The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fudgesundae
Worcester - conservative (but not overly private school like New, Magdalen, ChCh), very sporty, laid back.

New - not really sure, I've heard, big, arrogant, private schooly, rich, fit girls.

Ill be starting at New from October so I guess ill find out then!

I wonder which of those adjectives most drew you to new :wink: haha

And nice, I start at Worcester in October but I almost picked New which is why i was interested :smile: What subject are you going to be studying?
Original post by hideousnight

[*]Left-wing Would not be happy in a college full of Rahs etc, I'm fairly left-wing (though not too politically active).
[*]High proportion of state-school students For the same reason as above really.

I'd avoid Oriel looking at those. Just come Worcester, it's apparently not that central but it feels close to everything
Original post by nexttime
What do you consider to be the 'traditional side of things'? If you are only talking about living around old buildings then just being in Oxford will be far more exposure than 99.9% of the world gets.

Catz is a nice college - you'll have a good time.

Original post by Incarnadine91
Not at all! I'm a historian so my fascination with 'oldness' is pretty high too, but my time at Catz has still been awesome and I haven't regretted applying here for a second. It's important to remember that although you might live in a modern college, you can go visit any of the older colleges at any time and soak up the atmosphere - you're in no way isolated from the traditional side! And in the mean time, Catz provides some of the day-to-day modern comforts (such as double glazing, decent heating, en suites, cheap but good food, and one of the best-supplied common rooms in the city) that some of the other colleges lack. True, our use of ritual and tradition isn't as high as elsewhere - you won't be wearing your gown to dinner, for example - but again, it's really easy to go visit friends in other colleges if you want to experience that. And we do have our own traditions, such as rivalry with Magdalen and celebrating the feast of St Catherine's with a massive formal party.

You are in no way going to miss out on anything by going to a college that isn't one of the big famous ones. Catz is genuinely a brilliant place to belong to, all colleges have their downsides of course but being modern isn't intrinsically one of them. In fact, judging how bloody cold it is at the minute when I go and visit my friends elsewhere, compared to my lovely toasty room, I'd say the upsides are pretty sweet :wink:

Thank you for your replies! I did mean traditional things like old buildings and rituals; it's good to hear that I will still be able to experience those. And nice accommodation is definitely a plus :biggrin:
Original post by dnumberwang
I'd avoid Oriel looking at those. Just come Worcester, it's apparently not that central but it feels close to everything

That's so weird, the only person from my college who got in for English last year went to Oriel.

Getting a lot of recommendations for Worcester :smile:

It is the most popular college, after all :wink:
That's so weird, the only person from my college who got in for English last year went to Oriel.

How about Balliol? :smile:

(Although it doesn't really matter wherever you go, as it's nice to have a mix of political views in every college.)
I tried to put this in the Colleges board but it won't let me :s-smilie:

So basically, here's the situation: I applied to Wadham College this year, got an interview and then got rejected. I absolutely adored Wadham and it's made me want to re-apply to Oxford next year (please don't discuss whether or not I should be re-applying because I've already decided etc). However, I've been told that I shouldn't apply to Wadham again because they are massively oversubscribed for English (which is what I'm applying for) and also if they realise I was rejected they could instantly reject me or compare me to how I did and if I'm not hugely better reject me :frown:

So, here's what I want from a college:

Pretty. Yeah yeah probably a really bad reason to pick somewhere but I don't want to stay in a big ugly building when all of the other colleges are pretty :frown:

Good location. I liked where Wadham was... I imagine they all have a good location but I would not be happy being really far away from everything like St Hugh's.

Left-wing Would not be happy in a college full of Rahs etc, I'm fairly left-wing (though not too politically active).

High proportion of state-school students For the same reason as above really.

I just want a fun college like Wadham :frown: help!

I would suggest either Catz or Hertford, got friends at both who seem to love it. Catz isnt very pretty, neither is the back of Hertford, it has a nice front quad though (good bar too).
I have just been accepted by Keble College!

Just have to prove that I have access to £18,675.00 to fund myself! Time to start researching accommodation!
Hey there, I was just curious as to which college people would discern as seeing to be the 'most respectable' college for Natural(Physical) Sciences at Cambridge, and Physics(Oxford). I'm just curious, and I am well-informed that all colleges which offer these courses are splendid, but are there any statistics which expounds upon which college is better? Thank you.
Whichever college you go to you have lectures with everyone from the whole of the uni so the only thing different is tutorials. I really doubt the teaching is better at any college but I would say that Trinity Cambridge is the most prestigious college simply because Newton went there.
'Respectability' is not something that varies between colleges. You all take the same exam at the end of the day.

Look at factors like accommodation provision, costs, maybe location, aesthetics, other facilities, maybe tutors, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
'Respectability' is not something that varies between colleges. You all take the same exam at the end of the day.

Look at factors like accommodation provision, costs, maybe location, aesthetics, other facilities, maybe tutors, etc.

This. If you take a paper and your college doesn't feel its tutors are the best available to teach you that subject, you'll be sent elsewhere to study it anyway.

Choose a college based on cost, aesthetic preferences and atmosphere, not on your perception of its 'respectability'.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
whats brasenose like? <--- sorry for the incredibly broad question, but anything you have to say, id appreciate :smile:
Original post by tooambitious
whats brasenose like? <--- sorry for the incredibly broad question, but anything you have to say, id appreciate :smile:

Perhaps you could narrow your question by taking a look at the website, prospectus and and the TSr wiki?

All i will say though, since you won't find it elsewhere, is that took a huge leap in popularity since David Cameron became PM (Cameron being a Brasenose alumnus). Shows how fickle college choice is really, doesn't it!

All i will say though, since you won't find it elsewhere, is that [Brasenose] took a huge leap in popularity since David Cameron became PM (Cameron being a Brasenose alumnus). Shows how fickle college choice is really, doesn't it!

This kind of thing is hugely interesting. On another thread I've floated the idea that the recent leaping up the league tables by Exeter University, begun in 2004*, might have been the product of a "JK Rowling factor", and you'd need only a couple of thousand extra applicants to suddenly boost scores in both 'applicants per place' and its corollary 'A-level tariff on entry'.

Apologies for the digression.

*The 18 year olds who were 12 for Philosopher's Stone.
Perhaps you could narrow your question by taking a look at the website, prospectus and and the TSr wiki?

All i will say though, since you won't find it elsewhere, is that took a huge leap in popularity since David Cameron became PM (Cameron being a Brasenose alumnus). Shows how fickle college choice is really, doesn't it!

What is the atmosphere like?, im thinking of applying there rater than Chch (my school probably wouldnt 'support' my application there :s), any stereotypes?
Original post by cambio wechsel
This kind of thing is hugely interesting. On another thread I've floated the idea that the recent leaping up the league tables by Exeter University, begun in 2004*, might have been the product of a "JK Rowling factor", and you'd need only a couple of thousand extra applicants to suddenly boost scores in both 'applicants per place' and its corollary 'A-level tariff on entry'.

Apologies for the digression.

*The 18 year olds who were 12 for Philosopher's Stone.

Possibly, but another possibility is the Colin Gunn effect. This is the year that Nottingham's popularity started falling because of Shottingham. Exeter was traditionally known as the place middle class parents sent their daughters because it was safe. Was there a move away from gritty urban locations that year?
What is the atmosphere like?, im thinking of applying there rater than Chch (my school probably wouldnt 'support' my application there :s), any stereotypes?

Something like 'atmosphere' is inevitably hard to measure accurately; as with any place, it depends on the people you get to know. Brasenose does stereotypically have a high proportion of private schoolers, but 47% are still state-schooled based on the latest figures, so do take that with a rather large pinch of salt.

My general advice is to pick you college based on tangible factors like aesthetics, location, facilities, accommodation, rather than unrepresentative factors like stereotypes or 'atmosphere' (the latter invariably based on a single open day, or 1 or 2 anonymous internet opinons).

I am not from BNC but have seen a supposedly typical 2nd year room - it was tiny in comparison to eve the smallest Merton rooms, albeit in a great location so not to be overly scoffed at when compared to other colleges. ChCh does have a reputation for having some great rooms available, which is true of the one i have actually seen, by contrast. Have a look at rates and what info is available on the website for more info.

When I was being interviewed at Exeter I had a look round some of the other colleges and ended up in Brasenose's JCR. A 3rd year English student started talking to me straight away and invited me inside for tea and biscuits. Generally the students seemed really nice, although there was definitely a higher proportion of interviewees in suits than at Exeter :tongue: There are stereotypes at every college. Brasenose does have a fairly high % of privately educated students, but I wouldn't take that to mean anything in terms of the general atmosphere. :smile: If you can, I'd recommend visiting. It's easy to get a sense of whether a college is right for you once you have a look round.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending