too on the 7th! Are you applying to do early years or upper primary? xx

5-11 year olds! :smile: what about you? I'm so nervousss haha xx
Original post by Jem_x
Hey, don't worry too much about Brighton. I found it really relaxed and although I believed there were better people than me in my group I still got an offer :smile: Also, they told me we would have a decision after 2 weeks .... turned out to be nearer 5! x

Oh good! Thank you! :smile: oh haha my patience won't hold that long :tongue: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending